Search

Good Seats for Gypsy on Broadway

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2003, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good Seats for Gypsy on Broadway

Hi,
My family and I will be going to see Gypsy on July 5th. Can anyone suggest good seats for us to try and get?
Thank you
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 05:38 PM

I don't understand your question. Do you mean what seats should you ask for when you order tickets? Or are you asking where you can get good tickets for the show?
With July 5 only 3+ weeks away, it won't be easy to get choice seats. The show is selling out on weekends.
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 06:03 PM

With this short notice, www.ebay.com is probably your best bet. I just checked their web site and there are lots of good seats available for July (not sure of your date though). You'll love it!
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 07:38 PM

When we were there Nicole Kidman was sitting on the aisle, 8th row back, so those must be pretty good seats! (We had box seats, which were close but not the best for full views.)
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 05:19 AM
Original Poster

Thankyou for all your replys. I have never used e-bay for theater tickets.
How are you sure they are good tickets. also where on the web is a good place to get broadway tickets. and Yes where in the theater would be a good place to sit?.
There are 6 of us and we hope to go to the 2:00pm show on Sat. July 5th
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 08:07 AM

To answer a couple of your questions:
*I believe that usually the seat locations are listed on ebay.
*Unless you are extremely (and I do mean extremely) lucky, you're not going to have the luxury of choice when it comes to location for a July 5 performance of Hairspray. The show is a sellout! Be happy just to get tickets....and start working on it now!
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 08:39 AM
xaimimgr

HowardR
OK, I give, where did orig poster say they wanted to see Hairspray?
tdahms: We had row L, seats 21-23 in the Orch. Off to the side, but very good for us. Enjoyed Bernadette and the show very much

Old Jun 18th, 2003, 08:56 AM

tdahms - You can see a layout of the theatre usually on ebay or on the ticketmaster, playbill, or show website. You'll see where the seats are.
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 09:45 AM

I don't think you'll find good seats for a play so soon. One hint tho, try looking for seats in pairs, (2, 2, 2) instead of 6 together. Slim chance of getting 6 togehter.
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 10:56 AM

Oops, you are correct, xaimimgr, I should have said Gypsy. However, the advice still applies, as that show is pretty much selling out, especially on weekends.
If I was tdahms, I'd stop posting and get tickets now!
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 10:08 PM

You asked about purchasing tickets on ebay.com

ONLY buy tickets where you know the exact seat location. Don't buy a pig in a poke. Most sellers will also show a seating chart or it's easy enough to find one for the Shubert Theater. Sellers have "feedback" from previous Buyers. You will know real quick if they have good feedback or not (most will have good feedback). Click the number next to the seller's screen name and you can read all the feedback. Like I said, I've had very good luck with tickets (especially last minute) in NYC and LA. If you purchase the tickets on ebay.com, pay the seller quickly. Remember, they too will be giving you feedback. I swear, anything you could ever want is somewhere on ebay.com especially good theater tickets at reasonable prices (ticket holders cancelling travel plans are my favorites....no redemption value so they just need to unload them). Good Luck!
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 04:58 PM

I would like to warn you about Ebay ticket sellers. While I've had many successful purchases of items, my experience with tickets was not a good one. The seller did not list the exact seat numbers, claiming "it wasn't safe." In his email he wouldn't give his telephone or address or last name. I doubted whether he even had the tickets in hand. He was supposed to email me back with the exact seat numbers the next day and did not. I emailed him that if I didn't hear from him I would have to secure tickets some other way. The next day he was "in his office" (why do I imagine rapper posters on the wall and his high school textbooks on the floor?). He turned very nasty. At this point I didn't trust him and didn't wish to risk giving him bad feedback as he had access to my personal info as a seller in a transaction. And note - he had a lot of positive feedback.

These Ebay ticket resellers are scalpers - if people didn't buy from them they wouldn't buy up tickets and you'd be able to pay regular price at the ticket office. And I think they go to the same afterlife as used-car salesmen.

(Howard, I wish to thank you for suggesting Chez Josephines and Bryant Park Grill!!) . Fantastic.)
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 05:00 PM

Meant to say - I saw Gypsy from the balcony (ordering the tickets from the online box office about 2-3 weeks before) and loved it. It's not a show where one has to be close to enjoy it, like some plays.
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 08:43 PM

Clematis confirms my point. DO NOT buy tickets on ebay from a "seller" who says something like "exact seat not identified to protect buyer" huh? why does the buyer need protection since they're going to be holding the tickets?...this is a crock! Any legit seller will tell you the exact seat location. I've bought MANY tickets on ebay and never had any problems whatsoever. Just make sure you know WHAT you're buying. I think Clematis is right in that there may be scalpers who "pre-sell" tickets before they buy them themselves. This is why they don't know the exact seats.

Again, you will LOVE Gypsy. Bernadette Peters has more talent, energy, enthusiasm than 99% of the entertainers 1/2 her age! You won't regret this choice. Let us know how you make out.
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 10:24 PM

For Broadway way tickets I have been happy Playbill.com Another site to look at is Broadway.com

On Playbill you can sign up for free and receive email specials.
Old Jun 20th, 2003, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

Hi,
Thanks everyone for you help.
We got the tickets form Playbill don't come and I think our seats or good.
Balconey row C seats 101-106 and the price wasn't so bad 70.00 a piece.
We are so excited about our trip.
Terri
Old Jun 20th, 2003, 08:43 AM

..."Playbill don't come"??!! Hmmm... Sounds like either a Freudian slip or a subliminal message!!!:-? In any case, enjoy!! (We're seeing it tomorrow night)
Old Jun 20th, 2003, 08:44 AM

At this point in time, it all depends on what's available and for that date, thes best seats are sold (thru telecharge or the box office). If you look on the telecharge website and request the 'best available seats' for your date, you'll see what they have left. Try to avoid seats far off to the sides. You may be able to getter 'center' seats' through a broker (above the ticket price) or ebay. In most Broadway theaters, even the worst seats aren't terrible.