Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Good restaurant for mother-daughter supper in Upper West Side, NY?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2019, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hoping for a couple of recommendations for a restaurant for this weekend (I know, last-minute) for a mother-daughter (young adult college-aged daughter) supper. Our hotel is in the Upper West Side (Hotel Beacon on Broadway at 75th) and we are meeting another mother-daughter couple for dinner. It doesn't HAVE to be within walking distance of our hotel, but not too far, and a neighborhoody-type restaurant with good food, service and ambience is what we seek. I've never stayed in the Upper West Side before -- I would appreciate your recommendations.
Old May 23rd, 2019, 04:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
These three are good and within a few blocks walk. Check their menus to see what appeals to you :

Tessa

Ella Kitchen & bar

www.noiduecafe.com

Calle Ocho Restaurant | NYC
Old May 24th, 2019, 04:09 AM

We also like Calle Ocho. Two other good restaurants near the Beacon are Cesca (Italian) and Nice Matin (French bistro).

The Beacon has a list of recommended restaurants that you can get when you check in.

Have a great trip!
Old May 24th, 2019, 10:20 AM

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
I stayed at The Beacon with some girlfriends. It's a great little hotel and location

We walked to the Cafe Luxembourg, to meet another friend who lives in the Upper West Side. She chose it for our dinner, and we all enjoyed it.

https://cafeluxembourg.com
Old May 24th, 2019, 10:43 AM

I've eaten at both Nice Matin and Cafe Luxembourg, I think they are both good choices, also.
Old May 25th, 2019, 08:50 AM

The Nice Matin restaurant, adjacent to the Lucerne hotel, is quite good and reasonably priced.
Old May 26th, 2019, 07:35 AM

Please report back on where you went.
Old May 26th, 2019, 07:39 AM

Please let us know where you decided to go.
Old May 26th, 2019, 08:31 AM

Nice Martin does not cut it for me or UWS friends.

Crave Fishbar and the Mermaid Inn are good choices.

Not celebratory but highly recommended are one of the best bagel places in the City is Absolute. Barney Greengrass is also a must
Old May 26th, 2019, 08:59 AM

The food options in this area are not great. Leonti if you want something sort of fancy. The Ribbon is always solid. Spiga for Italian (it's very tiny).
Old May 27th, 2019, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the recommendations! The Beacon was fine; we got one of their suites to have a little more room, and it had a tiny, tiny kitchenette and a small living room, and three clothes closets — it felt a little like a tiny, old city apartment and I wondered if it had originally been built as an apartment building and been converted into a hotel - it reminded me of a hotel in Chicago where we used to stay on family trips because it was next to the Hancock Tower and near the American Girl Doll Store (important at the time!) and had a little kitchen and living room (called the Seneca) and was old and reasonably priced. Well, one day as we were in the elevator at the Beacon a woman got on with a sack of clothes and laundry detergent and I said “Are there laundry facilities here?” And she said “Yes. I LIVE here.” I said I had wondered if it was built as an apartment building. She said “there aren’t many of us left.”

Also — the last time we went to Chicago I tried to book the Seneca and couldn’t find it listed. We went by the building out of curiosity and learned it had turned into condos.

ANYWAY - we had dinner the first night at Cafe Luxembourg and really enjoyed it, and the next two nights we ended up meeting friends or family for supper and they were in other locations so we spent a lot of time Ubering to different areas. One night we had supper at Park Avenue Soring, which I learned is a restaurant that changes its theme as the seasons change, and we were there on the last night of Soring. It closed to convert to Park Avenue Summer and our waitress said everything would change — the menu, the decor, the uniforms the waitstaff wear, even the hand soap in the restrooms (lavender when we were there).

the other night we were there for supper we ate at Uplands near Gramercy Park.

We had breakfast near the Beacon at a bagel place (but sadly not the recommended one above because I didn’t yet have the recommendation!) and lunch one day at the Boathouse in Central Park (which had excellent Eggs Benedict) and lunch another day at 2nd Avenue Deli.

It was a lovely trip. Thanks all.
Old May 27th, 2019, 02:01 PM

Glad you enjoyed the trip. Re meeting people in the elevator: my SIL rode down with Joan Baez earlier this month. She had performed at the Beacon Theater.
Old Jul 5th, 2019, 06:17 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Gosh, the Beacon elevator is definitely the IN place. Thanks for linking me to this most informative thread, VT.

Thanks for the feedback, bakerstreet, and for starting this thread. Most useful for my upcoming visit to NYC in September when I will be staying....guess where?

I wonder what it is about the Beacon that attracts Fodorites.
Old Jul 5th, 2019, 09:02 AM

The Hotel Beacon was always a hotel, but it was a residential hotel, and still is. That means they always had some rooms with kitchenettes, etc., that could be rented as an apartment, and originally that had some unfurnished and some furnished, you could choose. You read about various rich people living in some hotels for many years in NY, actually, even today, that hotel as some regular residents.
Old Jul 5th, 2019, 01:43 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Christina - there used to be many such hotels in the UK where elderly people live out their last years in relative comfort with the services of a hotel but relative independence. They were particularly popular on the coast of the UK and they kept many a hotel going just like in Fawlty Towers. As for rich people living in hotels for many years both Elaine Strich and Richard Harris lived at the Savoy for a long time.