Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Maui, hawaii.....kapalua or kaanapoli area?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2019, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are "blindly" booking a condo in Hawaii and wish to be in the heart of fun, activity, GOLF, tennis, restaurants, the beach,and tourist attractions. Are Kapalua and Kaanapoli areas good choices? Thanks very much!
Old Jun 26th, 2019, 06:49 PM

Nope. Go to the Wailea area.
Old Jun 26th, 2019, 08:52 PM

I love all of them, but Kapalua will be too sedate for you. I Dig Napili's vibe. Find Kaanapali to be too highrisey, but always manage to visit Whalers Village and Hula Grill.

We have stayed in most categories of hotel 5 star to 2 in Wailea. It's all good for us. Good snorkeling can be found and its a quick hop to Paia and Kihei will keep you grounded.

Curious Sylvia, what was your thinking behind suggesting Wailea?
Old Jun 26th, 2019, 10:22 PM

We’ve stayed in Napili and like it very much. Beach is great. Kaanapali is a long line of hotels and restaurants, it’s not as charming as Napili but has benefits being close to restaurants. Kapalua might be a bit too far/quiet but if you have a car does it matter?
Old Jun 27th, 2019, 05:56 AM

I’ve stayed in all of them and it’s so personal. We like Kaanapali because it’s “busy-active” despite the fact the hotels have more stories (they’re not exactly skyscrapers), but we were at the Hyatt last year and the pool was way TOO crowded. I still think Kaanapali Alii condos are a great choice if you don’t need a resort-style pool. Kapalua is a little far north although very pretty. Napili is beautiful, but not much going on there. Paia is a hippie-vibe beach town right in the middle. Kihei is my least favorite because although the beaches are beautiful, the area is not what you think of when you picture “tropical paradise”. That leaves Wailea, which is lovely, with beautiful hotels, great beaches and a long beachside walking path.

Bottom line, for what you want (golf, shopping, eating) I might choose Wailea.
Old Jul 5th, 2019, 02:24 PM

Kapalua is a bit out of the way so you wonʻt feel like you are in the heart of the action. If you want it all then Lahaina would be a better bet. Walking out of your hotel and into the streets to find great meals, stores and other interesting sites. Kaanapali is great as it has all those things you mention you want and has a wonderful beach and Whalers Village shopping too. You can always take the 10 min ride to get more action (Lahaina) or less action (Napili).