Good eats in Austin

May 5th, 2004, 03:49 PM
Original Poster

Good eats in Austin

We are in Austin for 4 days.Besides BBQ and Mexican, I need two more restaurants: I am thinking about Jeffries and a new one called Moonshine. Also would consider Eddie V's and what is the electic one , a cafe?

Has anyone been to Moonshine? It and the electic one are more informal, and then a "better" one would be Jeffries or Eddie V's.

Which one out of those categories and any other suggestions?
May 5th, 2004, 05:40 PM

Jeffery's is what I would consider formal (I haven't eaten there, but what I've read it is)

Are you looking for finer dining or anything we'd recommend???

I enjoy Shady Grove, Magnolia Cafe, Katz' Deli, Texicalli Grill, Hula Hut & Chuy's (Mexican). All casual places...we have a 2 YO, so we don't eat "fancy"

If you want more formal dining, I'll ask my husband as he eats downtown at least once a week.
May 5th, 2004, 05:58 PM

I prefer Kirby Lane to Magnolia's but both are good for breakfast/brunch/lunch. I would also encourage you to try Basil's if like Italian.
May 5th, 2004, 06:54 PM

When I was in Austin (good while back) I ate at Threadgill's. It was a neat place & had live music.
May 5th, 2004, 07:16 PM
Original Poster

Well i am looking for one really special dinner and one more casual but still great food.

The special night would be either Eddie V's or Jeffreys

The nice casual evening would be Moonshine or something Cafe( the name escapes me).
In addition, we will do Mexican one night and BBQ the other and we already have those mapped out.
May 5th, 2004, 07:51 PM

Try the Oasis for lunch. There's 40 decks hanging on the side of a cliff 450 feet above Lake Travis. Many like to go watch the sunset over the lake and hills, but it's really busy then. It's a must see if you've never been. Check their website at Oasis-Austin.com Hope you try the Saltlick for Bar-be-que. That may be a thread of it's own, "where's the best bar-be-que?"
May 5th, 2004, 08:08 PM

Oh, by the way. The Salt Lick does not take credit cards if you decide to go there. Plates with a choice of two meats are around $9 and all you can it with 4 meats about $13. Peach cobbler is extra!
May 7th, 2004, 02:03 PM

Moonshine is ok. It was cute, and enjoyable...but nothing stood out. I just had to try their "shake and bake" chicken...and all it turned out to be was a very salty chicken parmigiano. Did you perhaps mean Castle Hill Cafe? Very good, but not casual in price...$20/entrees. There's also Cafe Josie, and East Side Cafe, which again averages $20/entree+. All of those are good...though Castle Hill is the best.

Eddie V's...well I've only been once. I could marry the wild mushroom salad, but neither my husband nor I found their fish items to be remotely interesting.

I recommend Roaring Forks if only for their Fondue appetizer. It is baby lamb chops and roasted squash for dipping in a delicious cheese fondue. Out of this WORLD. Their entrees were fairly good, definitely on the "game" side...but I hear you can dine in the bar area and get a very good hamburger and appetizers if you want to make that a more casual dining experience.

It simply depends on what you mean by "casual"...traditional Austin casual (true traditional, not "New Commercial Austin" traditional) Austin would be far removed from things like Moonshine and those others I mentioned. East Side cafe used to be on the nice side...but I suppose now you could call it casual in comparison to places like Jeffries. And at least it's been around for longer then 5 years

Threadgills is CERTAINLY not what it used to be AT ALL, but it's still something I would recommend to people to get a hint of the old Austin flavor. But the OLD one, not the lame new one on Riverside. But it is true southern style cooking, not like Moonshines "New South" cooking.
May 14th, 2004, 08:08 PM
Jayne1973

I bet the ...Cafe you are talking about is Magnolia Cafe.

May 30th, 2004, 08:20 AM

Jeffrey's, Vespaio on S. Congress and the pricy "wild game" place by the Lake, "Houston or Horton by the Bend or something" are great.
I'll never forget Jeffrey's as we had a totally relaxing dinner there on 9/11/01, and have been back.
Vespaio does not take reservations after 6:00 PM, but larger parties seem to get preference.
M
Austin is fun, enjoy!
Jul 15th, 2004, 06:54 PM

I will never forget Jeffrey's either. I had the best filet mignon I've ever had there. And I've had a few filets.

A couple more suggestions are Mars for unusual pan-Asian, Thistle on 6th (brand new!) for light, upscale fare, and Aquarelle for French.
Jul 15th, 2004, 07:03 PM

Oh, and as I replied in the other Austin food thread, Asti in Hyde Park is always a winner.

Search this Thread