Search

Golf on Kauai

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 06:26 AM
Galf72

Golf on Kauai

Hi,

Any particular order as to preference in playing the courses? Early AM or Late PM?
Our trip will be in July, 8 days with 5 days of golf! We will be staying in Kapaa.

--Princeville Prince and Makai, Kauai Lagoons Kiele and Mokihana and Puakea.

Also.. what sites to visits, places to eat near each course?

Any feedback from your experiences is greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 12:18 AM
Burta

The tee time depends on what you're used to as it can get pretty warm in the afternoons. I live in Hawaii and always prefer early morning. As you're planning your times, though, bear in mind that Princeville is a little farther from Kapaa than Poipu, where the Kauai Lagoons is. Unless you're a real golf nut and used to driving in the dark to start at the crack of dawn, 9-ish might be a good time at Princeville.

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 07:35 PM
jo

We play at a public course on the south end of Kauai. it's cheap, no reservations, but not the most interesting or well kept. Beautiful views from the top of the mountain. Other courses are expensive, Hyatr-regency has one.

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 09:03 AM
Tom

Whats the name of the public course at Poipu?

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 06:05 AM
galf72

Thank you for your help.. Also, we booked our trip through HawaiiGolfDeals that also offers a golfcard.. green fees at reduced rates. They advertise in the Golf Magazine, featured in the Feb or Mar issue!

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 06:22 AM
Kal

Tom-I think jo may be talking about Kukuilono. It's located up in Kalaheo and is built up on a hill. While the views may rival the Princeville course, the actual golf course is not as well mantained but very enjoyable. It's perfect for my wife as she's still a beginner and perfect for a duffer like me to practice the irons/short game.

It it very inexpensive, the people who run it are very nice and afterwards you can hit either the Kalaheo Steak House or the Brick Oven Pizza on the way back.

The other pub course in the Poipu area is Kiahuna. Nice "inland" golf course, still has some nice ocean views and the course maintenance was improved from last year.
Kiahuna Joe's is the nice restaurant at the course. Good breakfasts. Pretty inexpensive for Poipu.

Galf-If you're golfing in July, you may wish to get and early/later start due to the sun. I've never been over in July but my local buddy told me it does get pretty steamy sometimes in the summer. 30+ SPF !
Since you're staying in Kapaa, a "golfers location", the Wailua Pub course is less than 5 mins away, Marriott's courses 5-10 mins away and my fave The Grove-Puakea 10-15 mins away. Nothin' better than finishing off 18 (or 20 @ The Grove!) holes of beautiful golf than with a beer and
some pupus at The Whaler Brew Pub up on the bluff past the Marriott (hopefully they have their poop together-cuz it's a beautiful view) or an ice cold one at Duke's.
Try this website or use a search engine using "kauai/hawaii golf discounts" :http://www.alohadestinations.com/golf/kauai/courses.html
Mahalo,
Kal
249!

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 05:34 AM
galf72

Thanks everyone for your comments!

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 08:22 PM
Brenda

The public course on the south shore is Kukioliono in Kalaheo. Very inexpensive 9 hole course on top of mountain. Great course if you want to glof cheaply and is nice for beginners also. Best golf deal on the island. Have fun!