Search

Golf At Hilton Head

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2002, 09:26 AM
Greg

Golf At Hilton Head

Hello fellow golfers. I am going to Hilton Head Island next month and would like to play 2 rounds of golf. I am a 15 handicap, not real long but accurate. Which courses would everybody recommend. Thanks

Old May 10th, 2002, 09:37 AM
me

well..living in HH...I would always recommend Harbourtown first it is the one with the famous lighthouse that is played during the PGA- worldcom classic..but it is over $200, for decent rates try the ocean course in Sea Pines and Golden Bear in Indigo Run, the best course here is Colleton River but you won't be playing there unless you can find a memeber to go w/ you. Stop in at 2-11 park it is a rest/bar popular for golfers to hang out especially weekends, great people watching and delicious food...75-80 wines by the glass.

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 06:44 PM
barnett

Try Palmetto Hall, the Arthur Hill course and the National Hilton course. Both are very nice and challenging. Expect to pay about $60 greens fee for Palmetto Hall and $55 for Hilton Head National. Both are public courses. Good luck.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 10:54 AM
hacker

Greg,

Harbourtown would be a memorable round, but as 'me' says, very expensive.
If you can afford it, check for tee-times now. Even at the price, it fills up.
The Arthur Hills course at Palmeto Hall gets raves. There is an interesting Robert Cupp design there, too. Bob used all geometric shapes for hi course: triangles, rectangles, pyramids, and so on. Very different.
Off-island, check Old South. It's about a half mile beyond the end of the bridge on/off the island. If you can go during high-tide, even better. There are 5 or 6 holes that are set over marsh, and when the tide is in, you shoot from 'island to island'. Wicked cool!
About a mile further is Hilton Head National. A Gary Player design. Well-groomed and well-maintained. A good challenge, fair and not tricked up.
Another mile or two brings you to "The Crescent" an Arnold Palmer design and a delight to play.
Just beyond the Crescent, you turn left at the "Old Carolina" sign and go to the Old Carolina course. Tough but very enjoyable.
ANother 2 miles or so on Rte 278 brings you to Eagle Pointe, a Davis Love design. ALso a fun course.
Another 2 miles and you're at Sun City with its new Hidden Cyprus course. Very well thought of by those who've played it.
Almost every one of these courses has some kind of special in place now for green fees. Tourist volume is down, so there are deals available.
Have fun.

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 07:16 AM
Ray

I played the Fazio course at Palmetto Dunes last Thursday. It's in excellent condition. The front at 3143 yds has a lot of reachable holes for a shorter hitter.The back's a little longer put still enjoyable. Green fee around $78.