Going to Yankee Game from Times Sq. on Subway

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 08:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I was looking on the MTA website, but it's bamboozling me (frighteningly easy to do, BTW)--just looking for any tips on taking the subway from my hotel, the Paramount, in Times Square, to Yankee Stadium on Aug.13 (Sunday)...the game is 1:00, and it would be nice to arrive a bit early (12-12:30)...do I take the D train? That seems like the best bet as far as I can tell...where do I pick it up? Which station do you recommend? Thanks much!!
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 08:42 PM
Original Poster

Ok, I think I have it scoped out--D train from 42nd & 6th Ave. in Times Square to Yankee Stadium...what train should I take back to Times Square after the game? I assume the D train?...Thank you very much!
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 01:43 AM

The D train doesn't go to Times Square.

Take the 1 or A or C train to Columbus Circle, then pick up the D train to the Bronx and get off at 161st Street/Yankee Stadium.

To return to Times Square, take the D, then the 1.

You can find the route using HopStop.com.
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:27 AM

I'd do it a different way.

Take the shuttle from Times Square to Grand Central, then transfer to the uptown 4 train, an express that offers a great view of the Stadium upon arrival.

(The shuttle ride is like 2 minutes.)

Reverse it to get back -- 4 to shuttle.

Enjoy!
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:55 AM

From where you are staying, the closest subway stop is 42nd and 6th Ave and take the D train all the way up to Yankee Stadium. That will be the easiest way for you to get there, since the D is an express train. From 42nd St it's only 4 stops.
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 10:15 AM

Twelve or 12:30 isn;t early for a 1 pm game. Almost every game sells out, security is very heavy and getting 55,000 people through can cause massive lines.

Also - if you get there early you can go to Momument Park ( retired numbers and memorials for Ruth, Gehrig, Di Maggio, Mantle and all the other Yankee grats. but it closes 45 minutes before game time.) Never mind the chance to see BP etc.

For a 1 pm game I would arrive no later than 11 or 11:30 am.
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 08:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks very much for the great suggestions everybody--per your suggestion, ny traveler, I will get there early, in the 11am hour, though I've been banished from Monument Park due to my lowly bleacher tickets (insert doh! here)
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 04:56 AM

Well- you may not see monument park but you'll have a great view of the outfielders - and perhaps the on-field practice.

And you can take part in the bleacher creature chanting at the start of the game - roll call of the players until each acknowledges his name to the bleachers.
Old Aug 5th, 2006, 07:53 PM
Original Poster

Good points, nytraveler...there's nothing like the real fans/bleacher creatures!...It sounds like Yankee bleacher creatures have the best and most creative chants anywhere in MLB--for instance, upon being taunted by the denizens of the more expensive seats with their beer/wine, chanting "alcoholics!"