Harlem Bus/Subway question

Old Nov 17th, 2008, 04:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Harlem Bus/Subway question

A student employee of mine is going to NYC by herself (she's 22) next week and will be attending a show at 175th & Broadway in Harlem, but she's staying on 48th & Lexington. The show is over at 11-11:30 p.m., so she's concerned about the best way to get back to her hotel. The nearest subway/bus stop is 168th.

She said her mother is worried about her walking from 175th to 168th at that time of night, and then riding back to 48th. My experience is that there are still plenty of people out and about at that time of night, although I've never been in that area before.

Any suggestions, etc., will be greatly appreciated!
Old Nov 17th, 2008, 06:48 AM

I'm sure somebody more knowledgeable about the NYC system will come along, but I'm certain that there's a subway station at 174/175, and IMHO she should take that down to the stop closest to her hotel and do her extra walking at the midtown end of her trip rather than uptown.
Old Nov 17th, 2008, 07:09 AM
mp

She's going to the United Palace - http://www.theunitedpalace.com/home.htm
She's in for a treat. The most gorgeous venue. Really beautiful. And for those of you old enough to remember - it's where Rev. Ike used to broadcast his Sunday morning gospel service from.

First off, it's very safe - and easy to get to. The train will be packed with hipsters and nerds. (I went last month to a Sigur Ross concert - TONS of hipsters. I'm a 53 year old woman and I felt VERY safe both in the train and out.) Lots of people, and the police directing traffic around the theatre. it's a busy commercial corner, with a few restaurants and shops and such.

But the best way for her to get there is to take the A train to 175th Street - she will exit the train, and follow the crowd one block to Broadway and 175th St. it will be obvious where everyone is going. Allow about 30 - 40 minutes from midtown going up and about an hour coming back.
She should NOT take the 1 train - it takes forever.

When she takes the A train going home she can get off at 59th Street and take a cab back to her hotel (about $7.00) or switch to the local C train at 59th Street and get off at 50th Street, then walk to Lexington & 48th from there - personally I'd spend the 7 bucks and take a cab, it will be around 11:30 and she'll be tired . . .
Not sure what's there next week - who is she going to see? Neil Young plays first week in Dec. - my husband is going to several shows. He's a nut.
Old Nov 17th, 2008, 07:54 AM

I would just walk down to Grand Central, take the S shuttle to Times Square, and jump on the A train.

Remember, The Bronx is Uptown or North and Brooklyn is Downtown or South.
Old Nov 17th, 2008, 08:29 AM

GoTravel, walk down to Grand Central from WHERE (surely not 175th and Broadway)?
Old Nov 17th, 2008, 08:41 AM

LOL! Walk to Grand Central from 48th and Lex!
Old Nov 17th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

mp - She's going to Maxwell on Nov. 23rd.

I forwarded the suggestions to her and she (and I'm sure her mother, once she's informed) is very pleased with the information.

She's a little concerned about going by herself but I told her to enjoy not having to check with anyone else about what she's going to do, when she gets up, etc. She's going to be in NYC for three days and originally was going to stay in Queens but decided two weeks ago to find something in the city, hence the 48th & Lexington hotel.

Thanks!
Old Nov 17th, 2008, 12:57 PM
mp

happy to help a fellow live music fan . . .

really the space is gorgeous kind of stunning, really, and a great history - have her check the the website.
Old Nov 17th, 2008, 01:29 PM
mp

Oh - make sure she has enough $on her metro card for a round trip, because the token booth at the most convenient entrance/exit will be closed on her return trip, and if she needs to refill her card, she'll have to walk a block or 2 south to the other entrance.