Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Transportation question: Kennedy Airport to 30 East 30th Street

Oct 2nd, 2003, 01:58 AM
Original Poster

This is my first trip to Manhattan and I'm a shoestring budget. I live in The Netherlands and am used to taking public transportation. Thank you. Margarita
Oct 2nd, 2003, 02:36 AM

There is a free shuttle bus to the A line (blue) subway stop near JFK. That line shoots by quite a few blocks west of your destination, but there are many ways to switch to another line to get closer.

I did nearly that same route in reverse against advice, but it was about $2 and pretty fast - just over an hour I think for riding 2 subway segments and bus. Explore http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/nyct/service/airport.htm
Oct 2nd, 2003, 05:38 AM

Margarita - the advice you've been offered about taking the shuttle bus to the A train is correct. If you plan to stay in NYC for more than a day or two don't just pay the $2 for a one way subway fare. Instead you should get a "metro card" - this is an unlimited ride pass. These cards are available for one day, five day and one week increments if I recall correctly. It greatly reduces the cost of riding the subway. You'll be pleased with the public transportstio system in NYC - it's excellent.
Oct 2nd, 2003, 07:13 AM

The closest subway station to your hotel is the #6 train at Park Ave and 28th St. Unfortunately, you must change trains twice to reach it.

Airport shuttle to A train (Howard Beach station)
A train (Manhattan bound) to Fulton St
Change to #4 or 5 train uptown (a bit of a walk up and down stairs)
Change at either Brooklyn Bridge (one stop) or Union Square (two stops) to the #6 train across the platform.
#6 takes you to 28th St.

You could take the A train all the way to 34th St and then transfer to a crosstown bus on going east on 34th, getting off at Madison Ave. Then you'd be four short blocks from our hotel.
Oct 2nd, 2003, 07:43 AM

You are being given the absolutely cheapest way to do this trip but should know there are a lot of steps involved in going by subway. So if you have lots of luggage you may be sorry. The easiest way to go is by taxicab (door to door). The ride is $35 fixed rate to anywhere in Manhattan plus $4 toll + tip ($5-6) so a total of $44. This is the rate for the cab, not per person (so if you're traveling with others, that's the price for everyone.)

There's also a bus that goes to Grand Central Station (42 & Lexington)for $13/person. For an additional $2 there's a shuttle bus from Grand centarl thta makes stops to hotels.

Here's a website that has info on all the options with links.

http://www.panynj.gov/aviation/jgtsfram.htm
Oct 2nd, 2003, 08:20 AM

Actually.... she ASKED for the cheapest way and she specified public transportation (or at the very least implied it)....

"... I'm a shoestring budget... am used to taking public transportation."

I can't see suggesting a $44 cab ride to a person in this situation whan a $2 subway will get them there. Just my opinion.
Oct 3rd, 2003, 03:00 AM

YOu hotel is just east of 5th Ave so the closest subway that will be convenient for you is the D line and it stops at 34th and 6th Ave/Broadway.

If you get on the A train at JFK, there is a way to get to the D train since they are the same line, but not sure which station. When you get to 34th St, walk south to 30th St and east to your hotel.

Have a great time while you are here.
Oct 3rd, 2003, 05:49 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone. I appreciate ALL answers and like to know what my available options are. I love all the detail you gave and the step by step instructions. Thank you again.
Margarita
Oct 3rd, 2003, 07:02 AM

Although the address is 30 East 30th, the hotel is between Madison and Park, further east than expected. The 6 train at Park and 28th is definitely closer than the D train at 34th and 6th, but I agree that switching from the A train to the D train and walking a bit more might be easier than the A-4/5-6 three-train connection.

You can switch from the A train to the D train at the West 4th St stop. Get off the D and walk to the back end of the platform to exit at 32nd and 6th Ave.