Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Glacier Nat'l Park & a family of 6-where to stay?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2015, 05:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have a two and a half week window to be in MT beginning in mid June and would like to visit GNP during that time. I have always wanted to stay at the Many Glacier lodge but the fact that we will need two rooms is making planning difficult. Thus far, the only time I can find space is before the planned opening of the GTS road. We would really like to be in the park about 10 days later when the road is open and the weather is warmer but are having trouble finding rooms on our dates. Wondering if we might do better with a home or condo in one of the nearby towns? We could spend 5 days there in that case so we would not be in a hurry and can drive into the park. What do you guys think?
Old Mar 16th, 2015, 07:13 PM

Lots of motels in Kalispell which is 32 miles from the west entrance of GNP.
Go to WWW.Kalispell.com , click on convention and visitors bureau and then lodging.
Old Mar 16th, 2015, 07:30 PM

When we went to GNP a few years ago with our family of 4, we rented two different holiday homes through VRBO, one in East Glacier and one in West Glacier. We really liked having the extra space and amenities at these vacation houses.

We did spend one night at Many Glacier Lodge, but the cost of two rooms, even the cheap "value-priced" ones we got, was more than one night in a full 3-bedroom vacation house. If you want to stay near Many Glacier, try to get accomomdations at the Swiftcurrent Motel. The rooms at the Many Glacier were expensive and not worth the money (poorly furnished and very noisy). However, I hear nothing but good things about Swiftcurrent.
Old Mar 17th, 2015, 04:40 AM

We were there last summer (family of five) and stayed at the Glacier Guides Lodge (main entrance) in two rooms (right next to each other) and then rented a cabin near the St. Mary's entrance through VRBO http://www.vrbo.com/240273#. We were happy with both choices. The lodge had a nice breakfast in the morning, and the manager was friendly and helpful. The cabin in St. Mary's was conveniently located and comfortable.
Old Mar 17th, 2015, 08:07 PM

We stayed in the Rising Sun Motel Rooms 2 years ago. We actually also started out wanting Many Glacier Lodge. Then I read reviews that discussed, no or minimal elevators, no air conditioning, paper thin walls, etc. and for that, a very high price tag. Rising sun worked out really well, close to hiking trails and Lake St Mary. We did a Red bus tour Crown of the Continent I think. They picked us up right in the Parking lot which saved time (and price). It is close to the St Mary Entrance so easy to get in and out to Two Medicine or Many Glacier and our trip up to Waterton for lunch one day. The Park Café just outside the St Mary Entrance was also wonderful for Buffalo Burgers and homemade pies. Breakfast was good there too.
Also since rising sun is a motel, no worry about stairs and just open the windows, they will also give you a fan if you need it. They had great pillows too! We spent 3 nights and really enjoyed our stay.
Old Mar 18th, 2015, 01:31 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the input. You have confirmed my inclinations.
Old Mar 23rd, 2015, 08:29 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Instead of Many Glacier hotel try Swiftcurrent Motor Inn just a mile or so away and right at the trailhead for the Iceberg Lake hike.

Also, very close to Fishercap Lake and its wildlife.
Old Mar 23rd, 2015, 01:59 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I think you have to make up a plan of what you want to see and do. Then try to plan your lodging accordingly.

Glacier has several very different parts to the park.

For my priorities (photography - wildlife & scenery) I would stay at Swiftcurrent Motor Inn and Rising Sun.

I've been there twice and would go back again and stay as I wrote above.