Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Glacier Lodging - Rising Sun or Glacier Trailhead Cabins or ??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25th, 2010, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi

We need to stay on the east side of Glacier NP for one night, near St Mary, and I am wondering whether to stay in the park at Rising Sun or at Glacier Trailhead Cabins, which is a couple miles north of St Mary or somewhere else.

Reason: We have reservations at Sperry Chalet and will be hiking in via the Gunsight Pass Trail out of the Jackson Glacier parking area - it's between Sunrift gorge and Logan pass - and we want to be close to the start of the hike. (It's a long hike, so we will be starting early)

Rising Sun is about 5 miles from the trailhead whereas Glacier Trailhead cabins are about 15 miles. Nearer is better but the TA reviews of Rising Sun don't seem too promising - musty, noisy etc.

Can anyone comment on either alternative? Can anyone compare Rising Sun to Swift Current? (We have stayed at Swift Current before and it was fine.) Does anyone have any other suggestions for lodging close to St Mary?

Thank you for any assistance that you ca provide.

Pamela
Old Nov 6th, 2010, 12:15 PM

Pamela,
It has been several years, but we stayed at Glacier Trailhead Cabins for 2-3 nights in June while visiting the east side of the park. I had to choose between Swiftcurrent and the cabins and I thought the cabins were a better deal at the time.
I remember that the cabin was clean, quiet, not really scenic onsite, but decent view, faced west so porch was very hot in the afternoon.

I am envious of your stay at Sperry. We did the 15-mile day hike from Logans Pass via Granite Park Chalet to Many Glacier and stopped for our lunch at that chalet, saying to ourselves that we would have loved to stay there longer, but had to push on to the end to catch the shuttle bus.
Old Nov 11th, 2010, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

Hi

Thanks for the input. We are really looking forward to the trip. Our Glacier trip was to be part of out training for our Phantom Ranch trip a couple of months later (down from the north rim, up to the south rim), however now that we have added the Sperry Chalet stay to our Glacier adventure, we need training hikes for Glacier.

Pamela