Ghost Tour of Old Monterey???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2023, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, we will be in Monterey this weekend celebrating my birthday! My husband and I and our teenage kids. We already have dinner reservations and plans for the 17 mile e-bike tour, hiking at Point Lobos and several other areas (hubby has the hiking figured out).

Looking for another type of activity; I came across Ghost Tour of Old Monterey. It has wonderful trip advisor reviews.... up until 2018. After that - none.

Google says it is permanently closed, but the booking calendar showed availability - confusing! I called and got hold of a gentleman that acted like that couldn't be right and sent me the link to where to buy tickets.

This all seems super sus to me. Has anyone done this tour? Why are there no reviews for the last 5 years?

Does anyone have any other ideas of evening activities that have some mix of history and activity?
Old Jul 17th, 2023, 12:25 PM
P_M

I looked up this company and I found several links to it. I see no reason you should be suspicious. I love ghost tours, although I don't believe all the ghost stories they tell us. It's all for fun. I would do it.
Old Jul 17th, 2023, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

I absolutely don’t care if the ghost stuff is true or not! Agree it’s all fun and a good tour brings in some interesting history!
I forgot to mention. There are some REALLY horrible reviews on Yelp. I don't usually look there but there was nothing after 2018 on Trip Advisor. The yelp reviews are definitely offputting. Talked about the guide no-showing, being rude, flaking in general. That's where my suspicion comes in.

Last edited by 4sammy234; Jul 17th, 2023 at 12:52 PM. Reason: addl info I forgot to mention!
Old Jul 17th, 2023, 02:27 PM
P_M

Just curious, did you check the reviewers to see if they're a one hit wonder? I wouldn't put it past competitors to do that. If the reviewers have many posts then maybe they have more credibility.

If your gut still tells you to give it a miss then always listen to your gut.
Old Jul 17th, 2023, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. There is an art to reviewing reviews, I know I decided to go with my gut. In other places where I've done ghost tours, there were lots to choose from and all had great reviews. This one felt like I was trying to make it happen.

We reserved a kayaking trip instead; there are nothing but great reviews and lots of companies offering them so that seems safer! Thanks for letting me talk this through!
Old Jul 17th, 2023, 04:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Kayaking is fun. But are you going to the aquarium....?
Old Jul 17th, 2023, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

Jean, don’t be mad. But no. I’m sorry ! We just want to do more active and outdoorsy stuff.
Old Jul 19th, 2023, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by 4sammy234
Thanks. There is an art to reviewing reviews, I know I decided to go with my gut. In other places where I've done ghost tours, there were lots to choose from and all had great reviews. This one felt like I was trying to make it happen.

We reserved a kayaking trip instead; there are nothing but great reviews and lots of companies offering them so that seems safer! Thanks for letting me talk this through!
You got it! Trusting your gut is key, mate! Sometimes you just gotta feel the vibe and go with what feels right. And hey, the kayaking trip sounds like a solid choice! 🚣‍♂️ Plenty of options and great reviews, can't go wrong there! 🌟 Enjoy the adventure and have a blast out on the water!