Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Monterey: Casa Munras Hotel Or BW Monterey Inn

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 07:59 PM
mt-x

Okay, I've narrowed down the choices where I want to stay: Casa Munras Garden Hotel or BW Monterey Inn.
They both look great but I'm debating which one to book and I need to hurry before they are sold out.
I like that Casa is closest to Fisherman's Wharf but I've read great reviews about the Monterey Inn. I'm not going to have a car so I'll be walking or riding public transit most of the time.
Then there's an alternative: I saw some great rates for the Monterey Bay Inn on Travelocity. The lowest rate they have is for a premier(?) room....(that's the way it was spelled on travelocity). Anyone every stay in the "premier" room at Monterey Bay Inn?

Old Jan 18th, 2003, 03:24 PM
Mark

The Monterey Bay Inn is to far away from anything within reason for walking.Its' a nice location right on the beach,but its a good 3/4 mile walk to the Wharf and Down town Monterey.I esp would not want to do this walk after dark.Casa Munras has a great Downtown location,and would be my prefered location/

Old Jan 19th, 2003, 10:49 PM
mt-x

You don't mean the BW Monterey Inn. The Monterey Bay Inn is on Cannery Row....isn't that close to the wharf and aquarium?
BW Monterey Inn is in a bad area?

The Casa Munras looks very nice.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 12:04 PM
Mark

Your'e right, my mistake, I confused the Best Western Monterey Inn with another hotel.Disregard my comments about the safety of the area.Both of these Hotels are in good areas,but I still give the edge to Casa Munras due to its proximity to Downtown Monterey.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 01:06 PM
ChildCare Lady

Hi...I recently stayed at the Monterey Plaza Hotel, and loved it. Close to Aquarium and Fisherman's Wharf (10 minute walk). We walked to and from the Wharf at night, and there was tons of people doing the same thing... very safe. Enjoy!

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 06:55 PM
mt-x

Were you talking about the Montery Inn? They have reasonable rates.
Thanks for your advice; I'm still debating on which two though I'm leaning towards Casa Munras...sounds very nice.......How long is the walk from Casa Munras to the wharf?

Old Jan 27th, 2003, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From Casa Munras to the Wharf is a 10 to 15 minute walk. The most interesting route is down Alvarado St.
which is the main downtown street in Monterey----many interesting shops, eateries, people watching, clubs, etc.