Getaway ideas from NYC

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 06:28 AM
Tina

Getaway ideas from NYC

Hello,
I'm planning a 3-4 days getaway from NYC, prefer 2-3 hours drive. It's going to be our first trip taking our 5-month daughter. Can anyone give me some recommendations? Thanks.

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 06:38 AM
Sarah

Working on the very plan at the moment. Go online and subscribe to www.smarterliving.com weekly saver fares

My personal favorite is Washington D.C. Catch the airfare on a good week at it is $89 to $118. It is only 20 minutes cab from my house to LGA, 30 minutes in the air another 10 minutes to downtown D.C. I like staying near the mall all the events are free. I have stayed at the Capital Hilton which is two blocks from the whitehouse next time I will try to be across the street from subway and closer to mall. Capital is fine but I like to save that walking energy.

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 06:57 AM
Dave

Mid-Hudson valley in the Rhinebeck area is very scenic areas with lots of history. Also, Princeton, NJ is nice.

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 07:00 AM
gc

2-3 hour drive could get you to Brooklyn...8^)

Depending on what you want, you've got the Lenox and Northampton areas in MA, the Long Island beaches, Cooperstown...etc. etc.

If it were me, I'd take the back/front pack, load up the little precious one, and hop the train to Boston or DC. I assume both you and your husband are sleep deprived, so why not leave the driving to Amtrak?

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 07:04 AM
Howard

I'm with the rural/country-type getaway folks. The lower to middle Hudson Valley area or the Berkshires are my recommendation.
A big-city destination, especially in the summer with a 5-month-old child, doesn't sound like the best idea. (Also, the original poster asked for a 2-3-hour DRIVE, not flight, destination!)

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 07:33 AM
JKNYer

My wife and I ususally frequent the Norther Delaware River/Bucks county, PA side for our NY getaways. THere's a stretch of charming Bed&Breakfasts and Inns along the River Road from UpperBlack Eddy, PA south to New Hope, and also in Frenchtown, NJ. We've stayed in Bridgeton House(B&B) or Evermay on Delaware (Inn).

THe drive along the river is very scenic, and we always go to Peddler Village which is both fun and relaxing. THere's lots of activities in Bucks County, check out their local tourist board website if you're interested.
JK

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 07:59 AM
mj

Montauk. Fits into your drive time - if you go during the week - and is very family friendly.