Gaylord Texan Resort - Grapevine

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 2004, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone stay here? Is it worth an extra $20/nite (staying 2nites) in comparison to HILTON DFW Lakes hotel?

Also, just curious, I read HORRIBLE reviews on trip advisor regarding Texas Opryland which is in Grapevine? Anyone know anything about this place. I might not have the accurate name, but it's close!
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 02:35 PM
yk

I'm quite sure that the "Gaylord Opryland Texas" on tripadvisor is the same as Gaylord Texan Resort. They have the same address listed.
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 02:48 PM

Gaylord Texan opened a couple of months ago...a gorgeous brand new resort. The Hilton has been around for maybe 20 years and is...well...a Hilton. If you're willnig to pay $20 for brand new and gorgeous, go with the Gaylord. If you just want a place to rest your weary head, stay at the Hilton.
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 02:57 PM

They took the name "Opryland" out of the name before it opened. The mayor tells a story that the City was so mad about that that they held up their liquor license until Gaylord paid the city $$$$$$.

Out of curiosity, I went on tripadvisor and read the reviews. Note that the one horrible review was from someone who only ate at one of the restaurants - did not stay at the hotel.

What does bug me is the $10 per night charge for parking. I can see having to pay for parking at a hotel in Manhattan, or Chicago, or San Francisco...but this is Grapevine Texas and land around the hotel certainly isn't scarce.
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 03:02 PM

Amen, Missypie... gosh I like they way that sounds.... Amen, Missypie.
I just about died when the ANATOLE started charging for parking. What a freakin' joke!
They were running around 50% occupancy and realized they could wring some much needed moolah out of the poor people parking.
I was at a convention there last week and to add insult to injusy, they charged me FOUR times for the parking!!!
40.00, yep, 40.00
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 03:06 PM

Ooh, parking at the Anatole is one of my pet peeves. Lots of charity luncheons are held there. During a luncheon, they reserve almost the entire lot for valet parking. So then the luncheon lets out and 1200 people want their cars at once...so you're standing outside for 45 mintues in 95 degree heat waiting for your car...How is that a convenience????
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 04:09 PM

I actually live in Grapevine.

Is your convention meeting at the Texan? If you are just staying for the fun of it, I'd stay at the Hilton since the parking is free.

The Texan is gorgeous, and I hear the rooms are really nice, too.
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

I called and talked to reservations this morning at the Gaylord Texan Resort. YES, they were called the Gaylord Opryland Texan Resort. THey changed their name not too long ago is what she told me because I asked.

Anyway, they charge $7/day for self park, $10/day for valet parking. ALso, NO continental breakfast is included, whereas it is included at the Hilton.

Since we're only staying 2 nites, I can swing the extra cost IF IT's WORTH IT! I have 2 kids with us, ages 11 & 12. So, is Gaylord that much better? ALso, is it close to the mall?

THANKS!