Search

Parking aroung E. Wacker

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2007, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Parking aroung E. Wacker

Help!!
I am looking for parking help!! I have never been to Chicago and need advice on parking.
I will be going to my son's boot camp graduation (Yeah!) in August and need to know where a good, and close place to park - or parking suggestions for where we are staying - I am staying at Swissotel on E. Wacker and REFUSE to pay $45.00 a day for parking. Where can I park for less than that with in and out privleges?
Thanks!
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 07:32 AM
JJ5

Parking downtown is not cheap.

You will not be particularly close and will need to walk some blocks- maybe at least 6 or 7 long ones, but you can park in the underground Grant Park garage. Do a google of that current rate and in/out logistics.

There are height requirements as one time we had a company truck that we couldn't get down there- so be aware of that as well, if you have a big van.

The parking downtown in most places now is "by the hour" and can be worse than $45 per day, and the hotel added taxes and extras for all food services will be growing once again to float the CTA.
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 07:42 AM

How much are you paying for the Swissotel? If you got a great deal, consider the parking costs as part of the compromise. If you are paying regular price for the Swissotel, then you can't really balk at paying that price.

Do you need the car at all? Are you driving to Chicago or are you renting a car?
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 07:50 AM

Parking is expensive. There is a garage near Millenium Park, the entrance of which is on Columbus St., and the cost is $24 for 24 hours, which is pretty much the cheapest you're going to find in that area.

Are you going to be using your car during your stay, and does the hotel have in/out privileges? That might be a consideration when making a decision regarding where to park, as a city garage does not have in/out privileges.

Enjoy the city, and enjoy seeing your son!
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 08:03 AM

Last summer, some of our friends met and stayed in Chicago and one of them decided that the hotel's parking was too expensive. She found a garage with a much cheaper price by using the web. I don't remember exactly where the garage was, but I think it was north of the river so probably closer to your hotel than the one we stayed at. I am guessing that it was more in the neighborhood of $20 or $25 a day.

I tried to find the website and couldn't find one with pricing information. I did find a good one that shows parking and I suppose you could check further for prices of the ones that are closer to your hotel.

http://www.chicagoparkingmap.com/

Some of the parking garages listed had their own websites and perhaps you could find prices there.

That said - Chicago is big and parking is at a premium. A few years ago, my husband and I decided to go up and visit a neighborhood where I lived for a year after college. We found that the parking in the area is now for residents only (there was always a shortage so this is not a bad idea), so there was nowhere for us to just park and walk around.

I just reread your note about the in and out privileges. I think that many of the public garages would have in and out privileges - but you'd have to pay all over again each time. So rather than getting a 24 hour rate, you'd pay for however long you were there each time. You could end up paying more that way.

Are you used to driving in big cities and will you be driving by yourself? If you are alone, be sure and plan your route before you get in the middle of traffic. You want to make sure that you go where you want to go and don't end up lost in an area where you'd rather not be.

Debbie
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips everyone -
I am driving from KC. So I will definitely have to park somewhere. But after we go to his graduation on the 10th, then we can probably manuever most of the time by train. ?? We don't know how much liberty time he will have so we are just winging it.
I did get a decent rate (I guess) for Swissotel. It was around $163.00 on hotwire. (plus tax/fees +74.42) so really $188.00 appr per night. But yes I balked at what will be another $180.00 for parking (thurs - sun).

Is parking near the base, (north train) an option, and just taking the train down town? So we only have to pay the $45 for maybe one day,,,like our first night? Just trying to come up with some way to save a few bucks.

Also, any tips on cheap good eats? I don't think after I pay for parking I will be able to afford to eat at the hotel! Ha!
Thanks
Kassanna
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 09:38 AM

Hi Kassanna,
Since you're staying for the weekend, and if you plan to stay in the city for sightseeing, you should park your car along Stockton Drive in Lincoln Park between Fullerton and Diversey. Then, buy one of those fun-saver $5 all-day CTA (bus/train) passes at any currency exchange so you and the family can get around the city without a car. That's where I used to always park my car. The one thing you need to look out for... make sure street cleaning will not effect your parking (there are signs posted - only happens once/month, I think). Safe area. Bring your patience... when parking on STockton for the first time, you may have to circle several times until you get a spot (I once circled for 45 minutes late Sunday night), but there's usually lots of car movement along that drive if you park during daylight hours.
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 10:23 AM

Here are two more parking websites. I think the first has basically the same information as the one I listed before.

http://www.chicagoparkingnetwork.com/map_static.jsp

http://www.chicagotraveler.com/chicago_parking.htm

Congratulations to your son.

Debbie
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 10:33 AM

I would totally park near the base and take the Metra downtown. I don't know where they'd have overnight parking, but I'll bet someone on base could tell you. There's a Great Lakes stop--the Web site is www.metrarail.com.
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

It sounds like there may be a couple of options. We will check it out. -
Thank You!

Old Jul 26th, 2007, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Anyone have any ideas on the cheap yet original to Chicago eats?
Not McDonalds,obviously -
but unique places that are worth checking out?
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 11:17 AM

I would try a search for "Chicago inexpensive restaurants" and you will find many, many posts.

However, off the top of my head - Foodlife in Water Tower Place is usually a hit. It's cafeteria style - you pay as you exit - and has pretty decent food, relatively inexpensive, and is not chains.
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 11:31 AM
JJ5

In downtown Chicago proper LOOP/theatre district close there is a Chinese called Golden Buddha which is extremely reasonable and has a luncheon buffet.

Italian Village is also much under the norm downtown prices. That's Loop also.