Fun Restaurants

Old Sep 21st, 2004, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fun Restaurants

We're a group of 30ish-40ish women who are looking for recommendations for fun restaurants with good food. Price isn't a factor. We want to be able to wear our jeans.

Thank you for any recommendations you can give.

Kristine in Miami
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 01:07 PM
GoTravel

Kristine, where are you going? All of the board headings dump into a general United States board.

Old Sep 21st, 2004, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

Oopps...didn't know. Chicago.
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 01:15 PM

Cafe Ibercico for great tapas and sangria. It's loud and doesn't take reservations if you are a big group but it's a great atmosphere. It's our favorite girls night out place...Here's their website http://www.cafe-iberico.com/.
Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 09:54 AM

Cafe Iberico is a great suggestion, it is close to the Michigan Avenue area, I've walked it but you can also take a quick cab ride. They don't take reservations for Fri or Sat night after 3 pm but do the rest of the week for parties of 6 or more.

Other fun places we've had large groups include Greektown, my personal favorite is Greek Islands, Chinatown for dim sum (that would be for lunch, not dinner) we go to Won Kow, Paprikash on Diversey for Hungarian and Chicago Brauhaus for German (Oktoberfest year round).

There are a couple of Turkish places that have belly dancing on the weekends, I prefer the food at Turkish Cuisine and Bakery up in Andersonville but Ala Turka in Lakeview has a nicer ambiance. If you are a small enough group you can request the tables where you sit on pillows.

Or how about fondue? I haven't tried the most popular one, Geja's or the new kid on the block, Melting Pot but that might be fun for a group.

Or Cajun, Heaven on Seven has a Mardi Gras atmosphere, the one on Wabash is open only for lunch but the one on Rush is open for dinner.

One further thought, if you want good food, stay away from Ed Debevic's. We had an absolutely dreadful meal there last year and will never go back.
Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 11:36 AM

Is Dicks Last Resort still operating?...fun stuff!
Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 02:54 PM

Yes, Dick's is open for business.
Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 07:42 PM

I dont know if there is one in the area or not but i love bubba gump shrimp, the food is good, and every 30 min or so the staff puts on a "show"
Old Sep 23rd, 2004, 08:35 AM

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by fun as I find most resturants that aren't stuffy fun. If you are willing to forgo the jeans I would suggest the following resturants as I've had wonderful meals in all of them (and they are reasonably priced $15-25 an entree). They are also all very close to downtown (but I would highly recommend reservations).

Tizi Melloul (Moroccan)
Pili Pili (French Fusion)
Bistro Margot (French)

check them out on metromix.com
Old Sep 23rd, 2004, 09:54 AM

My dh and I have been going to Iberico for 10 years. While we lived in the city -- the first eight years or so -- we went there almost weekly. Now it's almost monthly. It's definitely fun and you can have some long waits there if you go around 7:00. Order a pitcher of red or white sangria, then tapas. Yummm....

I also go to Geja's every year for my b-day. It's a dark little fondue place. They usually have someone playing guitar there -- flamenco music, I think? You can wear jeans but a nicer top (probably not a sweatshirt) would be better with your jeans. Don't be like my husband and try to fry a lettuce leaf if you do go! LOL

Foodlife can be fun. It's located in the Water Tower Place mall. I used to like to go there for breakfast and people watch by the glass elevators.

There are so many fun, good restaurants in Chicago. Have fun whatever you decide!

Old Sep 24th, 2004, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

Sweatshirt? Heavens no...we're from Miami, so I feel pretty confident we're stylish. When I said jeans and casual I meant our Brazilian cut jeans with a nice top and of course killer shoes. Smiling.

Thank you too everyone for your suggestions and recommendations. We can't wait to spend a long weekend in your city. Shopping, eating and drinking...what more can a girl ask for?

Kristine in Miami