Ft. Lauderdale Spas?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18th, 2005, 02:21 PM
lvk
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ft. Lauderdale Spas?

Hi All,

After painstaking researching and deciding on our spa vacation in Scottsdale, our girls trip has been abruptly moved to Ft. Lauderdale. Any recommendations for spas in the area? Spafinder.com shows the Westin Diplomat and Atlantis as two close by, as well as a bunch of day spas. Any comments? We'd be willing to drive some, so anywhere within a reasonable distance would be fine, too.

Thanks!

Old Feb 18th, 2005, 04:40 PM
jd

The Marriott Harbor Beach has a nice spa )marriottharborbeach.com). They also have a private pool for spa customers.
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 06:05 PM

Bonaventure Spa in Weston. Very far west Ft. Lauderdale.
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 08:59 AM
lvk
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies so far. I've checked out the websites for both. The use of the spa pool is a big plus, similar to the Camelback Inn/JW Marriott Spa that we had decided on in Scottsdale.
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 09:49 AM
jtp

I have been having problems posting - so I will make this one brief - a beautiful option in Ft. Lauderdale is
@ the Atlantic Hotel -- part of the starwood hotels
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/luxury...ropertyID=1475
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 12:32 PM
GoTravel

I don't know that I'd drive all the way out to the Bonaventure if you are staying on the beach. About a 45 minute drive.

The Diplomat is gorgeous. It is in Hollywood Beach.

The Atlantic is so new that I haven't been there yet so I cannot comment.

Old Feb 21st, 2005, 08:05 AM
lvk
Original Poster

A little clarification here. I'm finding the Westin Diplomat, which seems to be right on Hollywood Beach, as well as the Diplomat Resort and Country Club, which lists it location as Hallandale Beach. I looked at the spa menus for both and they seem to have the same treatments at the same prices. Both are Starwood properties.

I'm leaning toward the beachfront location, unless anyone has additional insight for me.

Thanks again.
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 08:09 AM

Not in Ft. Lauderdale, but within a half hour drive is Elemis Day Spa in Coral Gables. I highly recommend it and it's located at the exclusive Village of Merrick Park outdoor mall for great shopping before or after.

http://www.elemis.com/usa/miami.html
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 09:32 AM
GoTravel

The Westin Diplomat is on the beach (what is left of the beach).

The Diplomat Country Club is over the Intracoastal Waterway in the town of Hallandale. It isn't near the beach.

Old Feb 21st, 2005, 01:36 PM

The Red Door Spa by Elizabeth Arden is just opening up in the Saks in the Galleria,,,you could do that and have a great lunch at Capitol grill or SEasons 52 right next door. FYI, Judy
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 09:54 AM
lvk
Original Poster

Thanks again for all of your suggestions. We are going with the Diplomat this time, since we're actually staying on Hollywood Beach, but will file all the other suggestions away for future visits .

After further research, I learned the the Westin Diplomat on the beach in Hollywood does not have its own spa. It sends its guests over the the Diplomat Country Club for spa services. It is part of the Starwood Luxury Collection, as is the Atlantic, so they have very similar services and prices. I hope this info is helpful to anyone researching Ft. Lauderdale spas.

I'll post my impressions when I return. Thanks!

Old Mar 11th, 2005, 03:43 PM
lvk
Original Poster

Just back to report on the Diplomat. Beautiful facility. Wonderful, courteous staff (valets, waiters, front desk, housekeeping -all great). I had the hot stone massage, which was just okay. I've had better elsewhere, but my friends thoroughly enjoyed theirs.

Just a caveat - the Diplomat automatically adds a 20% gratuity onto any treatment you get. To my $175 massage, they added a $35 tip. Since I didn't think my massage therapist did a very good job (inexperienced, maybe?) at the hot stone massage, I probably would only have tipped her 15% or so. However, if this 20% is shared with the front desk and housekeeping staff, then I guess I'm okay with it.

(I started a different thread on this policy.)