Wailea Marriott or Kapalua Bay Resort?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24th, 2004, 03:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am returning to Hawaii in April...woo hoo!!!

Using this forum, enjoyed a wonderful visit to Oahu last October. This time going to Maui for 6 days/5 nights. Would like to stay on two parts of the island during my stay. Could careless about moving luggage from one place to the other.

So, have reward points to use and trying to decide between Wailea Marriott and Kapalua Bay Resort. Thoughts?

Thinking I want to start at the Kapalua Resort and then end my trip in Wailea. Thinking Kapalua would be closer for the sunrise at the crater and then maybe road to Hana another day.

As usual, thanks for the feedback and have a great holiday.
Old Nov 24th, 2004, 04:13 PM

I've been to Maui a few times and from what I remember Wailea is closer to Hana and the crater. Sorry I can't help on hotels though.
Have a blast! Definitely jealous!
Old Nov 24th, 2004, 08:36 PM

Just wanted to concur that Wailea IS closer to the crater.

If you don't HAVE to use the hotel points, think about staying a night or two in Hana instead if you really like to explore the trails and waterfalls.

Other than that, all I can say is that we loved the Wailea area...the golden crescent beaches, awesome snorkeling, and relative quiet. I have a trip report with tons of details at http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34436140.

Let me know if you have any questions!

love
roxy
Old Nov 28th, 2004, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Roxy.

I've defintely read your trip report already. Even took notes

Checked out the Hana hotel, it is nice. Thinking about two nights in the Kanappali/Lahaina area, two nights in Wailea, and one in Hana. Just need to figure out the best way to do it. Would like to end my stay in Wailea. So need to figure this out.

Thinking...

Day One - arrive at 6:00 p.m. and check into Lahaina hotel, dinner, relax.

Day Two - Sunrise at crater

Day Three - Checkout of hotel and drive Road to Hana (stay overnight -?)

Day Four - From Hana to Wailea (not sure which direction to drive it)

Day Five - Whale tour and Spa

Day Six - Relax at hotel, maybe more Spa before 9:00 p.m. flight back to East Coast

Of course I still have a few months. Just thinking it through.
Old Nov 28th, 2004, 06:41 PM

With that itinerary your first two days would be best spent in south Maui rather than west Maui. A 6 pm arrival will get you to Lahaina about 8ish after luggage, car rental and traffic, and then you are looking to be up around 2:30 - 3 to drive to Haleakala for sunrise. Then all the way back to Lahaina only to check out early the next day to drive to Hana.

Have you considered renting a cottage on the north shore, maybe Pa`ia or Ha`iku for the first couple of days? The drive from the airport and to Haleakala would be much shorter, and you would already be on your way to Hana for the third day. With this schedule you'll not have much time to do things in Lahaina/Kapalua, and will be spending your time driving back and forth at odd hours, no less. A nice waterfront cottage in Pa`ia would be fabulous and you could walk to dinner or breakfast at Charleys, Milagros or any of the other wonderful places to eat in Pa`ia Town. I have stayed here in the cottage http://www.maui.cc/PaiaBay.html It is fabulous, with the hot tub right on the water. www.hookipa.com is another great source for north shore rentals.
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks here today.

I obviously need to look at a map
Old Dec 14th, 2004, 09:53 PM

Kapalua Reaort is now under control of Marriott and will go over a MAJOR overhaul the first of the year. Most of the rooms will be refurbished and the entrance and restaurants will be closed.
Better do your homework on this before you decide. Kapalua is over an hour to the west side of Maui and the airport.
Old Dec 18th, 2004, 06:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Deloris.

I'm doing a lot of research. Also bought the infamous Maui revealed to learn more. I'm on a shoestring budget, not interested in hiking or the like. Just going to hang out. Right now I plan on going alone and paying for tours. Not a problem. Will have a rental car, but prefer someone else to take me to the top of the crater so I can sleep until I get there

Still working through it. Oahu was a lot easier to plan for last year. I have three things I WILL do. That is sunrise at the crater, road to Hana, and a whale tour. Realize it will be mid-April, but will take the chance.

So, just trying to figure it all out. Don't care about staying in different hotels. I'm used to it. Travel a lot for business.
Old Dec 19th, 2004, 01:23 AM

You'll see pacific humpback whales in mid-April, even from shore in the south and west (but not on Haleakala), though it may take an effort to look. After giving birth in shallow waters, the mothers move with their calves further from shore as the calves develop their aquatic skills.
Wouldn't bank on sleeping in a van that is frequently stopping to pick up other tourists who may be chatty. Besides, five a.m. there is eleven or noon (depending on daylight saving) east coast time. You may not feel like sleeping through paradise. On your return from Hana, I recommend you continue clockwise-weather permitting. Stunning scenery and vistas, but allow yourself plenty of time.
Old Dec 19th, 2004, 09:40 AM

According to someone I know at Maui Land & Pineapple, the owners of Kapalua Resorts, there are no plans to close or renovate anything at the Kapalua Bay Hotel in the immediate future. They did close the Bay Club in August, and that is on hold right now while they decide exactly what is happening at the Kapalua Resort properties. Plans include a wellness center/spa to begin construction in 2006. Plans for the rest of the resort, including the Kapalua Bay Hotel, are still being worked out. All of the properties of the Resort will be upgraded, but when and to what extent is still being decided.

Kapalua is on the westside, in west Maui. Kahului airport is in central Maui, on the north shore.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 06:06 PM
Original Poster

heretoday,

I've been researching and am thinking the following:

Arrive at 6:20pm on Thursday:

Thursday - checkin at Wailea hotel
Friday - Halekela(?)sunrise with tour, back to hotel spa, dinner in Wailea area (maybe Roys at Fairmont)
Saturday - checkout of Wailea hotel and drive to Hana
Saturday-checkin to Hotel Hana and chill
Sunday-checkout Hotel Hana,head to Kannapali/Lahaina, checkin at area hotel, hang loose, VERY NICE dinner somewhere
Monday-whale tour then hangout
Tuesday-hang loose until 9:00p.m. flight

Traveling alone, not interested in hiking or anything like that. Love beautiful scenery and relaxing. Don't mind having a rental car and driving alone. Although, think I would enjoy the road to Hana with a tour and let someone else drive. Therefore, Option 2 for me is:

Thursday-same
Friday-same
Saturday-chekout of Wailea into Kannapali/Lahaina hotel and hang loose
Sunday-road to Hana with tour
Monday-whale tour
Tuesday-same

So basically, the difference is just that I would not stay in three places just two. Either way I would have a rental car. Careless about paying for tours when I have a car. Having the car will be cheaper than taking taxis form airport, between hotels, shopping, etc.

Also traveling alone and on my own time! Thus can make changes as I go along

Feedback?
Old Jan 9th, 2005, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Does the above make sense to those that have been to Maui?

Need to get a good map so I can understand the highways. Driving Oahu was so simple. Just drove counterclockwise...no problem!
Old Jan 9th, 2005, 01:28 PM

Yeah, the new itinerary sounds better for you--less commuting and more vacationing.

Roys is in Kihei at the Pi`ilani Shopping Center. Nick's is at the Fairmont.
Old Jan 9th, 2005, 01:48 PM

SK84:
There are not that many roads. Most guidebooks have adequate maps, as do the car rental places.
Enjoy your trip.
Old Jan 9th, 2005, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the reply.

Would you suggest the Pa`ia or Ha`iku areas over Lahaina and Kannapali?
Old Jan 9th, 2005, 04:56 PM

Prefer that area for what? As a place to stay? I always prefer the north shore to west Maui. Pa`ia town is one of my favorite places to hang out, to eat, and we used to stay in Pa`ia before DH made his decision to move back.

But would YOU prefer it is the question. Pa`ia is a surfing town. The beach is a surfing beach. The sand is coarse, the water can be rough. The crowd in younger and international. I dig it; YMMV. Ha`iku is on the edge of the rainforest. It can rains everyday, but rarely all day. It is very quiet and quite different from Lahaina/Ka`anapali. No resorts--you'd have to rent a cottage. I love this one: http://www.windsurfari.com/accom/prop_turtlebay.html
I've stayed in the studio. You can walk into Pa`ia, fall asleep to the sound of the ocean.
Old Jan 9th, 2005, 05:10 PM

Maui is very easy to drive. Wailea is definitely closer to Haleakala. Kapaula is beautiful, but the windy, sort of rainy side of the island. From the Ritz Carlton there is a wonderful, scenic road that wraps around (a couple of hours drive)on the west side of the island back to Wailuku. Some places are very windy, and rough, but with some great views and beautiful scenery.
You can do the drive to Hana in one day--it would be long, but the Hana hotel is wonderful...there are also some cabins/camping I believe in Hana. We started that drive from Piea? and went the entire way around returning thru the Up country...the east side of the island is breathtaking...but very rough driving---you have to go to the seven pools and make the hike thru the bamboo forest. The drive to Hana from Piea has more curves through forests than I desired...some waterfalls and areas for hiking but I would recommend making the entire loop around the island to get the entire flavor.
With regard to staying in areas of the island, we prefer Wailea to Kaanapali...sunnier, gorgeous beaches, many choices of places to stay in the Wailea/Kihei area with all price ranges. Lahaina is a neat town and very close to Kaanapali where there are also nice resort hotels.
Probably the most incredible restaurant on the island is Mama's Fish House near Piea...expensive but unbelievable. Other good spots are Roys, Sansei, Five Palms(Wailea) and lots of nice spots in Lahaina.
Hope you have a great time. We love it.
Old Jan 9th, 2005, 05:40 PM

My husband and I went to Maui this past May. We spent 5 days at the Wailea Marriott on Marriott Rewards Points and 6 nights using our Disney Vacation Club points at the Kapalua Bay Resort. We did sunrise at Haeleaka our second day and did the Road to Hana on our 4th day in Wailea. Since our bodies were still on Eastern Time...this worked out well for us. Btw.. It is much closer to both these places when you are in Wailea versus Kapalua. If you can it would be preferable to spend a night in Hana if possible. We drove all around the island and it took about 12-13 hours. A very memorable but LONG day. If you could spend the night in Hana and then do the Seven Pools of Oheo and Charles Lindbergh Grave the following day it would be much more relaxing IMO.

Don't forget to spend a day in Lahaina and I also recommend the Discover Lanai Snorkeling/Sailing trip with Trilogy Excursions. We also did the active volcano air tour of the Big Island while based in Kapalua.
Old Jan 9th, 2005, 05:44 PM

I just wanted to said that we did see humpback whales while there May 5-12 when we took the Trilogy excursion from Lahaina to the island of Lanai. Our guide these were probably the last ones left and we were lucky to have seen them.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 07:27 AM

HarrietSLP: Curious what your thoughts were on the Kapalua Bay Resort? My wife and I actually spent our honeymoon there 5 years ago and loved it. We're tentatively planning on going back this year, but some of the reviews I've read on the web indicate the rooms and property are a bit worse for the wear and in need of renovation. What was your experience?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -