Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Any Ft. Laud oceanfront hotels that don't break the bank?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2003, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it possible to get a nice (i.e. clean, convenient, pretty area) ocean-front room in a Ft. Lauderdale hotel for $75 a night? Which of the Lauderdale beaches are the prettiest?

I left Ft. Lauderdale as a teenager in 1963; I'm very curious to see it again.
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 12:48 PM

The Marriott Harbor Beach Resort is one of the Best! I have heard Lago Mar is great too but I've never stayed there.
You can get the Marriott on Priceline.com for alot less than any other website.
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 12:52 PM

Swan51,Go to Biddingfortravel.com and go down to the 'Hotels' and click on the
Florida-Fort Lauderdale category. Then go down to the Ft Lauderdale Hotels List and you will find the Marriott Harbor Beach resort under Fort Lauderdale Beach-Resort>This is the area you bid on when you go to Priceline.com.
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 12:57 PM

It looks like the Marriott Harbor Beach Resort has been coming up at $69.00per night.Might be a good starting bid. Don't mean to post so many times; I'm just trying to help,that's all.It's worth it!Beleive me...The hotel is great!!
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 02:03 PM

We stayed at Harbour Beach not too long ago and thought it was wonderful. The restaurant 3030 is exceptionally good...not like a hotel restaurant at all. The spa is also very high quality. That price makes it worth going again.
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 02:26 PM

Also, if you have a Visa card, you can get a buy one night, get the next night free at the Radisson Bahia Mar. I did that one year and got a nice room facing the north (marina to the left and ocean to the right with a great view of Ft. Lauderdale.) Expedia has some good rates, but make sure it's FORT LAUDERDALE you are looking at. Some of the places that come up are Hollywood Beach and Lauderdale-By-The-Sea, as well as Pompano, Deerfield, etc.

It's changed alot since '63. I live outside Ft. Lauderdale and drive by the beach quite often. If you want to recapture what you remember, stay on the south end of the beach (remember the Yankee Clipper?? It's still there--the hotel shaped like a ship.) Also, there's a Best Western nestled between the Yankee Clipper and Marriott Harbor Beach Resort. It might have some decent rates. Have fun!!
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 02:35 PM

I was a Ft. Lauderdale springbreaker in the 60's. Is the Elbow Room still alive?
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 02:44 PM

The Best Western Oceanside Inn has a $65/night rate on expedia.com (I plugged in 4 days in late June and that was the price that came up). It has a 2-star rating. If you are into bidding, I'd try Priceline for the Marriott Harbor Beach Resort.

And yes, the Elbow Room is still alive and kicking. The beach has changed, the city took out the parking along the beach and built a beautiful walkway. It's really nice and made an improvement to the look of the beach. Some of the old places are being torn down and large hotels/condos are going up in their place. I think the area of the Elbow Room will stay like it is for quite a while, though. Las Olas Blvd is still the same, except there are nice condos and office buildings downtown, but all the shops/restaurants are still there.

Did you enjoy your walk down memory lane?

And a note to Swan51 -- if you ever went to Jaxson's Ice Cream Parlor in Dania Beach, it's still there and still worth visiting! Mmmmmmmmm
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 12:45 PM

Do a search on this board for fort lauderdale hotels. I posted the same question a few months back. I ended up staying in Lauderdale-by-the-Sea, which I recommend.
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 02:09 PM

Poor?Greg that owned Elbo Room and Crazy Greg's upstairs, died not too long ago. He probably lived himself to death!

But the party still goes on - the music has changed.
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 02:36 PM

Maryann,Is that the same Greg that owned Crazy Gregs Speedboat?