Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Help??? Lago Mar Resort or Harbor Marriott Beach Resort in Ft. Lauderdale?

Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Help??? Now I'm hearing rave reviews about the Lago Mar Resort in Ft. Lauderdale? I'm trying to decide if I should just go with Marriott Harbor Beach Resort. Any advice between the two?
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 03:32 AM
jd

You can't go wrong with either of these resorts. Both have great pools and a nice beach.If you have kids I would choose Lago Mar as they have nice 1 br suites. Marriott is a larger property and is a little more lively than Lago-especially at night. Marriotts outside bar tends to draw in a younger crowd.Rooms here are average.
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 12:32 PM

Both are fine hotels on the beach. If you want to be closer to the action of the beach and shopping, I'd suggest the Marriott. If you want a more quiet vacation, select Lago Mar.
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 07:08 PM
Original Poster

How close is Lago Mar from the airport?
If you could get Marriott Harbor cheaper than Lago Mar is Lago Mar worth the extra money. I would prefer an oceanview room, but the rates are a lot higher. ughhh!!! May have to settle with a standard room.
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 07:42 PM

Lago Mar and Marriott Harbor Beach are just about equal distances from the Airport (about a 5-10 minute drive depending on traffic) and not far from each other. I was wondering where the Lago Mar was located and went looking for it. It's tucked away in a difficult location to find (I guess that's why everyone loves it.) I couldn't even see the Resort, just the parking in the back. I suppose the places on the beach put all the nice aesthetics toward the beach because the Marriott seems like you are entering from the back, too. Anyway, it's tucked in between condos along the beach. Next time I'll go when I have a chance to actually go inside and look around. I also know people who have totally missed the turn for the Marriott. If you go to either, print out a detailed map from Mapquest or whatever map site you prefer.

I suppose I'm partial to the Marriott because I've been there for functions and have seen the rooms. I'm sure it's not as old as Lago Mar, either.

What are the prices for ocean views? Is there a big difference between the Lago Mar and the Marriott?

Also, if you stay at Lago Mar and want to go anywhere, you'll need to get in your car and pay for parking along the beach area. If you stay at the Marriott, you can walk to most places. I stayed at Bahia Mar for a couple days and we walked up to Beach Place, it was a pleasant walk. Bahia Mar is a block or two from the Marriott.

I hope I haven't confused you too much, just letting you know the differences in the two places so you can make an informed decision.
Old Sep 5th, 2003, 04:00 AM
jd

The Marriott and Lago Mar are situated very close to each other on the beach, seperated by a couple of low rise condos. It is an easy walk on the beach if you want to walk up to the Marriott for a drink. Heartburn is right though-because of the way the canals are situated, it is a bit of a confusing drive to get to the Lago-even though it is close to the Marriott,there are a few confusing turns. I have stayed at both of these properties, and love them both. If you can get the Marriott for cheaper,go for it.Usually you can get more for your money at Lago. I think you will be happy with the grounds, pools and beach at either place. Nothing happening at the lago at night,so if thats important to you, pick the Marriott.
Old Sep 7th, 2003, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

Lago Mar I can get for $486.00 for 4 nights - standard room (no oceanview). I can get a suite with an oceanview for $600.000 for 4 nights. This is through AAA. I'm considering priceline for Harbor Marriott which I'm sure I can get a lot cheaper than Lago Mar?
Old Sep 7th, 2003, 08:48 AM
jd

If you go with Lago,I would get the 1 BR suite for the extra $120.00. It is worth it. The one we stayed in last yr. looked like it had recently been refurbished. If you like a smaller, more intimate hotel, stay here. If you prefer larger hotels, stay at Marriott. If you can get the Marriott on Priceline for $100 or less I would do it. You can always ask for an upgrade for an oceanview when you get there. I am going to try this myself when I go down in a couple of months without the family.
Old Sep 7th, 2003, 12:15 PM

How will you be positively sure you can get the Marriot through priceline? If I had been sure of that last Spring I would not have stayed at the Sheraton in FLL.
Old Sep 7th, 2003, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Diann
When you requested the type of hotel through priceline, did you choose "resort"? This is the only hotel establishment priceline has for Fort Lauderdale under resort- Marriott Harbor Beach resort.
Old Sep 7th, 2003, 05:23 PM

I wasn't aware of that at all. No, I didn't request a resort. I will keep that in mind if I ever should decide to return to that area. Thanks.
Old Sep 7th, 2003, 07:02 PM

Check BiddingForTravel.com, they mention the participating establishments in the different ratings categories. I've never bid for travel, but everyone seems to mention BFT for assistance with Priceline.
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 07:57 AM

When are you going? I recently booked a 2bdrm suite (ocean front) at Lago Mar for less than I could get a standard room at Marriot.($275 per night) This is in the middle of November. I've been to both properties and like them both for what they are. We prefer the smaller more intimate size of Lago Mar.
I like to be able to hit the sand as quickly as possible. Seemed more of a trek for us at the Marriot. Good luck!
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 03:12 PM
Original Poster

Michaelpl

If you don't mind me asking, how much was the 2 bedroom oceanfront suite? I don't want to pay over $500.00 for
4 nights. We are going the middle of November too.

Thanks!!!
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 12:29 PM

Janny;

Sorry if I was unclear. I booked a 2 bdrm ocean front suite for $275.00 per night. Mid-Nov for 4 nights. You dont want to pay over $500 per night? or $500 for the total of all 4 nights. (if that's the case, it may be a tall order)
Good luck and have fun!
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 12:44 PM

I just got back from the Harbor Beach which I pricelined it for $85/night. The rooms were fine and the pool area and beach were lovely. We were there over labor day for 4 nights, and were told there was no way we could upgrade to an ocean front room, although we were willing to pay more.
I found the front desk staff border line rude - it seemed to tax them when we wanted a non-smoking room with 2 beds - it took almost a half hour for check-in and we were given a corner room (no balcony) with a city view. The last 2 days the room reeked of smoke in the mornings. Valet parking is 20/day, garage self park is 16 I think. Great breakfast buffet in Riva.
All in all ... nice vacation
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 03:47 PM
Original Poster

kweno

No way!!!! No balcony? I thought all there rooms were suppose to have a balcony? I'm nervous now. Was the hotel that booked up that you could'nt get a balcony room? And according to the hotel, all rooms have a balcony. Did they tell you "no" to an oceanview room due to low priceline bid? Please tell me that the hotel was just crowded due to holiday weekend.
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 05:54 PM

I was there in June, looked like all rooms had a balcony. I
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 05:56 PM

I was there in June, looked like all rooms had a balcony. I am sure it was crowded due to the holiday when i was there it was not crowded. Concierge was awesome...very helpful...lots of coupons, made reservations.
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 03:32 AM
jd

It sounds like a balcony is important to you, so I just wanted to point out that the cheapest standard rooms at Lago Mar do not have balconies.The standard rooms with balconies cost a little more. Also, there is no parking fee at Lago.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -