Ft. Lauderdale?

Old Feb 13th, 2004, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ft. Lauderdale?

I have plans to take the kids to FLL in April (just 2 nights, coming up from Keys). We want nice beach/resorts, etc. I have reservations at Lago Mar, but someone warned me about going to FLL - is the concern valid? We fly out of Miami, and I have heard many other nice comments. Thanks
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 11:07 AM
GoTravel

I don't understand what you were warned about for FLL?

I love the Lago Mar even though it has been a while since I've stayed there. It is a haul from MIA airport.

Old Feb 13th, 2004, 12:29 PM

if you want to get a good deal on a nice hotel, use your visa card and get the buy one night, get the next one free special. Check the VISA website for the code, I think it's VISABUY1, but double check because they have a special phone number you can call and I think you get better deals by calling, as opposed to booking on the internet. I used this for the Radisson Bahia Mar. It's not in the middle of all the hubub of the strip, on the end of the beach near Yankee Clipper, Marriott Harbor Beach, etc.

Lago Mar is very nice, but you have to drive to get anywhere because it's tucked away in a quiet residential area of the beach. If you want to just park the car and take the Water Bus, stayed at the Bahia Mar, Marriott Harbor Beach or Yankee Clipper, they are much closer to the Water Bus main office/stop. It's a great way to get around Ft Laud.

If you want more info, feel free to post a question, I usually check this site every day or two.

Oh yeah, I don't think any of the tourist problems are happening in Ft Lauderdale. However, there have been some incidents this past week in Miami-Dade and you need to make sure you have good directions from/to MIA so you don't have to stop and ask questions. Apparently people are getting tourists to pull over for one reason or another (problem with their car, etc.) and then stealing from them. They haven't been violent, yet, but you can never be too careful. Is taht what you've been warned about??? It's been on the news the past few days.
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 02:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Hearburn3, I don't my the somewhat remote location. We will only be there three days, and plan to visit the swimming hall of fame. Any recommendations for restaurants - 3 kids, ages 10/12/14. The comments back about FLL were that it had gone downhill, somewhat dangerous. This is definitley counter to everything else I heard. P.S. I don't have a VISA card. Thanks for the help.
Old Feb 14th, 2004, 04:00 PM

Fort Lauderdale Beach only gets better, not worse! There are loads of restaurants in Lauderdale. You'll find Hops, Carlos & Pepes, Outback, etc., along SE 17th Street Causeway between the intracoastal bridge and Federal Hwy. There's also an Italian Restaurant (Dough Boys) that always looks interesting. Also, plenty of chain & fast food places where you can predict the costs for meals (Wendy's, Miami Subs, McD's, Arby's, etc.) And you can always order pizza, there's a Papa John's nearby. On Federal Hwy (U.S. 1) you'll find Ernie's a few blocks south of 17th Street. Parking is scarce during peak hours, but the Conch Chowder (tomato base) and BBQ sandwiches on homemade bread are out of this world! Lunch is good for Ernie's, it's also a bar, but all the locals go there.

Oh, and don't forget to treat the kids to Jaxson's Ice Cream Parlor in Dania on U.S. 1. When you are heading south, it will be on the right side of the road, just past the sign for Grandpa's Bakery (they have great baked goods!) Beware, Jaxson's is not cheap, but their sundaes can feed at least two people. The trip is well worth the fresh homemade ice cream! Mmmmmmmmmm
Old Feb 14th, 2004, 07:25 PM

I've been coming back to this thread to find out what jbellz had heard that would be a "warning" about Ft. Lauderdale. Dangerous? I think it's about as dangerous as Disneyland!! How funny.
Old Feb 14th, 2004, 08:27 PM

Heartburn:

I've tried to post this reply on my post, but it never works. So, I thought I'd try it on here. We're sailing out on Royal Caribbean, Enchantment of the Seas. Do they always park the same place in the port? Are they near 17th Street?
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 06:27 AM

We just got back from FLL and I loved it there. I never felt the least bit uneasy there. In fact, the Las Olas area is so gorgeous, we are thinking of buying a condo near there! Judy
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 07:12 AM

We were in Ft. Lauderdale in November and had a wonderful time. I'd suggest Marriott Harbor Beach Resort. We stayed there and the hotel was excellent. Resort located right on the ocean. They even offer kids activities. We got a great rate off of priceline for $105 a night. We would definitely stay there again. The only negative is the fee for parking. It's $16.00 a day to park in the garage. Valet $21.00. Unfortunately, there wasn't anywhere else we could park.
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 07:12 AM

We were in Ft. Lauderdale in November and had a wonderful time. I'd suggest Marriott Harbor Beach Resort. We stayed there and the hotel was excellent. Resort located right on the ocean. They even offer kids activities. We got a great rate off of priceline for $105 a night. We would definitely stay there again. The only negative is the fee for parking. It's $16.00 a day to park in the garage. Valet $21.00. Unfortunately, there wasn't anywhere else we could park.
Great restaurants nearby. I enjoyed Hops and the Cheesecake factory!! Delicious!!!
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 05:44 PM

TO: tl91
I'm not familiar with where the various ships dock. I only know th Queen Mary 2 is at Dock 21 because it was in the newspaper during its inaugural visit.

The main parking garage is very close to 17th Street Causeway. However, you have to go through security to get into the Port, so walking with luggage might be a haul. I don't even know if you are allowed to WALK into the port. Why do you ask?