Hotel Help!-Miami Area/Fort Lauderdale

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22nd, 2004, 04:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will be spending a weekend in January pre-cruise in the Miami/FLL area. Been to FLL before (spring break college days), but never to the Miami area. Would like a great hotel with a great pool in a "safe" area. Will have a car. Should we stay in Hollywood, FL at the Westin, or in Fort Lauderdale at Lago Mar or Marriott Harbor Beach? Or maybe Coral Cables or Coconut Grove area? Is South Beach area of Miami a good area to stay in? Not sure if we want to be right in the middle of all the action. Planning to visit Vizcaya. Appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!
Old Oct 22nd, 2004, 05:26 AM
GoTravel

Wow! You are all over the place Gail!

Firstly, what is your budget, how many people, and what is the age group?

South Beach, which is a great place to let your hair down, isn't great for kids but you don't need a car. You can walk everywhere.

I absolutely love love love the Westin Diplomat in Hollywood but your must have a car and there is little beach. The pool more than makes up for that.

Ft. Lauderdale is really nice but I like Lauderdale By The Sea quite a bit better. No hotel is over 3 stories and the beaches are beautiful.

Ft. Lauderdale has Las Olas which is a wonderful street with tons of shopping and dining. Great place to sit outside and eat and people watch. It was truly amaze you how much wealth there is out there. 100 foot yachts are everywhere. Thousands of them.

For Miami mainland (Coral Gables, Coconut Grove) I would pick the Mandarin Oriental or one of the Ritz-Carltons. The Sonesta is nice.

North Miami Beach, Aventura, Sunny Isles is very nice. The Sheraton Bal Harbour is a great resort. I think Bal Harbour is one of the nicest (also ritziest) parts of Miami.

You would also be happy with the Lago Mar and the Marriott in Ft. Lauderdale.

Sorry if I've confused you but you really haven't picked any bad spots.

Good luck!

Old Oct 22nd, 2004, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

Go Travel- I just checked the prices out for Diplomat, Lago Mar, and Marriott Harbor, and getting a little sticker shock!!! Everything over $300 per night. The cruise offers $159 for the Manderin Oriental. Maybe should stay there? I hope the location is okay? We will have a car so we can explore anywhere...
Old Oct 22nd, 2004, 06:04 AM
GoTravel

If you have a car, rule out South Beach because a car is more of a liability than as asset. Parking is expensive and scarce.

If you can get the Mandarin Oriental for $159 book it NOW! That is an excellent price for an outstanding hotel. Wow, that is cheap for the MO.

Old Oct 22nd, 2004, 06:11 AM
Original Poster

Go Travel-I thought so too! But that's only for the first night. If you want to stay additional nights, it's $295 per night. But still not a bad deal IMO..........
Old Oct 22nd, 2004, 06:16 AM

Check for hotels in Key Biscayne. All you want is there. 15 minutes drive to port, 20 minutes drive to south beach, it is like a private island (houses above 1 million dollars , tell you something) I live in Miami and South Beach does not do it for me..I see nothing there.
Hotels in Key Biscayne
Ritz Carlton
Sonesta Beach Club and Resort,

Key
Old Oct 22nd, 2004, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

Just called cruise line, and they are quoting me prices PER PERSON, NOT PER ROOM!!! SO Manderin Oriental is not such a great deal after all. Back to the hotel seach again.....
Old Oct 22nd, 2004, 08:27 AM
jd

Lago Mar and Marriott Harbor beach both are great-both have nice pools and are on a nice stretch of beach. There is also a brand new starwood hotel in FLL called The Atlantic that looks really nice. A couple other places to look at would be Turnberry Isle-it is between FLL and MIA. If you don't care about being on the beach, there is a new Seminole Hard Rock hotel that has a 4 acre pool/waterpark, and is located close to the FLL airport. I will be staying there next week and can let you know how it is.
Old Oct 22nd, 2004, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

jd-yes, please let me know how you like the Hard Rock. The 4 acre pool sounds like something my husband would love! I went ahead and book the Marriott Harbor Beach, and will check out the others you mentioned in the meantime. Thanks and enjoy your trip..
Old Oct 25th, 2004, 02:32 PM

We've stayed at both the Harbor Beach and Lago Mar-love them both! The Marriott is a bit nicer, IMO. However, it's usually more pricey. We also like the pool at Marriott better. Just a little thing--but they serve cookies and lemonade by the pool around 4:00, which is nice.
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 06:54 AM
JJ5

For February 2005, I got the FLL Renaissance for three nights pre-cruise at $105 per night. Their rack rate was twice that. I probably could have got it for about $95- but bid a larger amount to get something exactly in that zone and at the higher star rating.
There was not a lot left in the higher ratings, I could tell by what bids were being rejected. I think if you bid resort, you are probably going to end up with Marriott Harbor Beach. See biddingfortravel.com

There is a thread on Fodors concerning this exact market and numerous deals better than mine for Jan.& Feb. 2005.
The areas are closely designated on that bidding site for FLL right now. If you pull up the recent Fodors thread on FLL and Priceline- you will see exactly what people are getting by bidding three star, four star, five star etc. in each zone. The prices you have been quoted are very high. There are very precise zones for Boca, Hollywood and lots of other areas you mention too.

Hotwire is even easier, as you can guess which ones they are just by the amenities offered. People are getting great deals in this area of Florida for winter this year. I wouldn't pay the kinds of prices you've been quoted.
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 05:35 PM

If you want to stay at Marriott Harbor Beach, I'd suggest you keep your reservation and bid on Priceline's Resort Ft Laud Beach zone. You might get it for considerably less than you are paying by booking it through the hotel.