WILL it be FT. LAUDERDALE or MIAMI

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14th, 2003, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to be in Key West for 5 days staying at the Hyatt. NOW, I need to decide whether it will be MIAMI or FT. LAUDERDALE. I am looking for an upscale time....nice surroundings, but not snobby. I am in my 50's and like people watching, relaxing, shopping, the beach and good restaurants. What city has your vote?
Old Nov 14th, 2003, 08:35 AM

Miami - South Beach
Old Nov 14th, 2003, 10:29 AM

South Beach not snobby? You've got to be kidding me.

Most upscale places in South Beach are snobby from what I understand and have seen.

I always prefer Ft. Lauderdale as it's more laid back than Miami, but still has the beauty, people watching and shopping available.

Don't get me wrong, there are some things I liked about Miami in general, but I found most of the crowd in South Beach a little too young and stuck up for my tastes. But I couldn't argue about the scenery or the restaurants and shopping! I found other parts of Miami to be better, however, but then again I'm an "off the beaten path and out of the ordinary" type of traveller!
Old Nov 16th, 2003, 08:53 AM

Just got back from Ft. Lauderdale. Had a wonderful time. Stayed at the Marriott Harbor Beach resort. Beautiful Resort right on the ocean!!! Plenty of shopping if that is what you are looking for. Good restaurants etc. We went to Sawgrass Mill mall. It's a huge outlet mall. Also check out Las Olas Blvd. They have lots of nice shops, boutiques.

Have fun!!
Old Nov 16th, 2003, 09:59 AM

I agree with the above poster.We stayed at the Marriott Harbor Beach hotel in Fort Lauderdale and it was great! Wonderful beach,pool,room,restaurant,and very professional service.
You can't possibly go wrong..
Good luck whatever you decide!
Old Nov 16th, 2003, 01:42 PM

We are 50's also. We love FLL and I also agree with the last 2 posters. You will not regret the Marriot,it is one of the nicest in FLL for being on the beach. It has all you are looking for. I wouldn't hesitate to choose FLL. I have not been to every city in Florida but we have traveled somewhat, and so far FLL was my favorite. Just my opinion.
Old Nov 24th, 2003, 09:25 AM

We're contemplating a Christmastime trip to Miami. A friend is offering his N. Miami apt., so all we'll need are flights and a car.

Two questions: 1) Does it make more sense to fly into FLL or MIA, assuming no big difference in airfares, i.e., is one more user-friendly than the other; and
2) Why are car rental prices so darn high at MIA and FLL? Even economy cars are $80 per day.
Any suggestions?
Old Nov 24th, 2003, 09:30 AM
GoTravel

Prices are so high not so much because of the location but time of year and supply and demand.

FLL is much more user friendly in my opinion.

Do a google search for car rental discount codes and you should find a plethora.

Old Nov 24th, 2003, 09:38 AM

FLSD - If it were me I would definitely be flying into FLL over MIA. Much easier airport to navigate. Rental prices are high because of the time period you are looking at. Change that time period to January and you can get rentals for $150/$160 per week.
If you haven't yet booked airfare you are in for another surprise!
Old Nov 25th, 2003, 05:41 AM

realphoebes-- DEFINITELY Fort Lauderdale..and hit Las Olas Blvd while you are there- it is really hopping! great restaurants and shops!

flsd- FLY into Fort Lauderdale- it is only 1/2 hr to N Miami and traffic is better going S to get to N Miami over Xmas...I would AVOID the Miami airport like the plague...
Old Nov 25th, 2003, 12:15 PM

Thanks to all for the advice!
Old Nov 25th, 2003, 01:09 PM

flsd,
You might want to call Sunshine rent-a-car at 1-888-786-7446 in Ft. L. Rates are very reasonable. They will pick you up at the FLL airport and take you to the rental place about 5 minutes away.