Reload this Page >

ft. lauderdale, miami/south beach, or ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 09:54 AM
Alisha

Ok, two single, late 20/early 30-something females have cheap tix from DC to FLL for 8/24-26 (sat to mon) and are looking for a laid-back mini-vacation. We want to lay on the beach, hang by the pool, eat, maybe do some moderate people watching/window shopping. Would like an area with decent bars; we don't care for the velvet rope club scene. Would prefer not to have to rent a car. So, any suggestions on where we should stay?

Thanks in advance!

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 10:02 AM
lori

I would choose Ft. lauderdale in a heartbeat but you would probably need hotel transportation to the hotels at the beach area. You can take a water taxi to Los Olas Blvd where there is plenty of restaurants shoppping and people watching. Prices are low this time of year. You could stay at the Sheraton Trader right on the beach. This is also within walking distance to the water taxi's. Also on the strip there is plenty of restaurants and outside cafe's. Sounds like fun. There is also a Jungle cruise across the street from the hotel. it includes a tour of the homes. On Sat. I think they run a day trip to Miami. Have fun.

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 08:42 PM
what you like

hey ladies, it depends on what you like. Ft. Lauderdale is whiter, more american, and more tame.Las Olas is great, nice resturants, but an older crowd, more family oriented. South beach is international, wilder, more of a scene. Personally, I think the architecture of South Beach is enough of a reason to distinguish it from FLL, but it also has better shops.Lincoln road is cool, a closed off street full of stores and resturants. Also, the beaches are definitely nicer in South Beach. I live in Fort Lauderdale now, but am from NYC, from my perspective, South Beach is a better destination for travel. Check out the chamber of commerce sites. have fun.

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 08:53 PM
Janna

I've been to Fort Lauderdale and Miami so I can safely say you don't truly need to rent a car in either location, provided your hotel is close to all the action. However, you should know Miami is about a 1 hour drive from Ft. Lauderdale, traffic permitting. I would say go to Miami, and if you want to avoid the velvet rope scene, then head to clubs in the outer areas, like Coconut Grove.

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 04:15 AM
Just how

Just how will these ladies get to Miami from FLL Airport without renting a car?? They are flying into FLL?

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 08:18 AM
Alisha

Original poster here again...thanks for all of your suggestions. We plan on taking a cab or shuttle to/from the hotel. We just don't want to have to worry about having a car to get around once we get there.

-Alisha

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 08:20 AM
confused

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the velvet rope scene? I'm guessing butt-floss. Am I close?

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 09:23 AM
Lori

If you are interested in shuttles FLL hotels are 10 minutes away. Due to the limited time you have to spend,considering traffic, etc. your best best would be FLL on the beach. So I would think. It is the closet location to where you will be flying into. If you were flying into Miami, obviously, different story. Both are great choices.