Reload this Page >

From Las Vegas to Grand Canyon?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27th, 2002, 03:36 PM
jackie

We're going to be visiting Las Vegas in early November and wanted to take a day trip over to the Grand Canyon. Unsure of best route, how much time to allow for driving, whether to head for north or south rim. Would very much appreciate any suggestions.

Old Oct 27th, 2002, 06:00 PM
ditto

I would also like some info so, TTT. Do either of the rims close in December (Xmas Time) due to snow?

Old Oct 27th, 2002, 06:11 PM
sandra

five years ago my fiance now husband made me make that very same trip. I am surprised we are still together. It is a very long boring drive, flat and ugly. It seemed to take about 7 hours each way. It is much better to take one of the small plane tours or the helicopter ride into the canyon

Old Oct 27th, 2002, 07:40 PM
Utahtea

The visitor center at the North rim is already closed for the season and the road will be closed by snow at any time. I would forget about the North Rim.

The south rim is 560 miles round trip from Vegas. Take Hwy 93 south to I-40 and then at Williams take Hwy 64 north to the S. Rim.

There are tour bus trips that take you on a 14 hour tour to the Grand Canyon and back. They leave Las Vegas at 6:30 A.M. and return at 8 or 8:30 P. M. It's a long day! I would recommend spending the night if you can fit it into your trip. If you go take warm clothes because the Grand Canyon is at 7,000 ft. elevation and it can get cold.

If you want a shorter day trip, then try the 340 mile round trip to Zion National Park via I-15 and Hwy 9 & 12.

To ditto: The S. Rim is open year round but there are days that it can be closed because of heavy snows conditions.

Utahtea

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 04:40 AM
sj

Utahtea has a great idea. ZION is a wonderful, beautiful national park.

If you've never been to the Grand Canyon & might not get another chance - don't miss it either. Unless flying over, you would want to spend a night there before driving back so you have enough time to enjoy the view.

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 06:15 AM
Tom

My family and I did this in May 1998. We stayed overnight in a park lodge The drive from Las Vegas was about 5 hours one way. This can vary due to traffic near Hoover Dam, if you go that route. We enjoyed the different terrain changes along the way. We spent some time in Williams, AZ. There was a Memorial Day fair taking place. We also stopped in Bedrock, about 20 miles from the South Rim. Bedrock is a re-creation of the Flintstones village. Young children will love it. The Grand Canyon is impressive. Be careful when close to the rim.

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 01:46 PM
Mike Honeycutt

Unless someone in your party really likes to drive, I second the recommendations on going on a tour bus. I would also ask how long the bus stops at the canyon to let you take pictures. Some of the buses seemed to wait no longer than 20 minutes before everyone had to be back on board.

If, on the other hand, you can spend the night, you should drive so you can stop at places that interest you.

When we drove from Las Vegas to GC in April, they were stopping cars at Hoover Dam in an attempt to find terrorists. Is that still the case?

Mike Honeycutt