COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

How long a drive is it from Las Vegas to the Grand Canyon?

Old Jul 10th, 2006, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

Doing a visit to family to LV and are thinking of driving to the Grand Canyon. Just wondering how far the drive is and what the roads are like? Thanks All!
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 08:45 AM

Not meant to be sarcastic but the Grand Canyon covers a large area. Do you care where you see it? North Rim, South Rim?

LV to the South Rim is about 250 miles and will take you 4.5 to 5 hours to drive. The drive is high desert and the roads are in good shape (in the summer).

Alot of the LV tours take people to an indian reservation that is closer to LV but you don't get anywhere near the views as from the South Rim Station.
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 10:07 AM

I will repeat the above statement: it's five hours EACH way between Vegas and the Canyon -- meaning ten hours of driving if you plan on making it a day trip. If you do it during the summer, expect horrendous heat and large crowds. If at ALL possible, spend at least one night at the Canyon, because sunrise is the best time to see it.
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 10:12 AM

I agree -- if you can, spend a night at the Canyon. And I'd got farther and emphasize AT the Canyon, in one of the lodges in the park. We stayed at Thunderbord -- bare-bones but clean and comfortable. It was nice to get up for the sunrise and make the drive home fresh. Nighttime desert drives can be unnerving especially if you live near a city with lots of light pollution...and streetlights!

Also, when are you going? Part of the Canyon (I think it's the North Rim) is closed for the winter.
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 10:12 AM

I bet if I tried really hard, I could've made a few more typos in that post!
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 10:35 AM

Yeah, right. You just don't want Hop and Pop are whatever her name was to think you are ignorant.
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 10:35 AM

Hopandpop OR whatever her name was...

See, I'm REALLY ignorant!
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info! We were thinking of going in Jan. We go to Vegas several times a year to see our grandson so we could pick another time of year if needed. But we know we are going in Jan. for one of our daughters 21st B-Day.
We would stay the night if we went to Grand Canyon for sure. I hate to be rushed. Thanks again
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 05:29 PM

Starrsville -- funny. I was just picturing someone saying, "Well, she says the hotel is nice, but she also thinks it's called the Thunderbord..."

luvs2pack -- double-checked and it's the north rim that's closed during winter. The south rim is where the lodges are located, though. You can get more info at http://www.grandcanyonlodges.com/

From Las Vegas the south rim is about five hours. If you're spending the night at the Canyon, you'll be in less of a rush and therefore may want to stop at Hoover Dam along the way.
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 07:45 AM

Rooms at the rim can be hard to come by. Book as early as possible if you think you may be going - and cancel as soon as you know you won't be going.

When I thought there was a chance I'd be in AZ I booked the only night open for weeks at the North Rim. Sure enough, the trip firmed up and now I'm staying at the North Rim for the first time. I'm so excited!

Book early!