WEST RIM OF GRAND CANYON AND OTHER SIGHTS

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2010, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it possible or worth a day trip to West Rim of Grand Canyon? We have read some information on it and supposedly it is a 2 1/2 hour drive there, but then it costs a fortune to get to the canyon b/c of the high price of shuttle service and other costs charged by the tribe. Some reports say it is well worth the effort and money and others say it is a rip-off. We are renting a car for a couple of days and would like to see some of the sights outside of Vegas. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Old Mar 28th, 2010, 07:09 AM
J62

Some say it is well worth the effort and others say it is a rip off. Here on Fodors you're like to get more of the latter opinion.

It's about 5hrs from Vegas to GCNP, and only about 3 to Zion NP. In my opinion just going to the West Rim would not be fulfilling. Going just to the South rim is also not filling but it'll cost a whole lot less & you're truly at the GC. One day I want spend a few weeks there and raft through and enjoy the canyon from the bottom, not just stand at the top an gaze & take pictures.

With that in mind, if I had a few days out of Vegas I'd visit Zion again in a heartbeat.
Old Mar 28th, 2010, 07:50 AM

I concur with J62 - I would recommend a trip to Zion over the West Rim of the Grand Canyon. The latter portion of the drive to Zion is quite nice.

For the days that you are renting the car are you still spending the night in Las Vegas? If so, traveling to the North Rim or South Rim of the Grand Canyon would be a long haul for a day trip. However, if you have one night or more that you can spend away from Las Vegas, consider spending the night at either the North or South rim. Many folks that have been to both prefer the North Rim. However, the North Rim is usually closed and inaccessable due to snow until Mid-May each year.
Old Mar 28th, 2010, 08:16 AM

The Skywalk is one of the two biggest tourist traps in Arizona, probably # 1 in most people's book. Avoid the so-called "west rim", which isn't even in Grand Canyon National Park.

"West Rim" is a concept Vegas investors and the local impoverished Indian tribe concocted to fleece Vegas visitors who feel they don't have enough time to go to the real Grand Canyon. It is to the Grand Canyon what Luxor is to Egyptian Pyramids, Bellagio is to Venice, Paris Las Vegas is to Paris France, etc etc ...

Zion or south rim of GC would be much better trips.
Old Mar 28th, 2010, 10:14 PM

The Valley of Fire State Park is beautiful. The Hoover Dam tour is interesting and Death Valley is only 2 hours away. Red Rock canyon has horseback riding tours.
Old Mar 29th, 2010, 02:52 AM

I agree that the south rim of the grand Canyon is too far for a day trip from Vegas but well worth an overnight. Staying at one of the lodges at the park and seeing a sunset and/or sunrise is a wonderful experience. Hoover Dam is on the way to the south rim.
Old Apr 2nd, 2010, 04:00 PM

If you are going to Vegas from November to April, you could go over to Death Valley for a day trip. Summer is too hot. Other sights that are closer to Vegas are Hoover Dam, Valley of Fire State Park and Red Rock Canyon.

In late Spring through early Fall, Zion is great to visit but it would be best to overnight there. It's a lot of driving as a day trip.

If you only have a day and want to see the Grand Canyon, you could take a jeep tour to Toroweap. This is for the more adventuresome because it's a long trip through rugged terrain but it takes you to one of the most awesome viewpoints in North America.

http://www.pinkjeep.com/jeep-tours/l...toroweap.shtml
Old Apr 3rd, 2010, 07:15 PM

Most folks on Fodors will agree that the West Rim isn't really the "True Grand Canyon".

While the Grand Canyon does give you the best "wow" for an hour or two, Zion gives an almost as big of a "wow", but there is plenty there to keep you busy for at least 2 or 3 days and even more if you want to hike a lot. Grand Canyon is best experienced hiking down into it, or rafting it.
Old Apr 10th, 2010, 05:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone!