las vegas to hoover dam and grand canyon.

Old Jun 10th, 2014, 05:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
las vegas to hoover dam and grand canyon.

Hi All.. new to Fodor's, DH and I will be in Vegas this coming Aug., we see there are several different options to take a day trip to Hoover Dam and G. Canyon. The Pink Jeep Co. looked rather interesting, but then again a bus has some advantages too...
So, We were hoping some one could help us, any and all tips/advice welcome on how you traveled to HD and GC .
Thank you (=
Old Jun 10th, 2014, 06:21 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
If you can rent a car in LV you can see a lot more on your own schedule. Depending on the time of day you leave the car rental place in LV, you can easily drive to the Hacienda and check in.
The Hacienda is 2 miles from Hoover Dam. You can also get a helicopter ride over Hoover Dam and Lake Meade from the little hill next to the Hacienda parking lot.
I take it that you want to visit the South Rim of the Grand Canyon. Setting your own schedule is better than taking the Pink Jeep tour IMO.
With a few extra days, you can extend the trip to include Zion and Bryce in southern Utah.
Old Jun 10th, 2014, 06:36 PM

I agree with tomfuller about the car, Zion, and Bryce (especially Zion). Zion together with the north rim of Grand Canyon would make a great outing.

I would add that I think the Grand Canyon is pretty disappointing as a day trip. If you spend the night you can walk along the canyon in the evening and in the morning after the day-trippers have left and before they have arrived. It makes all the difference in the world.

Las Vegas to Zion NP to the north rim of the Grand Canyon is 304 miles; Las Vegas to the south rim of the Grand Canyon is 288 miles.

HTtY
Old Jun 10th, 2014, 06:45 PM

I totally agree, rent a car and drive to the National Park. Some of the tours take you to an area called the west rim that isn't as spectacular as either the north or south rim NP areas IMO.
Old Jun 11th, 2014, 12:07 AM

If you do decided on a tour to the Grand Canyon....make sure you are going to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon National Park and not just the West Rim which is actually out side the National Park and on a Indian Reservations. A lot of the tours go to the West Rim because it's closer and makes an easier day trip.

It is about a 550 mile round trip from Las Vegas to the South Rim but I agree that renting a car will be your best option.

Utahtea
Old Dec 23rd, 2014, 03:48 AM

Day trips to Hoover Dam and Grand Canyon generally go to West Rim - which as mentioned above is not the image most of us have of the Grand Canyon. Any chance you can spend a night at the South Rim on one end of the trip or the other?
Old Dec 23rd, 2014, 07:30 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Looks like addison joined this morning to plug a website.
A rental car on your own schedule is still the best to get to the SOUTH RIM.
Old Dec 23rd, 2014, 07:38 AM

The trip took place last August.