Freaky Friday Rants & Raves 6-23-06

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 08:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rant: Last week's FFR&R was cut off. There was nothing offensive or controversial at all on the thread.

Rave: A friend from eighteen years ago called me today. We had lots of things to talk about.

Rant: Erosion from rain this year is out of control. :-?

Rave: Doing business from my office at home.

Rave: Wednesday was the longest day of the year. The Summer Solstice. I watched the sun set.
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 08:11 PM

Rave: My banning is OVER!

Rave: My banning is over in time for the Atlanta GTG on Saturday.

Not a rant, but... wish more Fodorites could join us.

Rave: Get to meet Guy18 and partner on Saturday!

Rave: Diversity service at church tonight.

Rave: Good friends - those I see on a regular basis - and "virtual" (or as they've been called by Fodorite families = imaginary friends)

Rave: Some will no longer be virtual (or imaginary) on Saturday!

Rave: Support by my Fodorite friends during the past week.

Rave: Competent doctors who are able to provide competent medical advice

Happy Friday all!
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 08:13 PM

Rave: Fodors sending me "goodies" for the GTG even though I was in "time out"
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 08:15 PM

jorr, last week's FFRR is still "live". I almost topped it, but was afraid it would confuse the issue. I don't THINK it was cut off.
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 08:38 PM

Rant: It was a hellacious day at work...for everyone. Everytime we put out one fire, another one started. I still have a few cans of worms sitting on my desk, but to hell with it.

Rave: I leave for San Diego in about 18 hours.

Rant: I will miss DH while I'm gone.

Rave: A local friend will be in SD the same time as me, so we plan on meeting up.

Rant: This is the first time I am traveling where I have no clue what I'm doing or how to get around.

Rave: Winging it is part of the fun!!!

Rave: It's Friday!!! And I took off work Monday to have another day in SD!!!
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 08:52 PM

Rave! :

Just hours ago, the Senate voted on the Kerry-Feingold proposal to redeploy American combat troops out of Iraq by July 1, 2007. Thirteen Senators voted for it:

Sen. Daniel Akaka (D-HI)
Sen. Barbara Boxer (D-CA), co-sponsor
Sen. Richard Durbin (D-IL)
Sen. Tom Harkin (D-IA)
Sen. Daniel Inouye (D-HI)
Sen. James Jeffords (I-VT)
Sen. Edward Kennedy (D-MA)
Sen. Frank Lautenberg (D-NJ)
Sen. Patrick Leahy (D-VT), co-sponsor
Sen. Robert Menendez (D-NJ)
Sen. Ron Wyden (D-OR)

--

Rant! :

It failed miserably and as the stark statistics continue to grow unabated I wonder if anyone in this country really gives a sh!t.

http://icasualties.org/oif/
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 08:57 PM

Rave: starrsville is back
Rave: warm sunny dry weather is here in Portland!
Rave: trip planning is always fun.

gyppielou has a beautiful Visla named Max who was hit by a hit and run driver. Max came very close to dying. Max is now home and being spoiled rotten and well enough for gyppie and mrlou to go to Hawaii soon

to my friend who is going through a very tough dark time right now..she & her husband need plenty of good thoughts.
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 04:07 AM
P_M

Rave: Starrsy has served her time and she has been released.

Rave: On this date in 1939 my grandparents eloped. They had no car so they hitched a ride to the courthouse. When the judge learned that Grandmother was only 17 instead of 18, he said, "Well, that's close enough." After the ceremony they didn't have the nerve to tell Grandmother's dad they were married, so they went back to their respective homes and lived apart for the rest of the summer. Finally at the end of the summer, Grandmother's dad learned from the town gossip that his daughter was married. He got so mad he demanded she move in w/her husband. She did and the marriage lasted almost 60 years until Grandmother's passing.

Rant: As you may recall, we have a neighborhood looney who spent some time in the funny farm for some Looney Tuning. At first he seemed OK, but now he has put a big scarecrow on his porch. I can see doing this at Halloween, but it's really weird at this time of year. If it's to deter people from stopping by, then it's really not necessary, as nobody in the 'hood wants to visit him.

Rave: gyppie's dog is better.

Sending good wishes to Scarlett's friend and all others who need it.

Happy weekend!!
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 04:28 AM

Rave: Today's my birthday and I'm heading out of town for a long weekend!

Rant: Turning 38.

Rave: Just got paid for a big project - just in time to spend some of it on my birthday!

Rave: All the wonderful and kind Fodorites who are always so willing to share their opinions (good or bad!) and help others.

Welcome back Starrsville! Try to behave yourself from now on, will ya?! I wish I could join you guys in Atlanta - have fun!

Have fun in SD MissJanna, and remember - work is only work, nothing more.

And yes, Bluestar, it is a major disappointment the Kerry-Feingold bill did not pass, and since my senator was against it, I will write her a note letting her know of my displeasure!

Glad to hear Max is ok too!

Have a fabulous weekend everyone!
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 04:40 AM

Only RAVES from Mari:

After three weeks going through crisis after crisis at work with my first big project...it is DONE and it even WORKS!!!! Expressing relief is such an understatement....

My mother's additional pathology results all came back negative, cancer was limited to her uterus and no additional treatment will be required. The big hysterectomy was a non-event. She was wanting to go to Walmart two weeks after the surgery with staples still all over her belly (for the record, she did not go but we had to hide the car keys!)

DH is leaving tomorrow morning for Switzerland to visit his family. DD and me will be joining him the week after for:

THREE WEEKS OF VACATION IN SWITZERLAND!!!!

We have been there before but we always had to do a lot visiting and did not get to see much. This time we are taking off to actually see the country. I might be a bit broke after that but we will survive....
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 04:43 AM

Rave: Celebrating a wedding, 2 - 40th Wedding Anniversaries and a 60th Wedding Anniversary-all this weekend! That's alot of years!!=D>

Rave: The long summer days.......
Rave: Family & friends that are always there for you.
Rave: Good health
Rant: We need some rain! Things are getting pretty dry around here.
Rave: Trip planning is in the works. Chicago with our granddaughter this fall, Disney World with our oldest daughter and her family in December, and Mexico again in Feb '07. I LOVE to plan trips!!

Have a great weekend everyone!
Pam
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 04:43 AM

missjanna - on the Europe forum, you should read the report by murphy about solo traveling. Her insight is quite profound and her maturity well beyond her age. Well worth the time to read.

P_M - wonderful story about your grandparents. Sadly, that generation is dying off. Oh, the stories they have to tell...

Rant: 55-year-old friend diagnosed with ovarian cancer on Monday. Yesterday she had surgery -- 22 fist-sized tumors removed -- yes, fist-sized! Say a prayer for her, please.

Rave: Baby deer born on my back lawn yesterday. They curl up like a snake, stay still all day until their mothers come retrieve them. So cute and very tiny.

Rant: Fireworks stands going up all over town: Buy 1, get 12 free. It amazes me they still allow these. Many neighborhoods, mine included, ban them but people still shoot them off. The ones that propel like rockets scare the you-know-what out of me, especially when it's so dry.

Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 05:13 AM
GoTravel

Rave: It's summer!

Rave: Watermelon, fireworks, fried shrimp, solarcain, Coppertone, baseball, boat parades, deep sea fishing, boiled peanuts, coca-cola in the bottle, corn on the cob, and the ocean!

Rant: Fireworks after 1AM during the week, traffic, people running over my trash can for sport(I've lost five this year).

Rave: The goslings on my golf course!

Rave: Tortola in a couple of days!

Rave: All my new iPod music for Tortola!

Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 05:15 AM
Tess

P_M--what a cute grandma/grandpa story--'close enough'--love it.

Raves to all Fodorites celebrating anniversaries and other special days this week.

Rave: Leaving for Rapid City, South Dakota in a couple of hours for a soccer tournament.

Baby size rant:We've been going to this tournament for the past nine years and this will probably be the last one since our son is a senior this year. The 'firsts' of the 'lasts' has begun...

Rave/rant: We're letting our daughter take a friend along. Two 14 year old girls--oh my!

Fodorites in Atlanta, have a great GTG this weekend

Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 05:16 AM

Rant: The Sedona fire is very, very close to the Canyon Wren Cabins where we spent our wonderfully romantic 10th anniversary 2 years ago. It's making me so sad to read the updates (but I do appreciate them EMD and USNR).

Rave: We had a blast camping with the Cub Scouts last weekend. Who'd a thunk?
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 05:55 AM

Rave- OSU Beavers made it to the finals for the College World Series!

Rave--DH flies home today. Then we head to the Seattle area for the weekend to visit old friends.

Rave--Found a nice kennel for our pup. DH felt she was getting a bit old to keep paying our kids friends to watch her. I found a place in the country that looks like will be a good place for her. I feel like I am sending my child to a babysitters for the first time though.

Starrsville--Glad to see you got out of the penalty box

Scarlett--She is still in my thoughts.

PM--What a great story about your grandparents.

traveladdict--Happy Birthday!

marigross--What great news regarding your mom!

kopp--Your friend is in my thoughts as well. Wow, that is a lot of tumors. How was it missed for so long, if you don't mind me asking?

Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 06:20 AM

RAVE: We FINALLY decided on our honeymoon destination...The winner is Puerto Vallarta. We're really eyeing the Dreams resort so now it's a matter of finding the best package. I'd love to hear any tips, recommendations, etc. anyone has.

RAVE: We picked out our wedding bands last weekend.

RAVE: I feel like we're finally making a dent in the list of wedding to-do's and it feels great. If only I could get the scale to go down again, I'd feel even better.

RAVE: Cousin will graduate from High School tonight and then we'll be celebrating it tomorrow with a good ol' summer bbq. And, I don't even think it's going to rain.

Scarlett--she is still in my thoughts.

WELCOME BACK Starrsville!

Happy Birthday Travel Addict!

Great news Marigross.

Sorry to hear about your friend, Kopp.
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 06:31 AM

Rave: School is out so my driving to this and that activity will be greatly reduced.

Rant: Oldest DD joined a travel softball team thereby negating rave above.

Rave: Youngest DD brought home a straight A report card. She is so smart funny, hard working and responsible. Definately does not take after her mother.

Rave: Addition is going up smoothly except for a minor glitch or two. Contractors are great and are doing a wonderful job, clean up after themselves and are respectful. Definately exceeding expectations.

Best wishes for all Fodorites beginning their summer vacations. Carpe Diem!

Prayers for those in need. Be strong!
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 06:46 AM

rave: it's friday!!

rave: errands at home tomorrow, i'll get to see my cats!

rave: 4th of july is coming...one of my favorite holidays.

rave: saw dear friends last w'end.

rave: x men 3!

rant/rave: my summer looks like it's booked up. some stuff, i will enjoy doing, and some other obligations, i will not enjoy. ;-) but it will make the time pass in the crazy heat of summer in new york.
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 06:47 AM

Happy Birthday TravelAddict!

Prayers and good thoughts for Scarlett's friend.

Rave: It's Friday!

Rave: Hosting a bridal shower for my sister tomorrow night -- with NO games!

Rave: My grandparents are driving to MT to visit this weekend. I'm excited to see them. All of my siblings will also be home.

Rave: A tour guide alumni reunion at Lewis and Clark Caverns State Park planned for tomorrow. Tour guiding was the best summer job I ever had. I'm excited to see old friends!

Rant/Rave: So in an effort to finally be rid of the last two pounds of baby weight (from two years ago - ugh), I've signed up for "Fitness Boot Camp" at my gym.

We start at 6 am, three mornings a week for six weeks. I hope this shakes me out of my boring and dreaded treadmill and eliptical machine routine.

Rave: It's beautiful outside. I have a trip to the wine shop planned at lunch.

Aren't you glad it's summer?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -