Four Seasons Scottsdale Trip Report

Old Jun 13th, 2006, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Four Seasons Scottsdale Trip Report

We spent June 9-11 in Arizona for a weekend getaway. The main reason for going to Phoenix was to attend a Diamondbacks game and to relax! We don’t normally sit at a resort on vacation, but our goal this time was just to enjoy the scenery and unwind, so that was a big reason why we chose the Four Seasons in Scottsdale. I wanted an out of the way place that would be comfortable and removed from the city. I wanted to feel like I was in the Southwest and away from the commotion of every day life. The Four Seasons was perfect for us. We had an outstanding time together and the weekend was wonderful.

I left Friday morning to enjoy the resort and get an extra day of vacation and my husband joined me Friday evening after work. I arrived in Phoenix around 9:30 a.m. and got the rental car. I then drove out to the Four Seasons in Scottsdale, about a 40 minute drive. When I arrived, I was greeted by a very attentive staff and offered some wonderful pear iced tea. Despite the early hour, I was checked in right away and shown to my room. We were upgraded due to the low crowds and our room was in building 25. The room was very nice with a sitting area, fireplace, gorgeous bathroom and a lovely patio with a nice view of desert landscape. I took a look around and then walked out to the spa as I had a reservation to use the ball machine out at the tennis courts. The court time and use of the ball machine were complimentary for guests. I enjoyed about 45 minutes of hitting the ball around and then decided I needed lunch, cold water and the pool as it was very warm! I went back to the spa and was greeted with ice water and a cold washcloth. The spa looked very nice but I didn’t have a treatment. The fitness center was large and each cardio machine had its own television and DVD player. I looked into fitness classes but was not able to take one as they were early in the morning before I arrived. While I was there, they had spinning and mat pilates. Classes are $10 apiece. After tennis, I went over to the poolside restaurant and enjoyed lunch under a shady umbrella and misters. The club sandwich and fries were very good. Several people were watching the World Cup. After lunch, I took a walk around the resort and headed back to my room to change, then headed to the pool. They have two pools. The bigger one is for everyone, with the smaller one for adults only. The pool staff was outstanding, as they set up your chair and got you a pitcher of ice water. After some great pool time, I got cleaned up and picked up my husband from the airport. We joined his sister and her husband at a great Mexican restaurant in Mesa called Tia Rosa. It was a fun local place with live music and a fantastic outdoor patio.

Saturday morning we got up fairly early and took the Four Seasons path (about a half mile) over to Pinnacle Peak and enjoyed a beautiful hike. The entire trail was about 3.5 miles, 1.75 each way. It was a gorgeous hike with tremendous views all around the peak. The trail wrapped around the peak. It was fairly challenging going up but the views were worth it. We got to the highest point on the hike, about a mile in, and turned back as we had not had breakfast and it was quite hot. The hike was great for bird watching and beautiful cactus and other plants. We took lots of pictures. We made our way back to the resort and enjoyed a great breakfast on the outdoor patio at the Crescent Moon restaurant, then went back to the room to change for the pool. That evening we headed to the Diamondbacks game. We bought tickets there and spent some time walking around the park. We love to see the different ballparks in the league and were happy to add another one to the list. The roof was open and we sat upstairs behind home plate so we had a great vantage point. After the game, we went back to the hotel and walked around the grounds. We saw several toads and a little black and white snake. We sat on the patio and looked at the stars for a little while, then quickly fell asleep.

We left Sunday open and enjoyed sleeping in a bit. We had a late flight out so we decided to enjoy the pool before we had to leave. After breakfast on the patio, we enjoyed some relaxation at the pool. After a few hours, we packed up and got ready to leave. After we left the resort we drove toward the airport and stopped at a huge shopping area off Hwy. 101 (last exit before the 51) and had lunch. We looked around the shops a bit before taking off. Once at the airport, our flight was delayed for an hour and a half due to weather in Denver. Back to reality!

We loved the Four Seasons and were so glad we chose to stay there. It was exactly what we were looking for on this trip. It was removed from the city and had beautiful grounds. The service was amazing and the staff truly went above and beyond. For example, they checked us into our flight and printed out our boarding cards before we left. The front desk staff made a trip to the kitchen to get us ice before our hike. We had a problem with our car tire and the staff came to the parking lot to fill it with air for us before we left. The pool staff was great, getting water, moving chairs, putting up umbrellas, etc., all day long. The fitness facilities and spa were fantastic. Bottled water is available complimentary and we found this very helpful with the heat. The room was very nice with twice daily housekeeping and turndown service. The bathroom was large with double sinks and a separate bath and shower. The bath products were L’Occitane and were fantastic! We loved our patio and the scenery right outside our door. The resort was not glitzy, but very Southwest and we loved that. It definitely fit right in with the surroundings. Our weekend was very relaxing and just what we needed. We had an amazing time!
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 11:03 AM

rockie-Sounds like you and your husband had a wonderful relaxing weekend. Thanks for the info on the Four Seasons Resort.
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 11:19 AM
wow

Rockie, Thanks for the trip report. It caught my eye b/c I am thinking of going there in September. Is this the Four Seasons Residence Club @ Troon North? What's the weather like in September? Hot? Too hot? If I go there, this wld be a big change for me b/c I always spend my vacations near the ocean. So, to be somewhere where there is no beach & all desert wld be very different.
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 02:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for reading and for your replies! Wow, I'm not sure how the weather is in September because this was our first trip to Arizona. I'm sure the Weather channel would have averages or something for you to go off of. Yes, this resort had a Residence Club. That area was up the road a bit from our building and had a separate check in and separate pool. You could attend an information session on the Residence club while staying at the Four Seasons.
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 04:48 PM
wow

ok, thx!
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 05:41 PM

I spent about 5 days there a couple years ago and it was beautiful - this was in November.

Now a warning to those of you who have a fear of scorpions/snakes. I spoke to the room service attendant how guests manage in the hot months with these critters, and he said 'believe it or not, we've had to come into guest rooms to remove a snake that ended up in the room'. I love Four Seasons scottsdale - but I know to stay away in the summer.
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 06:07 PM
wow

Gross! Are we safe in September?
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 06:11 PM

Oh geez. I've stayed in resorts in either Phoenix/ Scottsdale or Florida every summer for over 20 years and have never seen a snake or scorpion in my room - nor have any of the 100+ other folks in my group. Not saying it can't happen - but it is highly unlikely.

Now, scorpions in the basement laundry room of the house I grew up in (SEn US) = regular basis.

Don't worry about crawly things at the Four Seasons Scottsdale.
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 06:22 PM
wow

thx, Starrsville.
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 06:26 PM

No problem
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 07:57 PM

I also hope you don't encounter any creepy crawlies in September. I have a phobia of snakes so the idea that a hotel has a 'snake wrangler' on the premises worries the crap out of me.

Also, from the original poster:
"After the game, we went back to the hotel and walked around the grounds. We saw several toads and a little black and white snake. "

"
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 08:53 PM

25 years in AZ and have never had a snake in the house, nor do I know anyone who has had a snake in the house. this is not something to worry about.
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 04:40 PM

The Four Seasons is lovely and will charge you dearly for everything. (Spent $6K there for a week a few months ago.)

If you are a foodie like me, you will come to loathe all thr driving you need to do to get to the Scottsdale restaurants. Let's not even think about PHX!