The nina family hits AZ, Part 2 - Phoenix

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2003, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We arrived back in PHX the following Wednesday night, just in time to check-in and go to sleep. Thursday was the only full day we had in PHX. We were so tired from hiking and driving, that we took advantage of the great facilities at the resort. The only time we left the hotel that day (and with that phoenix traffic, why bother), was to visit Taliesin West. It was really beautiful, and the surrounding landscape was very nice, a real desert feel. Loved all the cactus.

We also left for dinner. We decided to eat at the Arizona Biltmore, where my husband had previously stayed for 5 nights on business. He told me it was a gorgeous hotel but nothing prepared me for how truly special it was. Next time we go to Phoenix, we're splurging. This is one hotel that I can honestly say I feel is worth the money. The architecture and detail is stunning. I really did not want to leave.

We had dinner on the patio, next to a beautiful 4-sided fireplace. The food was excellent. Lots of families were dining there. we also took a peek inside the wine cellar which was outside the more expensive Biltmore restaurant, looked at the pool (drop dead gorgeous), and strolled all through the grounds.

I've been to a lot of hotels, and can honestly say this was by far my favorite. Anywhere.

We also stopped in at the Phoenician to check it out. A little too glitzy for my tastes and IMO, doesn't hold a candle to the Biltmore. A totally different feel. Both are probably the same price, but give me the Biltmore any day. The Phoenician felt like so many of the mega resorts in Hawaii. It did have a nice open pit fire on the terrace though.

The next morning we lounged at the pool before flying home. I'll post my Sedona and GC reports shortly.

Old Apr 21st, 2003, 12:06 PM

Nina - thanks for posting your trip report. You have taken the trip that I have mentally planned for sometime in the future - you've even stayed one of the hotels that I was researching. So your insights are helpful. How was the weather? It sounds like to was warm enough for your kids to swim. Looking forward to the rest of the reports.
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

Bennie,
The weather in Phoenix was perfect - sunny and mid to high seventies. It cooled down a bit at night, we just wore jackets. I love being outside so unless it's really cold, I'd opt for the outdoor dining.

What hotel were you considering? I could give you more info if I have it.
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 12:35 PM
GoTravel

Loved the report Nina and I'm looking forward to the Grand Canyon report.

I can say that the Arizona Biltmore is one of the greatest resorts I've ever had the pleasure to stay. It is worth the money.

Old Apr 21st, 2003, 12:39 PM
Kal

N,
I'm off to Phx tomorrow for 3 days and wish I had some time to do some of these.

Suggestion. Cut and paste all your trip reports under one heading for future text search convenience?
Mahalo,
Kal
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 01:09 PM
Original Poster

Kal, I initially tried to post these 2 as one report but the text was over the limit. Unfortunately this forum will only accept shorter posts, otherwise I would have done all the reports as one.
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 03:40 PM

Nina - I was looking into the Pointe Hilton Tapatio. The website and comments here made it look pretty appealing. Sounds like a very nice pool, nice suites etc. But I'll have to reconsider if the rooms are dated and musty - cannot stand a musty room.

Glad to hear the weather was good. I was under the impression that April was too cold for swimming. But 70s is warm enough for us.

Glad you had a nice trip.
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 04:20 PM

Nina - Terrific trip report!!! I'm glad that you all had so much fun in one of my favorite cities. I too look forward to your GC report.

I believe you may have misunderstood what Kal suggested about posting your trip report. It is best if you post your first part, and then "reply" to your original post with Part 2. It's a great trick to get your entire post under one heading.

Happy Trails,
Paul
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 05:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Paul, Kal just demonstrated for me.

Bennie, April in Phoenix is plenty warm, it was actually a cool week, the previous week temps were in the high 80's and 90's. If you are looking at hotels in Tapatio's price range, I thought the Doubletree La Posada and the Sunburst looked very nice, and were in better locations. They probably didn't have as extensive pool facilities, but I'm sure if you're traveling with kids they'd still have enough to keep them busy. If you're not traveling with kids you don't want to stay at the Pointe Hiltons anyway, the place was crawling with kids and families, it really was perfect for them.