Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

For early morning flight out of Savannah, where to stay?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2003, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Flight out of Savannah leaves at 7am. How far from historical part of Savannah to get to airport by taxi, and do you know approximate taxi fare? Trying to decide if we should stay downtown or at airport hotel.
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 08:38 PM
Original Poster

anyone?
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 09:44 PM

It's been more than 10 years since I visited Savannah. I don't remember all the details but the city wasn't that big so that even a downtown hotel would not be more than 30 minutes or so by taxi. Downtown hotels sometimes have a taxi stand. Of course, airport hotels usually have a shuttle and you don't have to wait too long for them.
Old Apr 12th, 2003, 03:50 AM
OliveOyl

It used to take us 15-20 minutes via the back way from downtown. Then the airport got "re-arranged": new terminal, new entrances and new route to get there. Now it's reached via I-16 and I honestly don't recall how long it took us after it was rebuilt, but it was longer than our old route.

The airport hotels were little things, like Days Inn...don't know if there was a shuttle. It's so much nicer staying downtown, but then, I understand your need for peace of mind too in getting to the airport at that ungodly hour! Why don't you give one of the hotels you are interested in a call, and get the airport info straight from the horses mouth. That's too important a statistic to rely on the board and possible vague recollections, IMHO.

Old Apr 12th, 2003, 05:07 AM

Here's where Orbitz or Travelocity come in handy, not for booking but for location (although if you wanna book through them, fine).

Orbitz: click on "hotels" tab, fill in airport code (SAV = Savannah) and dates. When results come up, be SURE to look just above the list where it says "list hotels byquot; and click on little dot next to "distance from airport."

Travelocity: Click "hotels" tab, then "near an airport" then write in the city or airport. When the list of hotels comes up in a "near-an-aiport" search, I NEVER rely on the list as is but ALWAYS click on "show hotels ON A MAP" and then "click and recenter" right at the airport. The reason for this is that T'city is cagey about listing favorites rather than by distance or even price. And motel chains can "lie" in their name, calling themselves "StayHere Inn Airport" when they are miles away.

I took a quick trial at both sites for SAV and found more useful results at Orbitz, listing a Fairfield and a Days Inn at about a mile from the airport. However, for the most part, it seems your greatest selection is out on I-95 near the exit(s) for the airport.

Whenever I have an early flight out of an unfamiliar airport, I do this search and then book directly on the hotel chain's home website.
Old Apr 12th, 2003, 05:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone. Decided to stay downtown and just get up super early to catch flight. That will give me more time to see historical Savannah. I booked the Desoto Hilton.
Old Apr 12th, 2003, 05:46 AM

I think you'll enjoy staying downtown. As you say, it will give you more time to wander and to get the feel of Savannah. We stayed downtown and there was no need to use our car at all. We also had to leave early, although we were driving, but were so happy to be able to spend the extra time in the historical district. Perhaps you could have dinner at the Pink House (make reservations). Have a great time.