Footwear fashion question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21st, 2009, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since I don't pay too much attention to this sort of thing, this new (to me) development is somewhat intriguing. I am referring to the current fashion (female) of footwear that consists of a small rubberized pad with a slot tostick your big toe into - and that's it. As I walk the streets, ride the subway, or wherever this is about what is worn by about 98% of the feminine population. My experience is in New York but I guess this same phenomenon appears from Timbuctoo to Beijing. I can remember a day when people wore - and I include this word herein as it may be unknown to the current population - shoes. It was made of leather or similar material and actually covered the entire foot. And - one wore - and here's also a word that might be unfamiliar - stockings on the feet. My question is - are shoes now to be considered an extinct species? Oh - yes - occasionally I do see a woman with what looks something like a "shoe" but it is actually something that has a long stick under the person's heel - it is about 6 inches in length and looks more like a weapon that part of a - you should pardon the expression - shoe.
Old Aug 21st, 2009, 07:23 AM

It took me a while, but I guess you are talking about flip flops.

I don't see quite as many in DC as you say you do in New York (City presumably?) but I don't understand why anyone would wear them all day (or to and from work). I wear mine to the pool and the beach.

Those really high heels are also something.
Old Aug 21st, 2009, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Yes - is it necessary for me to confess that I am aware that this foot device is known as a "flip-flop"? Besides a misuse of the foot it is a misuse of the term. The correct usage of "flip-flop" is political. It is used by one politician to accuse another politician who has made a wise decision to change his mind due to changing circumstances of doing a "flip-flop".
Old Aug 21st, 2009, 07:44 AM

Here in FL everyone wears them all the time, but I was surprised to see lots in DC, too, when I was there recently. I don't think people in DC used to wear flip-flops much, but I could be wrong. I see nothing wrong with them, actually--jroth, what is your objection?
Old Aug 21st, 2009, 07:49 AM

Yes, I do see that a lot in NY, but I have to tell you it is the best possible thing to wear if you are in the city and it is 100 degrees outside and humid as hell. I wear them at the pool and such places as well, but they are fully accepted as standard footwear at most places I go (and I get to go to all kinds of places).
It is nice to wear shoes, but flip flops are comfortable, cool and no one ever told me that they did not cound as shoes before.
Hope that helps.
Old Aug 21st, 2009, 07:55 AM

LOL it's in San Francisco too! And unlike New York we are not getting any snow, so we see those here all year around. For me, it's only beach footwear, or maybe for a sick person with temporary foot swelling like twisted ankle.

Anybody remembers the times when T-shirts were underwear?
Old Aug 21st, 2009, 08:01 AM

I'm in Seattle and wearing flip flops right now. At work. Without stockings.

(Gasp!!)
Old Aug 21st, 2009, 08:05 AM

I wear shoes and sandals!! I don't understand the comfort of flip flops in very humid weather if you have a lot of walking to do. They make my feet sweaty because they are rubber. I see tourists who walk a lot wearing them. And btw, you will see them on campuses - outdoors - even in the dead of winter!
Old Aug 21st, 2009, 08:55 AM

beanweb24 - me too! Extra gasp! It is casual Friday, though.

I wouldn't wear the cheap Old Navy versions anywhere besides the beach or somewhere very casual. The plastic hurts my feet and there's no support. Mine, however, are nice-looking Chacos with great arch support and I can wear them all day, and plan to take a nice little walk in them on my way to lunch in a bit. (Not all flip-flops are rubber - there are lots made with leather, suede or other materials.)
Old Aug 21st, 2009, 09:04 AM

The flip flops you refer to are an adaptation of the traditional leather thong summer sandal - which has been popular for at least 40 years.

I agree that it's gotten to the point where many women wear flip flops to work (not AT work) in place of the sneakers/running shoes they do most of the year. The idea is that walking long distances, running for a bus or charging up and down subway stairs is not best done in dress shoes - but in something flat and comfortable.

I won't wear flip flops in the street much - since your feet just get too dirty - but do admit to wearing "fit flops" all the time at home and on the beach (but not driving).
Old Aug 21st, 2009, 09:30 AM

Jroth, you must be old!
Generally, adapting to new trends is easier when you're young. Flip flops are like jeans; utilitarian, cheap, popular and functional for the most part.

In NYC the only problem I have with flip flops is the dirt.

I'm at home, barefoot as usual but I wear flip flops just about everywhere in the summer.
Old Aug 21st, 2009, 10:07 AM

Everyone in Hawaii wears slippahs (as flip flops ae called there)everywhere.
Old Aug 21st, 2009, 10:10 AM

<Jroth, you must be old!>

That can't be the reason sassy. I'm old and most of my shoes are thongs of one kind of another, and my other "shoes" are mostly slides (no heels) except for my Merrell's which are as close to sneakers as I will ever get. Abandoned heels long ago, but did wear them with hose for many years. I think I can attribute what few problems I have with my feet to that fact.

I too wonder why jroth speaks of comfortable foot wear with such disdain!
Old Aug 21st, 2009, 10:10 AM
yk

What's wrong with flip-flops? I wear them all the time in Boston and almost everybody on the street wears them.

I don't wear rubber flip-flops in public; unless when I go swimming or to the beach. I like the ones by Cole Haan with Nike Air soles. (I guess Cole Haan calls them "thongs".)
Old Aug 21st, 2009, 10:21 AM

Well, should we pull Miss Manners? LOL

Seriously, have you watched "What not to wear"? How many times had they proved you don't have to look sloppy to feel comfortable?
Old Aug 21st, 2009, 10:26 AM

Looove all my flip-flops, thongs, slippers (in Hawaii) or whatever you want to call them. I have all kinds - from rubber ones for the pool/beach, to "dressier" ones - more like slides that happen to have a piece between the toes.
Old Aug 21st, 2009, 10:36 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Well I for one do not believe that 98% of the women in NY only wear flip flops.

I also would not have figured out what the OP was even talking about because you don't "stick" your big toe into a "slot". That's not an accurate description. I was trying to picture some kind of new-fangles toe-ring type sandal that was all the rage.
Old Aug 21st, 2009, 10:47 AM

I think the OP is joking around. Unless he is a foreigner (which I doubt), I have trouble believing he/she didn't know what flip flops are
Old Aug 21st, 2009, 11:03 AM

vjpb: I did take the the post as being tongue-in-cheek - rather amusing, as my mom mentions this quite often when I show up wearing some sort of flip-flop.
Old Aug 21st, 2009, 11:14 AM

Maybe the OP meant flips like this, where you stick your toe in the loop?

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/55658977/c/1141.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -