Search

flying to Florida

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28th, 2004, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
flying to Florida

Hello again,

In my quest for a vacation I have come up with another question - what would be an alternative international airport to Ft. Myers - trying to get to Gulf Coast and thinking of Sarasota area - Orlando? Or Bonita Beach - Ft. Lauderdale? Miami? We are planning on renting a vehicle and driving...does anyone know timelines?
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 10:55 AM

Ft. Lauderdale and Miami are on the east coast. I think Tampa and/or St Petersburg would be an alternate to Ft. Myers. Here's Fla map with airports

http://www.dot.state.fl.us/aviation/...alairports.htm
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 11:49 AM

I think Miami might be better than Tampa--go across Alligagor Alley to Naples and then up.
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 12:14 PM

Tampa might be the best airport option. While St. Petersburg has an airport, I think only a handful of airlines use it.

If you are staying closer to Sarasota, than Tampa is about 50 miles away.

If you're actually staying closer to Ft. Meyers and Naples, than it is about equal distance driving from Tampa or Miami. Believe its about 140 or so miles from either.

I've driven from Tampa to Naples and from Miami to Naples. Not sure I'd say one is better than the other. The former offers more opportunities for beverage/food stops. The latter is interesting if only to say you've driven across the Everglades.

Haven't made either drive in a few years, however.
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 12:19 PM

I live in Naples and more and more use Ft. Lauderdale rather than Ft. Myers as my own airport. I can get there in well under 2 hours -- door to door. From South Ft. Myers to Ft. Lauderdale, it's pretty much the same.
Tampa is a further and longer drive, but not by much, but certainly the best option if staying in the Sarasota area rather than Ft. Myers/Bonita/Naples area. Miami airport is a zoo and I avoid it if possible.
Old Dec 29th, 2004, 07:44 AM

Patrick is right.... select Ft Lauderdale airport instead of Miami. Much easier to get in/out and around. Besides, if you decide to head to the west coast of Fla, it's a straight shot from FLL airport to Naples via I-595/I-75. Not a bad drive, either.

Once you decide which coast you will be visiting, let us know and we'll be happy to help with hotels, restaurants, driving times, etc.

Just a note: From Ft Lauderdale the driving time to Naples is approx 2 hours and the driving time to the Upper Keys is about 3 hours.