Best surrounding airport for Ft Myers traffic-wise

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7th, 2005, 04:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've just read some posts about the traffic issues along the west coast of Florida. We're flying into Ft. Myers for 3 days but then have some flexibility as to whether we head to Tampa, Orlando or Ft. Lauderdale/Miami for the latter part of our trip. Given the west coast traffic, would we make better time traveling to the east coast (Lauderdale) and flying home from there after spending a day or two? We were leaning toward Tampa - - which appears to be about the same distance from Ft. Myers as Lauderdale - - but I am now concerned that what seems to be a 2.5 hour trip - could actually be much longer. Since we're traveling with a 2 year old, the time spent in the car is an issue. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 06:02 AM

You don't say when you're flying, which is the big issue. The snowbirds trickle in during Nov. & Dec. but arrive in a huge squaking mass in January. The traffic problems reach a height then. As for I-75, the road from Tampa to Naples, the big problem begins in Ft. Myers. Two years ago in January I went to Naples and was flying along until I got to Ft. Myers and it began to crawl. It will also crawl oftentimes along I-4 near Disney, for the obvious reasons.

I drove last December from Tampa to Miami by way of I-75 to Naples then Alligator Alley east. Traffic was fine all along the way. But if you're traveling after December, I'd anticipate slower traffic everywhere, and in the Naples/Ft. Myers area for sure.
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

We are traveling in mid-November (11/16). In checking today, the best rates are flying RT into Tampa. Is the commute from TPA to Fort Myers a bad idea? On paper, appears to be about 150 miles. Thanks.
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 12:39 PM

Nope. Not bad at all. Except for Thanksgiving traffic it should be no problem. Of course there are always exceptions. Last Wednesday while landing at Ft. Myers from Chicago, I looked out the window of the plane to see I-75 was closed southbound. It took us over two hours to get to Naples thanks to an overturned tanker on the highway. But those things happen.
Depending on where you end up, Tampa or Ft. Lauderdale airports would be pretty equal, all things considered. I'd go for the price or the connections.
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 12:49 PM

Agree with Patrick. You won't have traffic problems, except for the usual ones, at this time. The drive is not bad at all, interstate all the way.
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice - - we wound up booking into Tampa - - arriving in the early evening so traffic should be OK. Any travel tips re: the route from Tampa to Ft. Myers? Or - things to do along the way? We will likly be ready for some dinner when we land so we're open to suggestions as to a place between TPA and Ft. Myers should there be a "must" along the way. We'll have our 2 year old with us so fine dining is out.... Thanks again.