Search

flying on July 4th

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 02:02 PM
graham

flying on July 4th

I can't help feeling very uneasy about starting my holiday on July 4th. The thing is I feel a little stupid voicing my fears to the rest of the family. Do you think there is any possibility of another terrorist outrage then. I know there have been warnings. Seeking a little reassurance here! Anyone else out there flying on the 4th?

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 02:05 PM
Dave

Of course there is a chance, Graham. Maybe even a better-than-normal chance since it is American Independence Day. However, no one on fodors.com knows any more than you do!

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 02:08 PM
Chuck

You're really a woman aren't you? Men have gonads and would never air a concern like this on a travel board. We suck it up and deal with the realities life presents.

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 02:19 PM
Dick

Look at it this way, Graham - your chances of not getting where you're going will probably increase from one in several million to 2 in several million. Not exactly the sort of thing to get too wound up about. The most dangerous part of the trip is still going to be the drive to the airport.

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 02:26 PM
graham

Maybe I just needed to voice my fears. I don't really understand why I'm like this, its not usual for me. I just feel so uneasy. And yes, I am a man. Perhaps if I wasn't I could more easily admit my fears out loud! Doesn't anyone else have fears?

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 02:56 PM
Anon

Absolutely - anyone who says otherwise is lying. The previous posters are trying very hard to appear aloof and extremely macho. Sad.

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 03:01 PM
nobozo

Thanks for your reply Chuck. You are so "macho" and helpful. Did you ever consider the name Graham would be a male? P.S. Graham, I'm flying on the 4th too, I'm a little scared but if I go it will at least be doing something that makes me happy!

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 03:57 PM
XXXXX

If it is to the point that it is making you lose sleep, I'd see if you can't change your date to the 3rd or the 5th. Just keep in mind that the pilots and the flight crew want to be safe also!

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 04:00 PM
Anon

XXXX

How come when you posted that last message, Fodors didn't say "invalid email address" and make you change it?? How did you get away with that?

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 04:08 PM
Chuck

Well hey, nobozo, if going to Branson makes you happy, who's to quibble?

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 05:00 PM
nobozo

huh?

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 09:06 PM
also

Graham. I sympathize. I haven't been worried. My husband flies all the time for work, and I've taken two flights since September. But now, my husband and I have a chance to go to Scandanavia in September (He must go for work) and I was getting all excited, until I thought about leaving the kids (teens)mwith a sitter. What if something should happen and we're not together? I was surprised to realize this new concern. But, I'm not going to let it stop us, as I think this is something we may be living with for the rest of our lives. We just have to weigh the relative risk. Realistically, the odds are way in our favor! So, we're off to Scandanavia, if we can arrange everything.

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 11:29 PM
graham

thanks to everyone who took the trouble to reply to my post.To "also" - I hope that everything goes well with the job.

Old Jun 30th, 2002, 03:58 AM
Mom

I don't think with my gonads, but I am Mommishly very worried about my son, who will be flying into NYC on the 4th and about my niece, who lives in Manhattan.

The warnings don't specify an area of the country and perhaps the terrorists will turn their attention away from NYC, but I'm still anxious. Can't tell him not to fly (he's 22), but wish he wouldn't.

His father (who has male gonads) is also worried.

Old Jun 30th, 2002, 03:59 AM
whynot

fodors doesn't know a valid from invalid email address, they just check to make sure there is an "@" sign in it and a dot something

Old Jun 30th, 2002, 04:45 AM
Internet

Actually, the Fodors site will reject an "e-mail address" that doesn't have the correct formatting in terms of number of characters in the ".com" part or numbers. For instance, it will let you put "[email protected]" or "[email protected]" but not "[email protected]" because the last 4 "x"s are too long...all "endings" are 3 (.com, .net) or 2 (.ca, .mx, .us) characters.

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 02:25 PM
David

I'm glad some else feels the same! Maybe the people with guts are the ones who admit to their fears and change their plans. I have not been able to although I will be glad when the flight is over!