Pesty insects in Tadoussac

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How are mosquitos, flies, gnats, etc. in the Tadoussac area? We are thinking of going there for two nights in July to whale watch. We are planing to stay in a chalet at the Domaine des Dunes and I know these are near woods and the sand dunes. Just wondering if there are any pesty insects there?!
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 05:05 AM

I was in Tadoussac in July and don't recall anythng exceptional in pesty insects! Any good bug spray should keep you comfortable unless you're especially allergic?
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Great. No, we aren't allergic. I just wondered if there were a lot of mosquitoes. I live south of Houston, TX and we have a LOT (!!) of mosquitoes in the summer so I was hoping for a change!
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 07:22 AM

I'm sure there ARE pesty insects, resilient creatures that they be...but I too went to Tadoussac albeit in cooler June, and don't recollect noticing an unusual abundance of insects either. If anything, the insect population was on the low side as far as destinations are concerned...
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

That's wonderful! Makes it all that much more fun to be outside watching whales and enjoying our vacation! Thank you both for your responses.
Old Mar 19th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Original Poster

Daniel- I noticed on other topics that you like to ride bikes and that you live in Montreal in the Plateau area. I plan to stay in Montreal with my two children (boy-16 and girl-20) for 4 nights in July at a B & B in the Plateau area. It is called BOULANGER BASSIN B&B at 4293 de Brébeuf Street. Do you know of it? It sounds like a nice location and the owner has been very helpful in answering my questions about Montreal. We are debating bringing my son's BMX bike up there because he loves to ride it everywhere- more doing tricks then distance riding though. I am considering renting bikes while we are there to ride around...it seems like it might be easier at times to ride bikes to get to and from locations. Also, I was wondering if you have any recommendations for places to eat in the Plateau area- good, reasonably priced restaurants. We enjoy foods of all sorts. Thanks! Kathy
Old Mar 19th, 2009, 06:31 PM

Haha 4293 de Brebeuf is unbelievably close to where i live!!!! I've never seen that B&B, but then again, I probably wasn't looking.

You're right near Boulangerie M. Pinchot at the corner of Brebeuf and Marie Anne; I recommend you pick up breads, pastries, cheese for a picnic from there, locally-run place, literally 2 minutes walk from your door. Parc Lafontaine is nearby, just fun for sitting and people-watching...sometimes random talented musicians are just playing at random benches. Theatre de la Verdure is an amphitheater in the Parc which has dance shows, classical music...for free. A great experience, check the schedule on the door of the amphitheater or the Internet.

Couscous Kamela is cosy and reasonably priced, about 2 minutes from your B&B, on Marie-Anne. Very-charming ambience, Algerian food. I recommend.
There is a bike path ON Brebeuf and also ON rue Rachel near you. Take Rue Rachel by all means to the mountain by bike; as long as you don't go on a weekend when the mountain can get crowded with pedestrians, assuming you are in good shape (it's a climb), you will enjoy the ride, with Beaver Lake and the Chalet as rewards should you reach the top.

You could also take the Brebeuf path (part of the "Route Verte" cycling system that extends as far as Sherbrooke in the Eastern Townships) north to the north end of Montreal island (takes about 45 minutes by bike; there are a few unaesthetic areas you pass through but it's worth it), turn right on Gouin Blvd. and you'll soon have lovely Parc des Iles de la Visitation on your left. I recommend.

Going down Brebeuf by bike, following the bike path along the western end of Parc Lafontaine, you will eventually turn right on rue Cherrier and then left on rue Berri. This path takes you down to Old Montreal and the paths from there go along the Lachine Canal to Old Lachine and there's a bike path as well to Parc Jean Drapeau.

Be careful cycling in the city; even with paths, cars and pedestrians forget that you're there. Occasionally other cyclists can bike recklessly, so it's important to bike defensively, paying full attention. And you're lucky you're on Brebeuf, since on the corner of Brebeuf and Rachel, there's a "Halte Cycliste", a cafe/bookstore with detailed folding maps of bike routes (not only in Montreal, but other parts of North America)that you might find useful.

Hope you enjoy yourself here! Daniel
Old Mar 19th, 2009, 07:00 PM
Original Poster

Great! Thanks for all the information. We can't wait until we come to Montreal. We also are going to Quebec City and then Tadoussac. I see while we are in Montreal these festivals will be going on: Jazz, Just for Laughs, and Fireworks. We will go to the fireworks because we will tie that into going to the amusement park. Are there plenty of outdoor places to hear the jazz music? Any comedy outdoors or is it only indoors? I would love to hear an organ concert at one of the churches. Have you ever been to one? I seem to remember reading that you teach? Am I right? I teach kindergarten in TX. Thanks again for your help! Kathy