Search

Is June actually hotter than July?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2012, 04:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is June actually hotter than July?

Hi,

The reason why I am asking this is based on my experience.

In 2007, I did a Paris-Venice trip. I spent the last week of June in Paris and the first week of July in Venice. The week in Paris was scorching hot, while the week in Venice was pleasently warm.

In 2008, I did a Campania-Sicily trip. The same situation happened. That very last week of June in Naples and Amalfi was Hell, while the first week of July in Sicily was OK. Even the B&B owner in Naples told that I should've waited until July to visit the area while the weather adjusted.

I traveled to Madrid last year during the first week of July. I thought the weather was OK, although I talked to a few people that said that June had actually been intolerably hot.

I am traveling to Lecce-Ischia-Rome this month, and now I am fearing the same. I'll spend the last two weeks of June in Lecce-Ischia, and the first days of July in Rome.

Only 2010, seemed to be the opposite. I visited Lisbon-Trieste, and Trieste was warmer in July than Lisbon in June. However, I'd read that Lisbon usually enjoys nice weather because of its geographical position.

I often read how June is less warm than July, but, in my experience, it has been the opposite. Has it been a coincidence?

Thanks,

Daniel
Old Jun 6th, 2012, 04:35 AM

The owners of the place I stay in Tuscany told me that June is usually hotter than July. They said it is also usually more humid in June than in July.

This spring in Tuscany (I don't know about the rest of Italy)has been cooler than usual this year, so perhaps it won't be too bad for your trip. I hope you have a wonderful trip!
Old Jun 6th, 2012, 07:27 AM

If you looked at the average temperatures of all the places you visited then it will more than likely show July being warmer than June

However as you well know the average doesn't necessarily mean the temperature is going to be like that in any given year.

June could well be hotter than July for several years in a row and then it could revert back to July being hotter. There's no telling what the temperature will be like in any month, week or day.

All you can do is get a rough estimate from the average and decide from there when you want to visit
Old Jun 6th, 2012, 07:40 AM

Not necessarily so much a coincidence as insufficient data for comparison?

Here's how the records for Naples look... 12 year and 3 year monthly averages for Average, Max and Min temperatures:

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/imag...48844/original

And, overall at least, July's the warmer in every instance, with August higher still...

But perhaps we're less accustomed to the heat in June - and feel it more?

Peter
Old Jun 6th, 2012, 07:43 AM

It isn't my experience in Puglia. June 'can' be very hot, but July it's virtually guaranteed. July seems consistently hottest and driest of all the months in the 7 odd years I've been going there.

August, in contrast, can be somewhat changeable and more prone to storms.
Old Jun 6th, 2012, 12:59 PM

A wise person once said "The plural of anecdote is not data." July averages out hotter than June. There will be exceptions.

Happy travels.
Old Jun 6th, 2012, 01:49 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
June 2003 in Italy was miserable (anyone remember the big European heatwave?).

I froze in Paris in July one summer (about 10-12 years ago). My sister said she wished she had brought her fleece gloves. We landed in Amsterdam on July 10 with a high of 48F. Lows were in the 30's.
Old Jun 7th, 2012, 04:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your input. I mean, I am not going to change my trip dates because of this, but I was starting to worry about it.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to it. I've never been to Salento or Ischia.

Thanks again,

Daniel
Old Jun 8th, 2012, 01:48 AM

For your time here, you'll perhaps enjoy reading this month's edition of the island magazine - available now, using...

http://www.ischianews.com/images/pho...giugno-web.pdf

Peter
Old Jun 8th, 2012, 03:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Peter. I have been going through your pbase.com link about Ischia a couple of days ago and it was definitely more informative than my guidebook. I'll check out the link.

Daniel
Old Jun 8th, 2012, 03:39 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
We are chilled to the bone in Paris this week. There is no logic to Western European weather.