Gluten free in London

Jun 7th, 2012, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Gluten free in London

I searched the archives and found a thread from April 2008 so I'm hoping for more current information.

We're heading to London for two weeks this Christmas -- two adults, 17yo boy and 7yo girl with celiac disease. I've love suggestions of reliable gluten-free restaurants, particularly those that might be more child-friendly in their food selectons, as well as which grocery stores might be better than others. We haven't reserved lodging yet but will likely rent an apartment; this is what we usually do for longer vacations. From what I've read, Zone 1 is the best location for sightseeing and general walk-ability so this is where we'll focus our apartment (and therefore restaurant and grocery store) search ... unless you all tell me differently. This is our first family trip to London; I was there for about a week on a business trip eight years ago and saw very little of the city. Thanks so much!!

Lesley
Jun 7th, 2012, 03:28 PM

Fortunately I can eat pretty much anything so this is not really an area I have much experience of. But one small restaurant chain where I have eaten has notes on its menu about its gluten-free dishes - its called Leon and it has about 10 or so restaurants in and around central London. www.leonrestaurants.co.uk.
Jun 7th, 2012, 04:32 PM

Mildred's was a hit with my gluten-free by necessity/vegan by choice daughter. And I liked it a lot too; dad not so much but he does like his meat!
http://www.mildreds.co.uk/
Jun 7th, 2012, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! Leon looks like kid paradise!
Jun 8th, 2012, 04:56 AM

This is quite an interesting blog, but may not be terribly helpful unless you're familiar with the city:
http://www.glutenfreefoodie.co.uk/

You could try the Wagamama chain, they're pretty good.

To be honest, you could probably find quite a lot by googling, and most places are up to speed on gluten intolerance these days.
Jun 8th, 2012, 05:44 AM

Here is another site to check out:
http://www.urbanspoon.com/t/52/1/Lon...ly-restaurants

I would get a map of London and plot these place out so you always have a reference with you. It will give you an idea of the city as well.

Definitely stay in zone 1!