Ocracoke - Three Questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 02:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We (and our dog) are planning to go during the first two weeks of July but have the option of going the first two weeks of June. We picked July because we can only go in the summer and we didn't want to go at the beginning of summer. We are from Pennsylvania.

When would you go?

What is the weather like in July? Is it unbearably hot? Too hot to enjoy a dinner outside? Opinions wanted here.

Secondly, have heard that Ocracoke is "famous for mosquitos". Is this really a big deal or will the bug spray deal with it?

Many thanks in advance. The both of us haven't been to the beach in years...
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 04:31 PM

July will definetely be HOT, June maybe a little less (but don't count on it). Yes, there are 'skeeters, but a good dose of repellent will help. So do screened porches. Enjoy!
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 06:12 PM

We're always down at North Topsail in June and July (from WI). Hard to say if there's much difference between the two months. Most mornings and evenings are tolerable because of the shore breezes. I find mid-day too hot, but I'm not a fan of basting in the hot sun, so usually spend that time indoors. Probably the ocean temps are a bit different. Water usually is still refreshing in June, can be somewhat tepid in July.

One factor to consider - June should be before hurricane season. July can have island evacuations because of early hurricanes. (It's a little harder to get on and off Ocracoke because of the need to use the ferry.) Hurricanes in July aren't as frequent as Sept, but if this is your only vacation time you might want to factor this into your plans.
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 05:00 AM

In our previous OBX experiences the mosquitoes tend to be much worse if there has been a very wet Spring. Some years we have had little or none and then others they have been thick (this was in Hatteras Village which is close to Ocracoke. Bug spray helps but not having them in swarms is better.

Don't let anyone tell you that July won't be humid if not hot and please do not go down there thinking that air conditioning won't be helpful because it will be.

Either month would be fine although it will be hotter in July.
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 05:11 AM
Original Poster

Everyone: thanks for the info.
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 06:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd go in the first half of June.

My favorite time to visit the OBX is late May/early June and September. The temps are warm but typically the stifling humidity has not arrived.

Ocracoke isn't as populated as the rest of the OBX but it will more crowded the second half of June when school is out. July is high season.

You'll notice the mosquitoes more when there is no breeze or when the breeze is from the east. An eastern wind will also bring biting flies. They are impervious to insecticide. Seek alternate entertainment! I agree that wet springs can make the mosquito population worse but they are definitely indigenous residents.

Hurricane "season" runs from June through November. Hurricanes are less prevalent in June and July because the Gulf Stream has not warmed the ocean as much as in Aug/Sept.

Whenever you go, have a great time. It's a beautiful place!
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 03:09 PM

Hi Obx,

Agreed about hurricane season. And last year was one of the earliest hurricanes..

On a practical side, in 15 years we've never had to evacuate our island in June, but have had to leave in July. Hurricane Bertha hit right around the July 4th weekend.

But couldn't agree more that the weather is like the stock market...Past performance doesn't guarantee future returns
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

Is it going to be a problem picking few nights to go out to eat or have a few beers due to the July crowds?

Our plan is to hang on the beach, pick a few nights out, and hit the fish market for home cookin' (I believe there was one in Hatteras).

The thing about Ocracoke is that I know there are only a few places and the population swells to 7,000+ during the summer.

I dunno. Maybe we will switch to early June. Can we be sure it will be warm enough?
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 06:02 AM

I would also go in June...we visited Ocracoke once--in June--and it was very hot the first few days, and then rainy--but it's a beautiful place--my favorite part of OBX! Also, I heard it wasn't as crowded in June--we went before schools got out.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 06:35 PM

It is pretty much the same in late June and July for population - most come over for the day and by evening it's quiet again. Even during the day isn't bad.
I've been going since the late 60's, missed a few summers.... June, July, August and September - never evacuated.

the heat isn't that bad when there is a breeze.

Skeeters IMHO are not as bad as the rest of the OTB.

Eating out is not a problem, a few places like the Back Porch and the Atlantic would be good to have reservations. but nowhere else really. You may have to wait a little but what the heck! what else do you have to do but relax!

My daughter works at Howards and the book store, been there 2+ years and never had to evacuate - her car got flooded once....

So looking forward to being there in mid June!
You will enjoy it no matter when you go. so relaxing.
Old May 25th, 2006, 07:14 PM
Original Poster

Appreciate the comments wnab1q. My father saw a bit about Ocracoke on the Travel Channel and said it looked marvelous. We are really looking forward to some relaxing, slow down time. One more month!!! Enjoy your trip this year.
Old May 25th, 2006, 09:06 PM

June would be better of the two as many children are still in school. Be prepared for the crowds any time in the summer. There is not much shade there so it does get hot. Okracoke is our preference on the Outer Banks. Late September or early October is our favorite time to be there so don't know about mosquitos as we have never been bothered with them at that time of year.
Old May 25th, 2006, 11:49 PM

My husband and I went to a wedding on Ocracoke years ago in July. It was our first "destination wedding," before I'd ever heard the term. I remember, at the time, thinking what an imposition it was that we were asked to drive so far, take a car ferry, get a hotel, etc., but we had a really wonderful time. I don't recall mosquitoes being a big problem, and I'm a mosquito magnet. If mosquitoes are your problem, Deet is your answer. In the Caribbean, I used repellent with 95% Deet, which worked very well, although I'd not recommend it for health reasons . Mostly, I use the spray-on Off with 25% Deet.

Further, the weather will be hot but isn't that when you go to the beach?
Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 08:42 AM

Plinko, when have you decided to take your trip? maybe you're there as I type!

I'm looking forward to your thoughts when you get home! I love Ocracoke and the few years we didn't get there I have really miss it.

We were in the Alps 2 yrs ago and loved it there but both commented we were going to miss Ocracoke. We are so blessed to be able to do both this year.

Where are you staying?
I just love it when new people get to experience the place that holds my heart.

OH! you must go to the Deepwater Theater. Molasses Creek plays Wednesday nights and joined with others on Thursday nights - Ocrafolk Opry. More fun than you want to miss! (check days for 2006)