Flying into BWI----where to stay???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a trip to DC area and will be flying into Baltimore airport (BWI)--I usually fly into Dulles and stay with family, but they don't live there anymore! I need advice on where to stay and how to get there. Should I rent a car and drive? or take the airport shuttle bus to the Greenbelt metro station and take the train to a hotel closer to DC?? or stay somewhere closer to the airport and commute via metro everyday? I'm not even sure what is near the BWI airport??!
Any advice is appreciated!
Thanks!
Linda
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 04:21 AM

Should I rent a car and drive? NO - IT'S NOT WORTH RENTING A CAR FOR ONE DAY JUST FOR A 45 MINUTE DRIVE... or take the airport shuttle bus to the Greenbelt metro station and take the train to a hotel closer to DC?? BETTER TO TAKE THE B30 EXPRESS BUS FROM THE AIRPORT TO GREENBELT STATION... or stay somewhere closer to the airport and commute via metro everyday? NO! NO! NO! YOU WILL BE STUCK IN CRUSHING COMMEUTER TRAFFIC TWICE EACH DAY - THIS CHOICE WOULD BE AN ABSOLUTE NIGHTMARE! I'm not even sure what is near the BWI airport??! NOTHING OF INTEREST.

Any advice is appreciated!
TAKE THE B30 AND THE METRO FROM GREENBELT IF BUDGET IS SUPER TIGHT. OTHERWISE, THE BEST CHOICE WOULD BE A TAXI (about $50 and well worth it for convenience) INTO DOWNTOWN DC.

Look at the hotels (shown as red squares) in these maps of Metro stations (and CALL them!):

http://www.stationmasters.com/System.../gallrypl.html

http://www.stationmasters.com/System.../metrocen.html

http://www.stationmasters.com/System.../dupontci.html
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 04:36 AM

The DC "area" covers a lot of ground. Do you actually want to be in DC? If not there are other options. Are you traveling alone? If so, follow bardo1's advice. If three or more people, a rental car will cost less
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 04:37 AM

Please disregard part about rental car costing less - did not mean to send that message.
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 04:37 AM

I agree: Staying out by the airport makes no sense at all, and renting a car would cost as much as taking a taxi, and would be far more hassle.

So take the B30 and the Metro if you're on a budget, otherwise a taxi. Note: The B30 is a $3 express bus with a 30-minute trip, it's not usually referred to as a shuttle.
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 05:37 AM
Jed

How many days will you be in DC? Where do you have to be in DC? If a few days, then I would suggest staying near where you have to be, rather than travel every day. Would you tell us a little more of your plans?
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

WE will be in the area for 3-4 days. We want to see the sights in DC. I have been there several times, but my husband has never been. I am familiar with the metro system and plan on using it to get around if we can. I would prefer to stay somewhere where we can pay under $200 for a room.
Thanks!
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 08:53 AM

Most hotels are over $200, but there are some options withinn your budget. I would call:

Jury's Washington
http://www.jurys.com/usa/washington_hotel.htm

Tabard Inn
http://www.tabardinn.com/

Red Roof Inn Chinatown (500 H St. NW)
http://www.redroof.com/reservations/...?innNumber=254
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 09:14 AM

One other option can be to take a shuttle over to the BWI Amtrak station and catch a train into Penn Station. How often they run depends on the time of day.
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 09:31 AM

Make that Union Station. On weekdays the MARC commuter trains are cheap and pretty convenient, on weekends and evenings, there's only the less frequent and costlier Amtrak trains.
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 10:46 AM

Thanks repete - of course you are right.
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 11:21 AM

MARC commuter trains only run during morning and evening rush. As for where to stay, in DC if you can find a room in your price range--you can walk lots of places. Otherwise, if you don't mind a 15-30 metro ride each way, you can look at Bethesda, Silver Spring, Pentagon/Crystal City, Rosslyn. Any farther out on the metro is a longer ride. Just make sure the out of DC hotel is near the metro--you don't want to have to walk blocks to get to the station.
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 11:40 AM

That is true for the MARC trains but they have Amtrak going through there too. Altogether there are 23 trains leaving BWI for Union Station between 5AM and 9:45 PM weekdays.
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 01:32 PM
Jed

Have you tried Priceline? If not, you are missing out on a great opportunity to get a good hotel wherever you want in DC for much less than $200. And no traveling everyday back and forth!