airport transport ? DC

Mar 8th, 2006, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

airport transport ? DC

Hello again,

I have one more question to make sure I have this right. Sorry to beat the proverbial dead horse!

If we fly into BWI, we can take a shuttle to the MARC station (weekday). From there we can take the MARC to New Carrolton, where we can switch to the orange line to get to our Capitol South stop. I feel like I should be looking for Steve Martin or John Candy at this point!

I'm seeing some decent fares to National and may just grab that, it looks like we can just take the blue line all the way to our stop.

Thanks much.
Mar 8th, 2006, 06:20 AM

Fly into National if you can. As you can see it's an easy ride on the metro or a pretty inexpensive cab ride into DC.
Mar 8th, 2006, 06:43 AM

I've flown into BWI several times becuase it's far cheaper than Natoinal for me. But I have never taken the MARC transit for the very reason you describe.

Instead, I catch the B-30 express bus, which stops right outside the BWI terminal; no extra shuttle is needed. This bus runs every 40 minutes, 7 days per week, and for $3.00 will take you to the Greenbelt Metro station. You will still have to transfer from one Metro line (Green) to another (blue or orange) to get to the Capitol South stop, but transfers on the Metro are very simple, usually just a matter of taking an escalator up or down.
Mar 8th, 2006, 08:24 AM

A good rule of thumb:

If you can fly into Reagan National for less than $100 more than the cost of BWI or IAD, then fly into National. It's so worth it.

The two hours of extra time in DC alone is worth it, IMO. Not to mention any cost savings and the simplicity of having a Metro stop right at the airport.
Mar 8th, 2006, 09:43 AM

An even better rule of thumb: if you can fly into an airport and not have to catch a shuttle bus to another shuttle train to another change of platforms and all the waiting and walking and hauling bags, etc., that that implies, then do it because time is money, too.
Mar 8th, 2006, 10:33 AM

Bardo is completely correct. I'd say it's even higher than $100 when you actually live here, but $100 as a tourist makes sense.
Mar 8th, 2006, 01:17 PM

To answer the O.p.'s question:

I remember that your Mom has some problems walking. The New Carrollton MARC and Metro stations are two separate, but linked buildings, if I remember correctly. You'll go down to street level, move to a different building, then go up again ... escalators & elevators. I've done it, but I'd rather take MARC al the way to Union Station then take Metro from there .. or a taxi to your hotel.

http://www.stationmasters.com/System.../newcarro.html

What you are gaining is that since New Carrollton is where the Orange Line originates, you should have no problem finding a place for yourselves & your luggage, unless it's 8am.

Yes, you can take a Blue line from DCA to your hotel, or take a Yellow to L'Enfant Plaza and transfer to Blue or Orange: probably a little quicker, but not by much.
Mar 8th, 2006, 06:22 PM

We opted for a taxi from National and it really was quite reasonable. With luggage and all I think it was well worth it.
Mar 8th, 2006, 08:00 PM

I'm with bardo and the others that say unless there is a big cost difference, fly into National (yeah, I know they call it Reagan now but it will always be National to me). It is one of the easiest airports in the country to get into and out of. Taxis from there are easy to get and fairly inexpensive. I have done the arrive BWI hop on MARC and it is a major PITA compared to arriving DCA.
Mar 10th, 2006, 06:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies. I grabbed a fare of $108 (including all fees) RT to BWI from Boston on AirTran. So we're going to try the B-30/metro going in and, since the fare was so cheap, take a cab going back depending on how we're running for time.

There was an amazing fare of $150 on AA I think for this weekend to DCA, Sat. to Tues, but the Supreme Court is not hearing cases then...

I'll report when we get back how it went! Thanks again!
Mar 22nd, 2006, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

Here is an update on what we (my mom and I) ended up doing. Coming in we took the shuttle from BWI to the MARC train to New Carrolton where we switched to the Orange Line to get to our stop. It was awkward with our bags (and we only had one each). I am glad we didn't go to Union Station and walk as with the bags it would have seemed a long walk to the hotel (Capitol Hill Suites).

On the return trip we opted to take the Metro and switch to green line to the Greenbelt stop. From there we took the B-30 bus right the airport. We both agreed this was much easier and would opt for this route next time coming in and returning (unless we get a good price to DCA)!. We were not riding during rush hour.

The trip itself was just so much fun and so meaningful for my mother as she's been a Supreme Court "hawk" just about all of her life. Capitol Hill Suites was perfectly located for us in a beautiful historic neighborhood (thanks Bardo!). Mom did fantastic with all the walking we did, better than me I thought at some points!

I'll be reporting in more detail on other parts of the trip later, just wanted to update on the transportation part. Thanks for the help.
Mar 22nd, 2006, 08:16 AM

Thank you for the update. Aren't you glad you didn't pay for a taxi? Can't wait to hear the "rest of the story".
Mar 22nd, 2006, 10:20 AM

Even though I live in the DC area I was interested in your report. Since the demise of Independence Air (sob) I now have to take Southwest from Baltimore for cheap fares to Albany NY.

Last time I did the MARC train from Union station. It was fairly easy but a lot of changing and waiting. My husband did not think I should take the green line to Greenbelt to get that B30 bus.

Did you find that it was mostly commuters or a lot of people going to get that bus to get to BWI? It does sound quicker and easier. I would be traveling during the end of rush hour both ways when I go again next week.

Thanks
Mar 22nd, 2006, 12:14 PM

Barb65 (I am in Rotterdam 355.3593) - The bus is primarily people on their way to a flight. The bus is fixed up for travelers - a luggage rack where a few rows of seats once were - and the seats are upholstered instead of the standard blue plastic.

Only once have I found a bus filled, and it was exactly filled - from BWI to Greenbelt. I always get there a little early (by extra 40 minutes) as I have nightmares of finding no seats on the bus. You seem to be a frequent visitor - do you use Smarttrip? I love it.
Mar 22nd, 2006, 12:17 PM

Duh! Can't read. Of course you live IN DC & visit Albany .. the opposite of what I was reading. I have aiaxilsyd.
Mar 22nd, 2006, 01:09 PM

rb_ Thanks for the tip on getting to the bus early. I do not use the smartrip card. I actually thought it was mostly for parking. I don't think my local MD bus line uses it yet but I will check on that.

My main concern was taking the green line on Metro.

I will be up your way next week - hope winter is gone by then!
Mar 22nd, 2006, 01:19 PM

"My main concern was taking the green line on Metro."

It's not any less safe than any other line.
Mar 22nd, 2006, 01:30 PM

Thanks
Mar 22nd, 2006, 05:07 PM
Original Poster

Hi Barb,

There was hardly anyone on the Metro by the time we got to the end of the line at Greenbelt. So hard to tell. It was just so much easier to be dropped "at the door" instead of dealing with the shuttle (thanks Anon for your feedback on that) and worrying about timing. The MARC train was very crowded (first 2 cars completely full), lots of people with lots of luggage probably from the Amtrak train? Made for very awkward moving about.

rb_travelerx, yes I am very glad we didn't spend the $ on a taxi! Switching trains on the Metro was so easy and not a pain at all. Great signage and I loved that you can see when the next train is coming!