Florida Keys with toddlers-worth it?

Old Dec 1st, 2003, 08:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Florida Keys with toddlers-worth it?

Help! Entire family wants to vacation in the Keys this March. 9 adults, 4 kids (4 yrs, 3yrs, 18 mos and 4 mos) We've never been to the Keys before. Any recommendations? Would like a rental unit near a beach with a good pool. If price/availabiltiy is right, possibly a hotel. What beaches are best for kids to play on? We're use to Sanibel Island. But we'd like to try something different this year. Already heard about the different dolphin encounters. The Dolphin Research Center sounds the best so far. We will also probably golf, deep sea fishing, etc. All info welcome!!! Also, anybody know of any babysitting services through any hotels? Hard to find because of the kids' ages. Still possibly going to Sanibel, but heard the Keys are great. Thanks for the input.
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 03:35 AM

I would check some of the Timeshare rental websites if you are going for a week.

The Islander in Islamorada has a beach and kitchen units.

Golf is not big in the Keys-Cheeka Lodge in Islamorada and Key Colony Beach in Marathon are the ones I remember (9 holes, I think).

Babysitting is not in my realm of knowlege, as I'm now doing it instead of needing it.

Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 05:13 AM

I would ask you to please reconsider the dolphin swim. They are incredibly cruel. I did it once and was sorry ever since. No matter how clean or nice it looks, more than half of the dolphins die within 60 to 90 days of capture.
In order to make an informed decision, please visit:

http://dolphinproject.org/

http://www.hsus.org/ace/11727

(The second site is the Humane Society of the United States' position on SWTD programs.)
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 07:23 AM

Hi,

From what I've observed after staying here twice, Hawks Cay Resort on Duck Key is ideal for families with kids. There are play areas and pools especially for toddlers and the whole resort is very family friendly. There is no real "beach" here, but there is a lagoon and there is a good dolphin program that both my son and i have enjoyed both times we've stayed here: one is for children and keeps them on the dock and out of the water, but still interacting with these beautiful mammals. check out the website: hawkscay.com to look at the variety of accomodations. there are several restaurants on the premises and a nice new spa as well.
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 10:20 AM

We'll be traveling to Key West in August w/our 18 month old. The only change for us is we'll be staying in a cottage w/a kitchen so we don't have to eat out al the time. If you are looking for beaches, Key West is not the best. I have also heard good things about Hawks Cay Resort but that is all second hand. Try fla-keys.com.