Reload this Page >

First visit to Chicago

Search

First visit to Chicago

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2002, 03:38 PM
Emma

First visit to Chicago

My husband and I would love to fly in to Chicago and take a bus tour of the city. What's the best month to go?

Old Aug 24th, 2002, 03:45 PM
Toni

You are going to love our city!!! We have great Fall weather. If you can visit then and even at Christmas, you will find our city just beautiful.

Old Aug 24th, 2002, 06:10 PM
Beth

Beautiful weather at Christmas? I don't think so, the decorations may be beautiful but I would hate to be out and about looking at the sights with 2 feet of snow on the ground and temps in the teens. As for fall, be careful. What I call fall, nice temps (60s), leaves jsut starting to turn etc. happens pretty early here like first week of October. After that we get into a really rainy gray season, not so go for touring. The city is great and there are a million things to do like Lincoln Park Zoo, Art Institute, Field Museum, Sshopping on Michigan Avenue, good restaurants, lively theater and music scene etc. In my opinion September is the best time to come. we have cooled from high humidity August but still plenty warm to wander around outdoors. If there is no strike, you may be able tos till catch a Sox or a Cubs game as well.

Old Aug 24th, 2002, 07:28 PM
jo

Middle of November to March are rather dreary months altho the snow and lights on Michigan Ave. are an unforgettable sight

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 05:46 AM
s

Hate to be out looking at lights with 2 ft. of snow on the ground and temps. in the teens? I on the other hand would LOVE that! That would be the ideal Christmas outing. I'd take that over 65 degrees and short sleeve shirts at Christmas in LA. Doesn't seem right.

It's all in your perspective. I think a snowy cold Christmas light outing in Chicago would be amazing. I pity those of you who pout all winter just waiting for the first 65 degree day again. What a waste of time just waiting. Get out and enjoy winter you wimps!!

Oh, to answer the question, I've visited Chicago in April which was nice aside from one rainy day. If the weather in May is like that in my midwest city (perfect!) (which has wonderful cold winters too!) then I would imagine May to be a great month to visit.

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 08:17 AM
Suzy

Chicago is unpredictable any time of year so it is hard to give a best month. It is a great city and I think you will be happy whenever you visit. Christmas is beautiful. Eventhough we all work in the city and have to get to work through the snow and sleet every day, my friends and I always spend a full day downtown before Christmas. We have afternoon tea at one of the hotels and spend all day shopping. A couple of years ago, we went the day after Thanksgiving at it was in the 70s.

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 08:18 AM
Suzy

Emma, I have never done a bus tour but the architural boat tour is great. You should try to do that - weather permitting of course.

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 10:54 AM
Emma

Thanks, everyone for taking the time to respond. Am looking forward to our first trip to Chicago. And you are all welcomed to visit California. Our 1000
miles of coastline is fantastic - breathless views.

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 11:05 AM
BTilke

Before planning a trip to Chicago, check to see if there are any big conventions in town. Every year, for example, I attend the big radiology meeting held in Chicago the week after Thanksgiving. The meeting takes up about 90% of Chicago hotel rooms and about 95% of the "name" and "boutique" hotels (Marriott, W, Sheraton, Hyatt, Four Seasons, Ritz, Omni, Monaco, Holiday Inns, Nikko, Continental, Drake, Palmer House, etc., etc.). Finding a room for that period is very difficult. But there are GREAT deals available for the week after...

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 02:52 PM
Emma

Thanks, Anthony. I didn't think of that.

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 11:21 PM
BTilke

The easiest way to find out ahead of time what conventions will be in town is go to www.mccormickplace.com and look at the Event Schedule. Check how much of the convention center will be used for an event--if it takes up the North, South AND Lakeside buildings, then it's a good bet the convention is large enough to eat up a lot of hotel rooms.
BTilke (not anthony!)

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 10:24 AM
Stephanie

Emma,

Take an architectural boat tour of the city!! It is so neat! The one I took was the Wendella Boat Tour. You can find out more information at Wendellaboats.com.

Have fun!

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 10:34 AM
Pat

Emma: Mid September to mid October - or mid May to mid June - the weather is usually beautiful and the kids are in school.