Chicago in December

Old Sep 8th, 2007, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chicago in December

I am planning a first time 4 day visit to Chicago in mid-December. I noticed that hotel rates drop drastically by then in comparison to November rates! Is this indicative that I've picked a bad time to visit? What is typical weather like then?
Old Sep 8th, 2007, 01:10 PM

It's not that different, weather-wise, although it's much more likely to snow in December. Expect days in the 30s and 40s and nights in the teens and 20s.

The hotel rates fluctuate a great deal depending on what large conventions are in town. Early November seems to be more popular for groups.
Old Sep 8th, 2007, 05:42 PM

November is a huge convention month for Chicago which is probably why the rates are higher. Dec. is typically in the 30s-40s like patg said. Typically the miserable weather doesn't hit until late Jan/Feb.
Old Sep 8th, 2007, 06:06 PM

Like other posters said the weather is about the same Nov & Dec. Could be great or could hit a snow storm. It will not be warm and remember it's called the windy city for a reason. The Christmas decorations will be up and that is always fun to look at. What are you wanting to do while there?
Old Sep 8th, 2007, 06:22 PM

No offense, henny, but it's called the windy city because of its politicians, not its weather. It was dubbed as such by a New York City editorial writer when both cities were vying to host a worlds fair (the Columbian Exposition of 1893). Statistically, Chicago is the 17th windiest city in the country.

I'd agree with those who've said the weather can vary quite a bit in December. There have been years when I've gone Christmas shopping in a light jacket. On the other hand, either this past winter or the one before, the coldest weather we had all winter was at the beginning of December. All you can really do is check weather.com shortly before you come so that you know what to pack!

Old Sep 8th, 2007, 08:38 PM

I agree that the weather can fluctuate in December, but usually it's COLD. If you plan to cover a lot of the city on foot, then bundle up - and if it's especially cold, there's no shame in long underwear. And have a warm hat!

If you plan to be by the lake and outside, watch out for the wind. I used to live on Lake Shore Drive and its the wind that makes you cold.

If you're there in mid Dec, consider going to the Mag Mile (Michigan Ave) to see the lights in the evening. It's really beautiful.
Old Sep 9th, 2007, 12:36 AM

barnum... I think it's a wonderful time to visit. Despite how it got it's nickname, it IS the wind coming in off of Lake Michigan that will eat right through you. But, typically, I find that much more of a concern in January, not mid-December.

The trick is to bring clothes you can layer. Generally, 40's, a t-shirt, a long-sleeved turtleneck and your winter jacket. 30's, a long sleeve t-shirt, a sweatshirt, your jacket. 20's, long underwear (tops and bottoms) sweatshirt, jacket. Teens, t-shirt, long underwear (tops and bottoms), fleece shirt or fleece sweatshirt, jacket. This is a good guide if you will be walking most of the downtown area (quite doable) and the wind is 10mph or more. The good thing about this is that you can always remove one of the articles of clothing if you get too warm. (If you don't wear enough, you will be miserable from the cold and damp.) Hint: I don't know if you are male or female, but wearing your long coat is probably preferable to a jacket. Reason being, you'd be surprised how cold your thighs will get in the Chicago wind. A long coat helps out there.

In all cases, a good hat that COVERS YOUR EARS is a must (or a hat and earmuffs). We lose up to 55% of our body heat through our heads. A good warm hat is essential. Also a scarf is a must. Can be used to protect your neck, your face or both. And gloves. GOOD warm gloves.

You will LOVE Chicago, I've no doubt. And right before Christmas, it is amazing. Hit Water Tower Place in the MM for some last-minute Xmas shopping!

The Field Museum of Natural History should not be missed, either. And then head across Lake Shore Drive to the Noble Planetarium and Shedd Aquarium. Some of the finest in the world.

And another must see...The Art Institute of Chicago. Can't miss it...two great big green (bronze) lions out front!

Enjoy!!!
Old Sep 9th, 2007, 04:08 AM

Yeah, last winter, there were days in December that were quite warm. Didn't get consistently frigid 'til Jan-Feb. I would bring layers of clothing, if possible, just in case.
Old Sep 9th, 2007, 05:06 PM
Original Poster

Sarge56 - Thanks, your post was especially helpful considering that I am from South Carolina and not at all used to such weather! Last year we spent Christmas in New York and it was surprisingly warm...several days we did not even need coats! Having never been to Chicago, I would like to mainly spend my time around Mag Mile,etc. doing touristy things and some Christmas shopping. Any tips for mid December are greatly appreciated!!
Old Sep 9th, 2007, 05:19 PM

For years, DH and I used to drive up to Chicago (3 hours) to do our Christmas shopping the weekend before Christmas. We always had such a great time! We stayed in the Raphael Hotel a few times and then switched to a few others, after having to wait a long time for the valet to bring our car around. The Barkley, which is now under a new name, was a favorite because of its location right behind Neiman Marcus, and next door to our favorite pizza place (Gino's East). Gino's has since moved away from this location. Alas.... Things change... but it was always such fun.

There is something very special about going down to the "Loop" to see the lovely store windows. You walk along with the crowd sipping hot cider and eating roasted chestnuts. We always wrapped up in our warmest coats and scarves and gloves.

I miss our December weekends in Chicago!

Have fun.
Old Sep 9th, 2007, 05:26 PM

In my expereince one of the best times to visit Chicago prior to Christmas is the week after their big Thanksgiving parade. It seems that the week after everyone is recoupoing from the week before or not quite ready for Christmas shopping, but the city is all ready! The crowds are less and you do get some warmer temps.

The last time we did this we were able to go to the Walnut room at Marshall Fields (now Macys of course) without a wait - sat right below the huge Christmas tree, went to see "A christmas Carol" with perfect seats, stayed at the Marriott on Michigan Ave for $70 from Priceline. The list goes on - no wait, great weather.

WHATEVER YOU DO...DO NOT....MISS...POPCORN AT GARRETTS! There might be a line there!
Old Sep 9th, 2007, 06:14 PM

I wouldn't wear long underwear unless it gets into the single digits. You'll die of heat exhaustion when you are indoors. I live in Chicago but spent most of my life in Florida, and it's not nearly as cold as people make it out to be. Pants, a long sleeved shirt, sweater, scarf, hat, coats, socks, and boots - you'll be perfect.

Btw, Garretts on Michigan may be closed by the time you visit. The building is being torn down for new construction. I don't know where they are moving to yet. But I'm sure you'll be able to go online and find out.
Old Sep 9th, 2007, 07:31 PM

barnum, you might want to check out the local theater soon, too. There will probably be at least one or two "Christmas" productions going on. Chicago has an awesome theater scene.

Here is a great link to start at re things to do in Chi-town!

http://www.visitchicagoland.com/area...t.cfm?cvb_id=2
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 05:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great suggestions!! I am going to book a hotel this week. Does anyone recommend PRICELINE? The rooms already seemed so reasonable. I saw rooms around $90 at The Inn of Chicago, etc. that seemed very decent. Perhaps I should do priceline though to save a few dollars?
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 06:28 PM

Unless I am getting a room with hotel points, I always use Priceline for Chicago hotels. It is very wise to first go to biddingfortravel.com and research what people are paying for chicago hotels.

Take your time a read through biddingfortravel.com - it is worth it!
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 08:41 PM

BEFORE you visit that biddingfortravel site, please read thread posted just tonight that says this site is out of date:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=134

If this is your first trip, bama, you may want to book your own hotel. Like every big city, there are areas of Chicago you DON'T want to be in.

You probably want to limit your hotel search to a particular area. I'm no longer living there, but perhaps someone that frequents downtown can give you some parameters re how far north/south/west is safe to stay.

Paula
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 08:52 AM

Sarge 56 already gave you the most important advice...layer your clothes! Some places are sweltering inside even when it's freezing outside. One thing I might add to the list is a small wind-proof umbrella (I bought a nice one from www.ebags.com). We sometimes get blowing, freezing rain that time of the year & regular umbrellas really are useless against it. But, you could also have beautiful, sunny 45 degree weather the whole time you're here. As long as you're prepared for changes in the weather you should have a great time. It really is a nice time to visit just because of the decorations & holiday spirit.
I'd also suggest lunch or a snack at Russian Tea Time (77 E. Adams) after some shopping or a trip to the Art Institute. It's a nice cold weather treat.
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 09:01 AM

Oops, forgot one thing...I'd check out the Chicago Reader website (www.chicagoreader.com) or pick up a hard copy the week of your visit to find out cultural, music, art happenings while you're here.
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great suggestions! Are there any Christmas markets like NYC has?
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 01:13 PM
JJ5

My two best Priceline prices ever for Chicago were in Jan. and Dec.

But the December one (and early too) had a real blizzard. You just never know.

Have a good time, and I bet it will be milder than 35 degrees, but wet.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -