first trip from Niagara falls to Ny-6 days

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2016, 12:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, We are (couple age 50) travelling for the first time to USA for two weeks in mid September. I need your help in planning a nice and scenic tour From Buffalo where we rent a car , through Watkins Glen, Finger Lakes, Lake placid,Adirondacks maybe Stowe or Burlington and finally arriving after 5 or 6 days to New York city from the Hudson Valley. I'd like to get some help , where we should visit , which nice and scenic routes we can take, where to sleep and if i have to make already reservations for the Motels/ Hotels or i can decide in the last minute depending on the place we like, and there we would like to stay maybe one night or two. Thank you ! -
Old Jul 16th, 2016, 04:52 AM

After leaving Buffalo, head West on I 90 until you see route 400 to East Aurora.

East Aurora is a quaint village with old shops, galleries, and was the home of the Roycroft furniture movement... There is also an old fashion five and dime called Viddlers... then pick up route 20 east that will take you across the north of the Finger Lakes.

On Rt 20, you will see Letchworth State Park, known as the Grand Canyon of the East... You spend hours there exploring and hiking, or just have a look...

Rt 20 continues along through villages, farms, and offers antique shops, food stops, and attractions... As you continue along, you will encounter the home of the women's movement, grand hotels on the Finger Lakes, boat tours, and the Wine region... A drive to Watkins Glen will pass several wineries and it's well worth stopping at Watkins Glen State park...

If you return back to Rt 20, you can continue along some of New Yorks best scenery until you reach Albany... Then you can head North to the Adirondack mountains, or continue east to New England... Have fun...
Old Jul 16th, 2016, 04:59 AM

A couple of notes:

You really need to go to Canada to see the Falls - the best views - and also more pleasant hotels are there and you can also see Niagara on the Lake - a charming town Make sure the car rental agency knows you will be going to Canada so you have the right paperwork. (The US side is frankly kind of dreary and you can see the falls only from the top, not the front.)

Yes, I would definitely make reservations in advance - even if only a couple of days. That is still high season with a lot of retired travelers once the kids are back in school.

Consider stopping in Saratoga Springs, a 19th century resort town with a great racing museum, and Lake George.
Old Jul 16th, 2016, 06:00 AM

Rhinebeck, Storm King, Cold Spring,

Hudson, NY the town has art galleries

Kykuit
http://www.hudsonvalley.org/historic-sites/kykuit

The Culinary Institute of America commonly called the CIA.
Old Jul 16th, 2016, 06:44 AM

We are headed for Niagara On the Lake Monday. Native NY'er, never been to the Falls before, passed it, but never stopped.

I guess you have to be from OZ to appreciate it. 9 out of 10 foreigners who ask about it are from there.
Old Jul 16th, 2016, 10:13 AM

That'll make a great trip. I would add a stop in Ithaca (the Cornell University campus is gorgeous -- the slogan is "Cornell is Gorges" because of all the, well, gorges in the area.

There are many such lists on here, but here's a link to my thread from 2012 when we visited the Hudson Valley.

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...62177-2.cfm?19