Search

First timers looking for a Miami Beach hotel

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26th, 2009, 04:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First timers looking for a Miami Beach hotel

Hi-
I've been looking on line for awhile but can't seem to find just the right one for us.
We're seniors and never were much into nightlife so would South Beach be too wild?
Want to take a few tours and a cruise of Key Biscayne so must be on Collins Avenue for bus pickup. We're good walkers and enjoy dining anywhere. Plan to see Vizcaya. Would like a small-medium sized, fairly quiet, medium priced place for early December.
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 06:55 PM

THe Cadet Hotel in South Beach, is a nice place. You can walk everywhere from there , it is a block from Collins and I do not think it would make a difference for pick ups or you can walk a block. I like it, it is the little hotel where Clark Gable stayed during World War II.
www.cadethotel.com. Have fun.
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 06:58 PM

I wish to add that you will be able to walk by the beach walk, and from that hotel enjoy also the pedestrian Lincoln , where there are many shops and restaurants. You shall be in the center of everything but because the Cadet is in a side street it will be quiter. i live in Miami Beach ,the place to enjoy a short stay is South Beach and the beauty of it you do not need to worry parking your car or paying exhorbitant parking fees,
Old Oct 27th, 2009, 06:04 AM
cd

DH and I are seniors and we loved South Beach, did not find it too wild at all. We stayed at a hotel with beach front but the hotel recommended above has good reviews. We had considered staying at the Cadet but in the end wanted something on the beach. I don't remember the name of the hotel where we stayed but there is a whole line of them with beachfront. We enjoyed walking the boardwalk that is behind the line of hotels. It is located between the hotels pools and the ocean.
Old Oct 27th, 2009, 06:17 AM

We stayed at Essex House, on Collins, a couple years ago before flying on to Colombia. It was our second stay there. Not a deluxe property, but I like the location, and the room was fine. Even included breakfast, as I recall.

I've never found South Beach to be very wild, I suspect that's because I'm in bed before the clubs even open.
Old Oct 27th, 2009, 11:05 AM

Bus pick-up for tours on Collins only? Wow, I didn't know that!

We'll be in Miami Jan 6-10 staying at Clinton on Washington, and Collins doesn't look like a large street, more like a back alley of this hotel.

Why Collins?

(and we'll have time for GTG if anybody's interested, I'll start another thread)
Old Oct 27th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the good suggestions. I've considered The Cadet but didn't know about The Essex.We won't have a car until we leave Miami. I just thought that Collins was the main drag but I see now that the beach hotels are all on Ocean Drive. Does anyone know a nice one for under $200 double-early Dec.]?
Old Oct 27th, 2009, 12:06 PM

We just came back from Miami Beach. We stayed at the Renaissance Eden Roc (a Marriott resort) on Collins.

We got this resort with a $100 Priceline bid, and we were very happy with our stay.
Old Oct 27th, 2009, 12:23 PM

Dayenu, Collins IS the main road that goes though South Beach and has tons of hotels. Staying on Collins is great because you're right on the ocean as opposed to across the street from the water on Ocean Drive.

As for where to stay, the cheaper the accomodations, the more risk you run of the "spring break' crowd. There's a new W right on Collins that would be a great choice. Also check out the Raleigh and the Loews.
Old Oct 27th, 2009, 12:24 PM
cd

I would suggest Priceline and bid on oceanfront South Beach Collins.

You can also check out Hotels.com and check on SouthBeach Oceanfront Collins.
Old Oct 27th, 2009, 12:47 PM

Check out the Doubletree Surfcomber at 1717 Collins... sounds like a perfect fit....
Old Oct 28th, 2009, 04:32 PM

Check out the Grand Beach Hotel. It is brand new (scheduled to open in November 2009) and located ocean-front in "Mid-Beach". Close to Fontainebleau and Eden Roc, which means only a short drive from the restaurants in South Beach, but still far enough to enjoy a relaxing and peaceful stay.

Oversized rooms, balcony, refrigerator, free wireless, 3 pools and ample on-site parking. Rates will be reasonable as the hotel is about to open. The hotel also offer an Advance Purchase Rate with a 15% discount.

http://www.MiamiHotelGrandBeach.com
Old Oct 29th, 2009, 06:24 AM

The north end of Ocean Drive is less party party and really nice. Plus you can walk to the Lincoln Road area. We really enjoyed our stay at Lowes. It is a pricey place, but we got a great deal on-line. The are is perfect though. We also really liked the Cardozo Hotel. The Emerils inside Lowes is the best Emerils we've been to.

Have fun!