First time in Texas

Old Feb 26th, 2023, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First time in Texas

Hello,
We are planning our first visit to Texas at the end of April- beginning of May.
Our destinations are Houston, San Antonio, Austin and Dallas with Fort Worth
We are thinking to spend 10 - 14 days there.
We are very welcome to any suggestions with Itinerary.
We are 68 and 70 years old but we are very active.
Our points of interest include nature, good museums and some really interesting places in the cities or outside.
Thanks in advance.
Vadim
Old Feb 26th, 2023, 11:35 AM

I really loved visiting McKinney, TX about 40 minutes north of Dallas/Ft Worth. It is a gorgeous small town that make for greatl walking, historic points, and unusual shops. In addition, if you are up for a hike, the Heard Museum and Wildlife Center has a 2.5 easy hike that passes through four different ecosystems: blackland prairie, cypress forest, swamp, and white rock escarpment.

Wherever you go, visit a heladeria (Mexican ice cream parlor) for some homemade horchata - it is awesome.

Of course, the Stockyards area of Ft Worth is a unique treasure and well worth a visit, firmly on the well trod tourist route.
Old Feb 26th, 2023, 02:16 PM

In San Antonio spend some time visiting the River Walk and the Alamo

In Dallas visit the Sixth Floor at the Book Depository, The Dallas Arboretum and Botanical Gardens, The Dallas Aquarium, the Perot Museum of Nature & Science and Nasher Sculpture Center

In addition to the Fort Worth Stock Yards visit the Kimbell Art Museum, The Fort Worth Zoo, The FW Botanical Gardens, FW Water Gardens, The Amon Carter Museum, The FW Museum of Modern Art, National Cowgirl Hall of Fame, the FW Museum of Science and History, Texas Civil War Museum and the Vintage Flying Museum.
Old Feb 26th, 2023, 06:11 PM

https://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/wild...ife-trails/ctc
Old Feb 26th, 2023, 06:42 PM

Details?

Will you be driving or flying between cities? Texas is rather huge, and you can spend the better part of a day driving from DFW to SA, for example.

In San Antonio, the Riverwalk/Paseo del Rio and Alamo are the core tourist sights, but don't miss the San Antonio Missions, San Antonio Museum of Art, McNay art museum, Briscoe Western Art museum and Ruby City if you are into contemporary art. Be forewarned that the last week of April includes Fiesta, sort of like Mardi Gras with more flowers and less exposed bosoms so things will be crowded and expensive. To do some advance planning, check out the Visit SA website. The Hill Country outside SA has some great wineries, making for a nice day trip.
Old Feb 27th, 2023, 05:50 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
There is a very interesting National Museum of the Pacific War in Fredericksburg TX. Fredericksburg was the boyhood home of Admiral Chester Nimitz. One of the sights I saw there was a small Japanese submarine that was captured at the mouth of Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941.
Old Feb 27th, 2023, 06:33 AM

Fredricksburg also features stone buildings built by Germans, biergardens and a lively downtown.Travel on Scenic Highway 16 and look at the wildflowers such as Bluebonnets.

Settled by Germans, Boerne is a good place to eat German food, Southern BBQ, and Tex-Mex and explore historic German buildings (esp. South Boerne). The historic downtown is a mile long. “Put on your walking shoes and delight in the meandering paths along the banks of the Cibolo Creek in River Road Park, meticulously maintained historic properties, pocket parks, notable restaurants.”
Old Feb 28th, 2023, 05:41 PM

There is a string of Spanish missions south of San Antoni, https://www.nps.gov/saan/index.htm

https://flic.kr/p/7T58ng
Old Mar 1st, 2023, 07:25 AM

I'm not a fan of Dallas, but Ft. Worth is so different. Lots of culture and museums in FW. Houston is wonderful, too, especially for eating! I live between Austin and San Antonio, and if I had to spend more time in one or the other, it would be SA. Again, tons of culture and good food. I know most people can't not go to the Alamo and Riverwalk, but be prepared to be unimpressed. Also, the Riverwalk can be sketchy at night, so go during the day. Make sure you visit the SA missions; they are so wonderful. Stop in New Braunfels and Gruene when traveling from Austin to SA and get some German food from Alpine Haus and then go next door to Naegelin's German Bakery.
Old Mar 1st, 2023, 06:24 PM

fake news LOL

leekel - respectfully, the Riverwalk has not been "sketchy at night" in several decades! It's usually pretty thronged with tourists.
Old Mar 2nd, 2023, 06:33 AM

Here's your fake news, I guess:
https://www.ksat.com/news/local/2022...-for-visitors/

A scary situation happened to me at the Riverwalk a few years ago where a guy attempted to snatch my purse. He didn't realize the guy walking behind him was my husband, so that didn't work out well for him. There are sections, especially under the bridges, with no lights. All you have to do is Google "How safe is the San Antonio Riverwalk?"

Old Mar 2nd, 2023, 04:33 PM

Just an opinion but the San Antonio missions are in poor shape compared to ones in California and Arizona. Worth seeing but on the ruin end of things.
Old Mar 2nd, 2023, 05:39 PM

lee- sorry you had that experience, but that "news" piece is just clickbait. Given the huge volume of tourists who visit, the incidence of such incidents is quite rare.