FAX ID and credit?

Old Oct 13th, 2002, 03:15 PM
wonder

FAX ID and credit?

Is it save to fax credit cards, front and back, and drivers license to hotels?
What have you experenced? How do you pay for a room as a gift for someone else, this was for my kids.
Please teach me what I should know about this issue, and what is legal to require, online or faxed.

Old Oct 13th, 2002, 05:56 PM
Jim Rosenberg

I'm not sure who you're dealing with, but the cleanest way for me has always been to deal with the family member, vs. dealing with the hotel. When I've booked for my son, I just provide the number/exp. date (usually online), as if I'm booking the room for myself. Then I simply have him use my card. You can also reserve the room with a cc and simply provide your kids with the money to settle; (they would generally need a card of some kind for the hotel to run when they check in, but not necessarily the one used to reserve the room.)

In very popular areas during popular times when things frequently book up completely, hotels can set more onerous rules/rates/minimums because they know they will find someone else to jump through the hoop if you won't. (Beach areas around spring break are an example). Also, many hotels are extra careful when dealing with younger guests and others may refuse younger guests entirely.

Is there a way for you to pre-pay by a check? I don't blame you for not wanting to FAX what you describe, although it may not be a problem if you know you are dealing with a reputable business.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 11:47 AM
wonder

Thank you for your reply, Mr. Rosenberg. This was a spur of the moment gift for my adult son and his wife. I am a Hilton Honors VIP member and have a Hilton Honors American Express Card. I am in the north and they live in the south. I thought it would be a nice gift for them to stay at the Doubletree rather than the hour drive home after a special gathering. I made the reservation online for the next night,from the HHonors web site with my member ID# and charged to my HH American EX card,already on file as my prefered payment for all Hilton stays. I wrote in COMMENTS: This is a gift for Mr.& Mrs.---. Printed the conformation and emailed it to my son. I worried all night, and called the front desk at the Doubletree, she said she would fax the authorization form, fax back signed and there would be no problem. Heard nothing, so as the time is running closer, I ran over to the Hilton near by, and she faxed the form to the Doubletree. Then on the phone, they said they also need my Amex, front and back.Now its almost time for the wedding.With great resistance and fear, I finally let her fax my card. Now,by phone,the say thats not enough, need photo ID and signature. My Visa has both.Still not enough, now they want my Drivers Licence. I'm ill reliving this! The Hilton staff was wonderful and couldn't understand why they kept asking for more, and more, and more. I was there in person,with the conformation, all ID's HH's VIP member and HH american express, we were going to send my wet hanky so they would have my DNA also. I am beyond upset about this.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 11:54 AM
wonder

Thank you for your reply, Mr. Rosenberg. This was a spur of the moment gift for my adult son and his wife. I am an elderly Hilton Honors VIP member and have a Hilton Honors American Express Card. I am in the north and they live in the south. I thought it would be a nice gift for them to stay the night rather than the hour drive home after a special gathering.The Hilton was booked,so from the Hilton Honors website, I made the reservation online for the next night,with my member HHID# and charged to my HH American EX card,already on file as my prefered payment for all Hilton stays. I wrote in COMMENTS: This is a gift for Mr.& Mrs.---. Printed the conformation and emailed it to my son. I worried all night about swiping a card, and called the front desk at the Doubletree, she said she would fax the authorization form, fax back signed and there would be no problem. Heard nothing, so as the time is running closer, I ran over to the Hilton near by, and she faxed the form to the Doubletree. Then on the phone, they said they also need my Amex, front and back.Now its almost time for the wedding.With great resistance and fear, I finally let her fax my card. Now,by phone,the say thats not enough, need photo ID and more signature. My BofA Visa has both.Still not enough, now they want my Drivers Licence. I'm ill reliving this! The Hilton staff was wonderful and couldn't understand why they kept asking for more, and more, and more. I was there in person,with the conformation, all ID's HH's VIP member and HH american express, we were going to send my wet hanky so they would have my DNA also. I am beyond upset about this.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 11:54 AM
xxx

My son was in Panama City spring break and couldn't get a room for the budget he and his friends could afford. Ran short on money, so called Me and I spoke with a comfort inn on the beach. I said yes I am his Mother put the room on my credit card. At 10 p.m. I had to go to a hotel in my area, which is in Philadelphia, and have the hotel fax my credit card info. They would not take it from me over the phone. It is a safety precaution these days. it was a minor inconvenience, to say the least, but it all worked out and he had a place to sleep.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 11:59 AM
xxx

Don't sweat it, I'm sure everything will work just fine.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 01:28 PM
Dick

If it was me, I would not have faxed additional card info.

In my opinion, faxing additional credit card info is leaving yourself open for credit card theft.

Although you wouldn't be liable for fradulent charges, the grief caused and time need to straighten it out is not worth taking the chance.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 03:49 PM
wonder

Dick, that is exactly how I felt. The wedding had already begun,and my fear was they would go to the reception dinner, stay late and arrive at the hotel after midnight and their room would be gone. I feel violated forced to fax so much. If they had called when they processed the reservation, I would have made sure my son had his card with him, and then sent the money for him to pay his card. If I had been told, I would have done it as they may have requested.Also,it should be made clear on the conformation wheither the card had PAID or was only holding the reservation. And most upsetting, was to submit their request,and be asked for more, submit, again more........
as for "don't sweat it",help yourself, I'm glad you have not had a problem, but I am concerned with credit fraud and idenity theift and how expensive and distructive it is through out our society..
My point is all my information is already on file with Hilton and HHAmerican Express. All they needed was to varify the couple checking in was ID as Mr & Mrs---,and they had the conformation copy with them. If the local staff could see I more than proved who I was, the Doubletree staff should have accepted. And make clear what is needed, dont keep asking of more and more and more.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 05:13 PM
Jim Rosenberg

YUK! What a horrid experience! While I have no doubt everything is going to turn out just fine, I think you should send a letter to the customer service department at Hilton (NOT the specific hotel, but the HQ) and explain this run-around. They are not technically responsible for the actions of the offending hotel, but they do guard their nameplate's reputation and you may well be able to pick up some kind of peace offering for all of your trouble.

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 05:18 AM
Dick

Wonder, I agree, it was overkill.

Lets be realistic, when I check into a hotel ..all the want is my credit card imprint. They don't ask for photo ID and really don't know if I am fraudulently using a credit card. (One not yet reported as fraudulent)

I sigend up for Credit Card watch through Equifax. It includes unlimited credit reports and my Fico Score which helps to know when refinancing, buying car, etc. https://www.econsumer.equifax.com/webapp/ConsumerProducts/pgConsumerProducts?^start=&

That way I am informed if someone tries to use my identity to open accounts.

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 06:19 AM
mh

I would be very RELUCTANT to fax this type of information to anyone. You have no idea where this information is going and what ideas they have. My first thought was this guy has been targeted for theft by the person who keeps asking for more and more information. Alot of identity theft and fraud starts with a dishonest employee, quietly gathering informaton from people who are too trusting. I hoee this works out but something just doesn't sound kosher!!!

Old Nov 17th, 2002, 12:39 PM
wonder

a month has passed. Hilton Honors promised to credit my account for the charge, but no refund yet. I was Emailed that the Doubletree would phone in 72 hours, but I have never heard from them. My Emails are now ignored I guess, as no more replys. How do you find the top boss in hotel chains?

Old Nov 17th, 2002, 09:37 PM
David

Go to the link below for the information on Hilton Hotel Corporate management. Mr. Dieter Huckestein, the president of hotel operations, is probably the best person to direct your letter to.

What a terrible experience. I am surprised that a company as reputable as Hilton would treat their guests in this manner.

Hope this information helps.

Hilton Hotels Corporation
9336 Civic Center Drive
Beverly Hills, CA 90210

http://www.corporate-ir.net/ireye/ir...LT&script=2200

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 01:08 PM
wonder

David, thank you. I deeply appreciate your help!